Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on April 10, 2012
As a psychotherapist who uses mindful eating techniques to help my diabetic & prediabetic clients, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. How to live and thrive with diabetes becomes very clear in every chapter. The normal fear after receiving a diagnosis of diabetes is dispelled as the reader is walked, step by step through the process of understanding what diabetes is. Then we are shown how mindfulness
"helps focus our attention and awareness on the present moment, which, in turn, helps us disengage from habitual, unsatisfying,
unskillful habits and behaviors. Engaging in mindful eating practices on a regular basis can help us discover a far more
satisfying relationship to food and eating than we ever imagined or experienced before. A different kind of nourishment often
emerges, the kind that offers satisfaction on a very deep emotional level."
Authors Michelle May, MD physician, and Megrette Fletcher, MEd, RD, CDE, dietitian and certified diabetes educator, present an easy-to-understand model of different styles of eating: Restrictive Eating (rigid dieting), Overeating and Instinctive Eating. They help us see how Instinctive Eating helps us learn how to listen to the wisdom of our bodies. People who have been diagnosed with diabetes often have come to mistrust their body. They feel that their body with its out of control hunger is the problem, the enemy. This book guides them artfully to listen for signs of hunger and then to notice when they are satisfied. They learn the importance of balancing nourishment with pleasure.
The reader is taught what diabetes is and how to manage it in simple terms so that it is not something to fear, but something to be in charge of. Knowledge and understanding create an internal state of safety and calm.
The reader is taught self-empowering ways of thinking. For example, under the heading of "Self-Defeating vs. Affirming", they write,
"I don't have the energy" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because if you don't exercise, you'll continue to have low energy.
Replace self-defeating thoughts with affirming ones like "I feel myself becoming healthier and more energetic each day"...It turns
out that exercise increases your strength and stamina, and it helps you to sleep better so that you become more productive and feel
great.
Various triggers to eat when your body is not really needing fuel are addressed. These include physical triggers, environmental triggers, emotional triggers and Diabetes-related triggers.
Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia are addressed with ways to recognize them and then comfortably deal with them.
Diabetes care is explained and made relatively easy with a 7 Day Fearless Blood Glucose Monitoring Log. Rather than running away from what is going on in your body, you are encouraged to be curious so that you can become aware of your body's subtle cues as to what different blood glucose levels feel like for you.
Guidance about what to eat, how to eat mindfully in order to be in charge of your diabetes responsibly and yet to not feel deprived are provided. The authors believe that
"The most effective way to make permanent healthy lifestyle changes to manage your diabetes is to learn to eat according to your
body's signals and to eat as healthfully as possible without feeling deprived. You can achieve this balance when you use reliable
nutrition information to make your food choices while still allowing yourself the freedom to eat what you love without judging
yourself or feeling guilty."
Guidance is also given about taking medications, making sense of carbohydrate confusion, exercise (including instructions for stretching & strength training), and how to stay healthy with diabetes.
There is so much more to this book. As a psychotherapist I really applaud the enthusiasm that is present on every single page. The reader feels like being in charge of diabetes is doable. Everything that you need to have a healthy, vibrant life with diabetes is presented in this wonderful book.
on May 29, 2012
As a therapist who has worked with a disordered eating population for over 30 years, using a mindfulness-based approach, I am well aware of how resistant my clients are to rules, diets, restriction, and fear-based strategies, even after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes 2. I therefore read Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat very carefully, with a critical eye. To my delight, I have found a book, which I feel comfortable recommending to my pre-diabetic and diabetic clients.

From the gentle, supportive, hopeful, realistic and empowering introduction to the end of the book, I see this as an engaging guide to help people thrive with diabetes. The careful articulation shifting "control" to being "in charge" of one's eating, and the weaving of the Mindful Eating Cycle throughout the book succeeds in emphasizing that HOW one eats, rather than WHAT one eats is the key to a balanced and satisfying relationship with food and body. Throughout, there is an invitation to assess one's eating patterns and personal style in a way, which enhances mindful awareness and fosters a non-judgmental attitude.

The book provides an excellent understanding of the mechanism of diabetes and techniques for self-care. One client's husband, who is an endocrinologist, read it, and is recommending it highly to his patients. It is organized very well and written with intention and clarity.

Another client who read the book really understood that she does not have to eat by formula, but can eat responsively. The My Plate concept was informative, rather than triggering. This client also appreciated hearing that ten minutes of exercise has a beneficial effect.

I enthusiastically recommend Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat , and thank Michelle May and Megrette Fletcher for this contribution to the field.

Alice J. Rosen, LMHC
[...]
on January 16, 2013
This book changed my approach to the way I look at Food - It's not the enemy. I don't have diabetes but I am overweight and border line pre-diabetes. This BOOK gave me a greater understanding of Carbs and Fat and the relationship to the effects on my body. I LOVE LOVE the healthy eating tips on page 108. This book was easy to read, easy to understand, it really educated me and motivated me to be more mindful in my eating habits. My FAVORITES were the Nourishment chapters!!
on October 7, 2013
I've been working on mindful eating for some time. But with Insulin Resistance I wasn't sure I could find the way to make this work for me successfully. This book filled in the missing blanks for me.
on February 18, 2013
Diabetes is a growing problem around the world, exacerbated often by poor dietary control and overeating. A much-larger group of people are at risk of getting diabetes and already have pre-diabetes, a state in which some but not all of the diagnostic criteria for diabetes are met. Once caught, the long-term prognosis is not great, requiring strict dietary restrictions and often lifestyle changes as well as medication.

This book tries to plough a more manageable pathway for those affected by diabetes or pre-diabetes as well as, through its advice, offering suggestions for change that could avert the onset of the sickness. Based around managing an existing situation through moderation rather than isolation, the author's programme seeks to reduce overall anxiety and the "hassle factors" that drab many, whilst appreciating any limitations and restrictions that may exist.

This approach is particularly appealing when one does not have full-blown diabetes as there is more scope to make non-drastic changes in time, removing a lot of possible problems in the process. But even those who are confirmed diabetic can find some small comforts through sensible, careful change. Not everything you like needs to be banned. Just moderated. Of course, there is no magic cure or solution yet the four-stage method of examining one's whole meaning and methodology of eating, how diabetes affects their individual body and how positive changes can and will have an impact and give results. The author calls it mindful eating and a mindful lifestyle.

Naturally there is no suggestion of adjusting medication as this is the sole domain of a doctor or similar healthcare professional, but one is able to make their own lifestyle changes and discuss things with a professional.

The book is written in a fairly light-hearted, open manner that is always a bonus with this kind of material. The reader is able to determine whether they gel with this book and its proposed programme or not. In reality it does not place any insurmountable changes to the reader, but it does demand a level of compliance for the reader's own benefit. There is no unnecessary sugar (!) on the pill. It just doesn't need it. The reader can judge for themselves what would be expected of them, why and the possible benefits.

Mixing together motivation, inspiration, education and achievable goals together, the author makes a good pitch for attention by showing that just because the reader may have a fairly serious illness, that can be controlled within reason, they need not think that everything they previously used to enjoy is now forbidden.

With that in mind, this book could be a useful resource for the newly-diabetic person or for those who are concerned that they are possibly destined to become diabetic unless they manage to make some lifestyle changes. This book, some hard effort and maybe some professional consultation, might work for your own good in the future if you let it. There is really no downside as even if you don't gel with the programme as a whole, you still will have learned something else along the way.
on April 2, 2013
This book is life changing. After years of yo yo dieting....Dr. May's efforts to teach those of us who have never mastered instinctive eating to mindful eating has given me a new lease on life. I have lost 20 lbs and am no longer swinging between restrictive eating and overeating. The pre diabetes component has helped me get my blood sugar under control. Not sure of the terms I used? Buy this book!!!! You will be glad you did!!! Best wishes!
on June 17, 2013
This book is an excellent approach to understanding how to best manage yourself as a diabetic or pre-diabetic. Chapter 7 really talks about how to put food on your plate and make it balanced. I highly recommend it.
on April 5, 2013
This book really breaks down the reasons for eating and what role it plays in you life-being a diabetic or not! GREAT for anyone needing to re-evalute their relationship with food!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a therapist, eating coach and author in the field of eating and weight management, I'm glad to have found EAT WHAT YOU LOVE, LOVE WHAT YOU EAT WITH DIABETES. This book skillfully includes medical and nutritional information regarding diabetes, wisdom on self-care, guidance on fitness, and techniques on mindful eating. I appreciate that the authors foster curiosity rather than judgment and encourage readers to experiment to discover what works well for them. Those of you who have tried to diet to be healthy with diabetes will surely find this non-diet book invaluable. Karen R. Koenig, M.Ed., LCSW
The Rules of "Normal" Eating: A Commonsense Approach for Dieters, Overeaters, Undereaters, Emotional Eaters, and Everyone in Between!,The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health,Nice Girls Finish Fat: Put Yourself First and Change Your Eating Forever,What Every Therapist Needs to Know about Treating Eating and Weight Issues.
on May 13, 2013
This is another book in the Dr Michelle May collection. I own them all. Mindful, healthy eating is really what we all need to do. I'm glad she continues to write.