5.0 out of 5 stars Great for quick meals! My new go-to raw book.
Published on May 7, 2012 by K. I. Hope

2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes look/sound better than they taste
Published 23 months ago by KaLee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for quick meals! My new go-to raw book., May 7, 2012
K. I. Hope (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eat Raw, Eat Well: 400 Raw, Vegan and Gluten-Free Recipes (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Doug McNish since I stumbled upon his recipes on Blisstree last year. I made his sour cream and onion kale chips and his pumpkin pie. Both were simple and delicious. When I heard he had a whole book out, I had to get it immediately! So far I have only tried a few things - you can see I added my photo of the banana bread with cashew whipped cream. It was FANTASTIC! I also made cashew spinach dip, packed with a whole head of fresh spinach, lots of lemon juice and black pepper and cheesy nutritional yeast. I ate it for dinner with carrot sticks and celery sticks and it was so filling I took the other half for lunch - and I halved the recipe to begin with. If you are just cooking for yourself, I would cut some of the recipes in half if you don't think you'll want to eat more than one set of leftovers. His recipes are really flexible and seem to come out delicious no matter what you do! I have read all the raw books - we know who the "main" people are in this world - and their recipes just don't come out right all the time. Someone can be a great chef without creating great adaptable recipes. Thankfully, Doug is both! I can't say enough good things about this book, just buy it, trust me! Or, if you want to try it out, request it at your local library - mine is ordering a copy already.

2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes look/sound better than they taste, August 17, 2012
After trying several of the recipes in this book during the past week, I decided to check this site to see others' opinions (I had forgotten). Based on my results (disappointing), I was shocked at the 5-Star rating. The recipes I've tried seem flawed. In my opinion, they would require significant modifications in order to (maybe) make them worth trying again. My first attempt was the Cheesy Nori Snacks. There is no way 1/4 cup of Cashew Cheddar Cheese will produce a 1-inch layer on a sheet of nori -- surely a misprint. And, how long would it take a layer that thick to dehydrate? Long enough to go bad, I'm sure! The Walnut Portobello Burgers were tasty, but way too salty with both tamari and salt. I'm currently dehydrating the Thai-Style Nuts 'n' Bolts, and can already tell that there is too much sauce for the quantity of nuts, and that once dehydrated, it will taste too strong. There is also an error in this recipe, which omits what to do with the cumin and chili powder in the instructions. The Green Coconut Curried Vegetables also contain too much sauce for the quantity of vegetables. I reduced the water from 3/4 cup to about 2T, realizing it would be more like a soup than a "main event". Again, too much salt -- 2 tsp for 2 1/2 cups of fresh vegetables??? I reduced it to 1/2 tsp. The Mega-Green Hemp Bowl was actually pretty good, once the salt was reduced. But, we tried it with the Spicy Miso Dressing, and found the flavour too strong. Perhaps I've just made poor choices in which recipes to try. There is nothing subtle about the flavour of this food. And, if eating raw/vegan/gluten-free is supposed to be healthy, why so much salt? So far, I much prefer the recipes in "I Am Grateful -- Recipes & Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitude".

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!, April 7, 2012
I have to say that this is the best Raw Food Book I own!
I bought one for my daughter too and she loves it.
The recipes are simple, the ingredients are easy to find and the ones I have tried taste amazing - Chocolate Walnut Brownies are to die for.
I love the specific Tips he gives for each recipe, so helpful!
You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!!!, April 12, 2012
This is a great recipe book for people who adhere to any diet! The recipes are easy to follow and taste amazing!!!! Also included are lots of great tips as well as tips on equipment, kitchen techniques, etc. The banana cream pie smoothie is to die for and I love the raw red beet ravioli with cashew cheese, delicious!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for people who don't have hours to devote to meal preparation, July 6, 2012
I really wanted to like this cookbook. BUT: since so many of the recipes require the inclusion of ingredients that one has to make from OTHER recipes, what one faces if one tries to use this cookbook is often a complicated and time-consuming meal preparation regime. I don't have the time (or, frankly, the inclination) to do this as a matter of course. I don't know many people who do! So large portions of this cookbook are simply not useful.

How I wish that either the description of the book (or other reviewers' comments) had made it clear that many of the recipes required the inclusion of 'ingredients' that one had to make using other recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Raw Food Book!!, June 17, 2012
I'm a book-junkie of all kinds. Especially raw food. I pretty much buy every raw food book that comes down the pike. (I think Amazon has a portrait of me hanging in their corporate office.) This book is by far my favorite one. It's the easiest to understand and follow. I've got several books that after reading the recipe I go, "Huh?". Not with "Eat Raw Eat Well"! Everything is made clear and the dishes are delicious!! And there are four-hundred of them!! What a deal!! I highly recommend this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars exceptional recipes and easy format, May 23, 2012
I have an extensive collection of raw/vegan books. This one is hands down the easiest to follow and filled with the most delicious recipes. Doug has a natural ability and talent for creative, delectable dishes and his book is the second best thing to being in the kitchen with a top chef. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone! You don't need to be raw or vegan. All you need to do is buy the ingredients and he will walk you through how easy it is to make and devour delicious, super healthy food. Bravo to the author and thank you for this treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Raw Recipe Book Out There!!, June 21, 2012
I have borrowed many Raw, recipe books from the library and brought them all back. There were books I've used with great recipes in them, but none that became a staple recipe book like Eat Raw, Eat Well. This book is used every single day in our home. We are high-raw Vegans, with a Hippocrates-style bent. We can EASILY take these recipes and create fabulous, gourmet meals with replacing one thing for another as the flavors he combines in his recipes are so vibrant!!

We are a family with three young children and our kids constantly ask for more of these dishes. We need quick, easy recipes and it's amazing how quickly these recipes come together!!

You would think I am best friends with this author, the way I'm going about him. Truth is, we had no idea who he was until I googled him a couple of weeks ago and realized he lived less than 100 km away from us, AND was the chef for the very first raw restaurant we've ever been to (which turned us on to the Raw Diet in the first place)!!

It's all come around full circle and we are excited about this recipe book!!! I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw food easy and tasty even for a beginner, January 26, 2013
About two years ago, I first heard of 'raw food' and have been curious since then. When I saw Eat Raw, Eat Well by Douglas McNish in the store, I had to bring it home and hopefully satisfy my yearnings. Right off, I have to tell you that I wasn't disappointed and that Chef Doug exceeded my expectations in every area. I found that each dish was a flavour adventure and that there is no reason for eating boring, flavourless foods when there are innovative chefs like Doug who are willing to share their well devised recipes.

A the beginning of the book is an introduction to raw foods including a section about eating raw in frigid weather. (spiciness does help). After a discussion of cooking techniques and kitchen tools, Dough launches in to the recipes.

I will admit, that I had a hard time getting past the breakfast and smoothies sections. The "Sweet Green Drink" with kale, spinach and romaine could be part of my lunch every day and I'd never get tired of it.

As with all the recipes, there are substitutions suggested where appropriate. This worked well with the smoothies as it made it easy to add in a fruit or vegetable that was available for one that was too pricey when I was shopping.

What surprised me, is that most of the smoothies start with a base of a cup of almond milk. Previously I would have used juice, but the almond milk, or other nut/seed milk, makes for a creamier and more whole bodied drink.

The breakfast porridge were a nice change of manufactured cold cereals and a lot more filling. They do take a bit of time to prepare, but not much longer than a pot of steel cut oatmeal.

My family did have a hard time accepting that soup didn't come to the table steaming hot. I tried two soups, and both were very easy to make in the blender. Pre-chopping or shredding the vegetables helps to make for a creamier soup. I have a good quality Waring blender and it worked well, though a larger volume jug would be better. Using raw butternut squash in soup took a little getting used to, but once it was blended, I was able to overlook that. Next time, I would use a little less curry powder in the "Butternut Squash and Mango Soup". The soup wasn't actually cold, as the speed of the blender tends to generate a certain amount of heat.

If you can think of a traditional spread or dip, Doug has included a vegan, raw version. Hemp Avocado Mayonnaise, Cashew Spinach Dip, and several meatless pates. The "Pumpkin Seed Chimichurri Dip" was full of flavour with a slightly grainy texture, (made in the food processor). I had a hard time getting the dish away from hubby. Most recipes have a side bar that contains tips of techniques such as how to soak pumpkin seeds. Also included are nutritional information about that particular recipe ie: why pumpkin seeds are so good for your body.

Yes, you can make a filling main dish based on vegetables. Seeds and nuts pureed in the sauce adds the protein that gives that lasting 'full' feeling. Even though hubby was skeptical, he enjoyed both main dishes that I prepared. The parsnip fettuccine had me totally fooled into thinking it was traditional pasta. Marinating it in olive oil and lemon juice softened it and the colour fooled my brain as to what it really was.

The "Spicy Pad Thai" sauce was made with hemp seeds and a full teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Served with the spiral cut zucchini it was perfectly spicy, but spooned over traditional ravioli, it was a bit too spicy. I made a half serving as I didn't think my family would be willing to give it a taste test, but they surprised me and ladeled it on.

No cookbook review would be complete without me delving into the dessert section. I decided to keep it simple and try the "Chocolate Walnut Brownies". Three simple ingredients: walnuts, cocoa powder and agave ( I used carob and honey). They are chewy and full of flavour and would suit the sweet tooth cravings of any diner. There are desserts in the book that are suitable for a fancy celebration: Chocolate Avocado Torte, Pumpkin Pie and Cashew Cheesecake (all gluten and dairy free) to name just a few.

I have already marked several more recipes for tasting and a few of these for repeat.

Thanks to Chef Doug for answering my enquiries as to buckwheat grouts. They are a whole grout that has not been toasted. Doug can be found on his Facebook Page and lives and cooks in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rawsome!, July 13, 2012
I have made the spaghetti bolognese and had a look though. The spaghetti bol was amazing! I am so excited to try the other recipes, they all look amazing. The tips on the side are really helpful. Only downfall is the indexing could be a little better to make finding recipes easier, and there is a lot of going back and forth (e.g. the spaghetti bol was a combination of 3 recipes 50 or so pages apart), though the more I use it the more I expect it will be easier to get around the book. A MUST for anyone who loves raw food!

Eat Raw, Eat Well: 400 Raw, Vegan and Gluten-Free Recipes
Eat Raw, Eat Well: 400 Raw, Vegan and Gluten-Free Recipes by Douglas McNish (Paperback - March 15, 2012)
$24.95 $16.63