Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eat the Yolks
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon March 1, 2014
When I first sat down with this book, I thought I wouldn't learn anything because of its breezy somewhat snarky style. But I did learn a great many things, despite the fact I have for many years paid a great deal of attention to nutrition. Besides reading all I can over the past 60 years, I have taken courses. (That was because no one would pay any attention to what I had to say unless I could prove I had studied nutrition.)

For one thing from this book, I learned there are people out there who pay attention to complete versus incomplete proteins. It has been 50 years since talking about that went out of style.

There is an explanation of ATP which is easier to understand for a lay person than the complicated explanation in nutrition courses.

I learned that the fat soluble vitamins act synergisticly. That has been known (and ignored) for probably 60 plus years about B vitamins, but I did not know it about oil soluble ones. I should have known.

Somehow I had missed in my reading that there are vitamin D receptors in every cell throughout the body. Well, for heaven's sake! No wonder we keep discovering things we need D for - above and beyond seeing to it our bones get their calcium.

In other words, don't let the breezy conversational style of this book put you off. We can all learn from it.
0Comment|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
I'll admit, I've been on the ancestral/real food train for a number of years now, but a true real foodie is just as hungry for knowledge and understanding, so I pre-ordered Liz's book as soon as I could. THANK YOU, LIZ, for giving us (the paleosphere, the real-food-lovers) exactly what we needed- a book jam-packed with REAL information, an approach that isn't overly branded or easy to put into a "fad" category, a winning sense of humor, and at it's core, a topic meant to change the world.

This is the book I've been waiting for, the perfect way to introduce a curious person to a real food lifestyle. I'd recommend Practical Paleo for any kitchen as a reference guide and recipe inspiration or Cate Shanahan's work for those who just really need to see "MD" after the author's name, but this is the book for the hook. This is the book for the friend who is jumping on a plane for a business trip or the busy mom who has 15 minutes to read while her kid is in dance class. It is concise, but every word counts. The approach is totally relatable, fun to read, and beautifully executed. This is absolutely THE book to get people to understand why I eat so much bacon and get militant about where my meat comes from.

As an educator, I love how this book encourages people to toss the rules and truly understand health and nutrition. I also love how it puts "paleo" in a positive light, but isn't rigid paleo propaganda. This is so necessary while paleo is shifting more to the mainstream- teach and learn, don't just listen and follow.
33 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2014
This is a great educational read. I learned some things I did not know, and for that reason, I did not necessarily dislike this book. Liz is passionate about nutrition and exposing the lies that we've been told by industry and health officials.

However, I am giving this book 3 stars because I cannot say that I loved it. While making a book informative and entertaining is appreciated, the writing style was somewhat distracting. The pop culture references and humor inserted every other paragraph was just a little too much for me. I prefer straight and to the point, which better suits my personal learning style.

I do want to note that different from what I'm used to does not mean bad. I would recommend this is as good read for someone who is new to the lifestyle, and would like to know more about WHY changing your beliefs and eating habits is necessary. The details are eye-opening. I plan to pass my copy along to some friends I think would appreciate the humor.
44 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
If you're busy eating lean meats, living on egg white omelets, and misting "vegetable" oil on your low-fat salads then I'm hear to tell you that your suffering is over my friend.

In her new book, Eat The Yolks, author Liz Wolfe takes on the diet dictators, and explains why they're blatantly WRONG. Take a seat on the Yolk Train, and buckle up tight because Liz is gonna rock your world! You'll not only learn why eating grass-fed pastured red meat is a health food, why you should have a little broccoli with your butter, and why eating egg-white only omelets is a bad idea, Liz takes the time to explain how to do a little digging of your own. You'll learn how to take a closer look at all of those "claims" and "studies" so that you can decide for yourself if bacon is indeed enemy #1, or if, that low-fat "healthy" turkey bacon is actually what is causing you to feel inflamed and in pain.

In the process you'll also learn how we all ended up here in the first place, why government directed programs and subsidies are making us sick, fat and stupid, and why you can leave the guilt at the door while you enjoy every single morsel of that bacon wrapped filet mignon, with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and butter slathered sauteed veggies.

...And you'll be thoroughly entertained while re-programming your brain!

There's nothing like a dry and boring book to help you get to sleep at night, so be forewarned, you won't want to keep this on your nightstand. Full of witty humor and smile inducing examples, Liz will keep you thoroughly entertained while giving dietary dogma a serious beat-down.
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2014
When I say that this is the best book I've ever read, I truly mean it! I wish I could give it 100 gold stars! My mind was blown, it's full of so much incredible information that everyone truly needs to know. Eat The Yolks is about much more than just "eating the yolks," Liz Wolfe busts every nutrition myth we've ever been taught to believe. Liz breaks it all down - from fat, to protein, to carbs, and nutrients - she gives a crystal clear picture of exactly what we should be eating for optimal health, along with how we ended up where we are today. Everyone deserves to know the truth, and to have great health! This book is the answer!
on February 25, 2014
I got my book today and I devoured it in a bit over an hour and if you are familiar with her blog you know just how lighthearted but massively informative her writing can be. Liz is able to give you the information she wants to give without sounding like she is lecturing you or trying to sound like a know it all. I follow her blog and because of her I decided to try my hand at backyard chickens and what a Joy it has been since I got my little feathered babies. READ this book it is going to open your eyes to a lot of new information and change your life!
on February 25, 2014
Eat the Yolks is intelligent, engaging and witty. Whether you are new to healthy living or a seasoned-vet, Liz Wolfe will have you eagerly reading this book from start to finish, as she dispels common health myths and uncovers the surprising truth about food. Eat the Yolks shows us that being truly healthy doesn't result from following conventional wisdom, but from feeling satisfied, fulfilled and nourished.

This book is a great read for anyone that wants to take control of their health and living a fulfilling, satisfying and well nourished life!
on March 14, 2014
First: I'm a huge fan of Liz Wolfe. I love her no-nonsense approach to health and diet. I am a regular listener to her podcast, and I have paid to see her and Diane at their seminars. I even get her newsletters...and I read them! (It's one of the few I get that I read).

So while I did enjoy parts of this book, I was a (tiny) bit let down.

What's awesome about it: It's exactly what she talks about on the podcast and on her site. She's clear in her opinion and consistent in her message. Her passion and commitment to getting her message comes out 100%. She's clear in her points, and honest in her views. it's also not very long (as opposed to some Paleo/whole foods books which can be a bit long), so you don't feel overwhelmed at the thought of reading it.

What doesn't work: the agenda that Liz has is fantastic: she's a passionate supporter of Paleo and whole foods. But...there's a way to do agenda. Weave it in, tuck in the ends, and let your audience understand it for themselves. Instead, she's a bit overzealous in her accusations. Rather than letting her reader come to their own conclusions, she does it for you. And that never sits quite right with me. And while I enjoy her humor -- the part about the Edgar suit (Eggar suit, in my vernacular) is hilarious -- at times it's a bit distracting and overdone.

Who it's great for: if you have a family member that just doesn't get why you follow Paleo or why whole foods matter, this is a great book for them. And for the beginner, this may be a great guide. If you love Liz and want to support her, you will probably buy this book -- as I did. If you're already firmly planted into an ancestral lifestyle and you've read the books/listened to the podcasts/read the blogs of other Paleo supporters, this may be simply more of the same for you. But you can say that with any book that comes out in this Paleo-sphere -- so you decide.

Still a huge fan of Liz, and will continue to tune in to her farmsteading antics and wisdom.
on February 27, 2014
If you're like me, you wait eagerly and impatiently for every week's Balanced Bites podcast just to get in a little chat with Liz and Diane and what feels like catching up with old friends (since that's precisely what they seem to do). Since my very first listen, I felt like Liz was my spirit animal with her random musings and quotings - but also her positive, yet not preachy, outlook on paleo, life,... goats, etc. I am a scientist, so while I appreciate and tend to just listen to those who know more than me on principle, I've always wanted to understand more myself. To be able to have a clear and concise explanation to questions from friends and family (...including a father who is a GI doc). And while this book provides that, it also does something I didn't appreciate I was missing. Not only does it give you the walking-around knowledge to explain the basics (and some of the more finer points) about how your body works and how best to help your body work with real food, but the extra context and historical "how-we-got-here"s can help with some of that inevitable push-back you might get (when the message is so very counter to what mainstream everything tells everyone). If the goal is to get the truth out there, to support people in reclaiming their right to their own health, and to reach people in a way that they will listen to and accept the message, Liz's approach in this book hits the nail on the head.

But even if you're not like me, and this would be your first exposure to the paleoworld, it's at the very basic level a fun read! Because Liz is hilarious and the tone is exactly like she is speaking directly to you. I mean, where else will you find a published work that uses the words jackassery and badassery? Love it, love her - now go buy it.

Also random, but can I say it's my favorite trim size?
on February 25, 2014
If you are looking to understand why REAL FOOD is vital for health, but don't want a boring-medical jargon filled book, this is the book for you! Not only does Liz know her stuff, she presents it in a relaxed and casual manner. It feels like she is just hanging out on your couch causally explaining the hows & whys to you personally over a glass of wine.