5.0 out of 5 stars A diet you can actually function on
Published on June 29, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars You can't find the products !!!
Published on August 12, 2001 by maqx4

5.0 out of 5 stars A diet you can actually function on, June 29, 2000
By A Customer
I am a heavier than average long distance runner. Although I run between 50 and 60 miles a week on average, I still have struggled to keep my weight where it should be. I have tried the high protein diets but found they didn't leave me enough energy to actually train, let alone race. This diet encourages you to eat the carbohydrates you need to lead an active lifestyle. His explanation of glycogen stores is one of the best and easiest to understand that I have read (distance runners are obsessed with glycogen stores). If you are physically active and looking for a diet that works with your lifestyle, this one is a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat to win for Permanent Weight loss, June 1, 2001
This review is from: Eat to Win for Permanent Fat Loss: The Revolutionary Fat-Burning Diet for Peak Mental and Physical Performance and Optimum Health (Paperback)
I cannot begin to tell you how much this book has helped me. I have been on a ton of "diets", this one works it really does. The food is really good, and I didn't feel hungry or deprived. I have lost almost 40 lbs. since January 6, and I feel so much better. The unlimited salad and veggies is also a help. If you feel sluggish overweight and tired of being that way, please get this book and try it for the 28 days. It is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing the way to think about eating., November 24, 2003
Dieting is a huge business where everyone touting something has "the answer." So does anyone have it? Yes and no. Some diets work for some people, for a while, and some don't. Often it's not easy to follow through with any diet plan, so we keep searching. Or we just give up and accept our unhealthy situation.
If you want to change your thinking and focus on how you perform rather that how you look, Haas has a great plan to follow. This book, along with his previous book (Eat To Win)(although less up to date), offers an invaluable guide on why our minds and bodies behave the way they do given our exercise habits and the food we eat. Haas focuses on objective research in the field of peak performance and has a strong track record of working with champion athletes. With his research, it's easy to debunk most other "trendy" diets. The beauty of "eating to perform" is that you'll automatically get all the other health benefits of moderate exercise and intelligent eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, and it's so easy to follow, May 15, 2000
By A Customer
The "Ultimate Ratio" of protein, carbohydrates and fat advocated in this book makes weight and fat loss almost effortless. Planning the right ratio of what to eat is as easy as selecting an item from each food group (listed in a handy chart) for each meal (and snacks). This plan even allows for cheating and eating at fast food restaurants! There are recipes in the back of the book for quick nutritious meals that are tasty and don't leave me feeling hungry or deprived. Not only is this an easy fat/weight loss plan, I am also eating my way to good health and high energy. I can really see results with this plan and I don't feel like I am on a diet!

2.0 out of 5 stars You can't find the products !!!, August 12, 2001
I found the book very interesting and very detailed. But he refuses to be a fan of the glycemic index, but uses a lot of their arguments to verify his own diet. I read the Glucose Revolution at the same time and find very similar statements in both books. But the greatest fault in this book lies in the problem that you can't find the products he uses for his drinks anywhere, at least not with Twinlab, as he mentiones. The products are discontinued for the most part. So I don't know how all the other readers can sing the highest praises when it is so hard to accomplish one of the most important parts of the diet. A interesting book, but hard to follow. The Glucose Revolution is as scientifically proven, but easier to follow in every day life.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me, December 21, 2007
Followed advice closely.
Weight falls off, sports performance through the roof.

It works!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Diet!, May 24, 2000
By A Customer
Finally, a diet that makes sense and helps you manage what you eat without retooling your lifestyle. It didn't make me tired or leave me feeling hungry, and within a week I started to feel lighter! The recipes are great too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but should be read and followed with care, April 14, 2014
John Martin (Las Vegas Nevada) - See all my reviews
Eat to Win for Permanent Fat Loss is Robert Hass’ follow-up book to his best seller, Eat to Win. Haas introduces what he calls the Ultimate Ratio featuring four points, namely (1) follow the Mediterranean and Asian diets which are the healthiest in the world; (2) drink beverages such as coffee, green tea and red wine; (3) Eat what he terms as “functional foods,” which are largely soy products, and (4) drink functional drinks which are specially formulated such as the Twinlab MaxiLIFE Soy Cocktail. The Ultimate Ratio contains 25% protein, 50% carbohydrates and 25% fats. The diet emphasizes plant-based foods and not processed or high fat foods. Haas adds that a low fat diet (10% or fewer calories as fat) is hard to stay on. He also claims that many professional athletes have had success in their sport after adopting his diet. Haas refers to the “Satiety Index) as a measure of how full you feel you are. Good foods in this regard are oatmeal, pasta, apples, oranges, all fruits and brown rice. Haas also refers to a number of nutritional components such as Coenzyme Q10, L-carnitive, L-carnosine, various vitamins and chromium pecolinte and their role in promoting health and fat loss. The book also contains a question and answer section and a number of recipes.

In sum, there is a lot of useful information in this book, but it should be taken with caution, especially when it comes to taking various supplements and products manufactured for energy or athletic purposes. Many of these products are worthless and have side effects. Haas does say to consult your doctor before taking them, but many doctors are simply not up on such products.

I rate the book as 3 stars because there are better diet books on being healthy (such as Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman). Moreover I found Haas to be egotistical in saying that top athletes succeed by following his advice. Finally, the idea of taking supplements and products that are not real food concerns me. As Michael Pollan says in his book, In Defense of Food, “eat food, not too much, and mostly from plants.” I find this advice to be more useful than the idea of sipping a nutrient-laced “cocktail.” Athletes and those engaged in athletic activity may especially benefit from the book, but again it should be read with caution even by such persons.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for people who want to change their game., August 28, 2012
This book is very informative. This book explains the benifits of a high carbohydrate diet plus exercising to lose weight and add muscle. The diet operates on what the author calls The Ultimate Ratio. It is a balanced diet consisting of carbs, proteins and sugars, with a large emphasis on plant products, with soy as the staple food of the diet.

I have tried some of the recipes in the book and I have had good results. I have been able to perform better and I have more energy throughout the day. This diet is also very flexible. If you want to eat meat you can (just not too much), and you can also drink coffee and alcohol on this diet (again, just not too much). It is a very educational book and I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to perform better as an athlete or to someone who wants to lose weight and get in shape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat to Win, March 10, 2012
The book was delivered quickly. The book's condition was as advertised. Dr. Haas always provides recipes to give you ideas of how to start your program.

Rate and Discover Movies