16,411 Reviews
 (13,244)
 (1,633)

4,525 of 4,631 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I am IMPRESSED......
Published on January 23, 2009 by Marc D. Ganz

1,315 of 1,390 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate, but hard to turn on
Published on July 27, 2009 by Elizabeth

4,525 of 4,631 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I am IMPRESSED......, January 23, 2009
Marc D. Ganz "ganzma" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Lighted Display, 400 lb. Capacity and "Step-On" Technology [2014 VERSION] - 10,000+ Reviews EatSmart Guaranteed Accurate (Health and Beauty)
I changed my review from a 1 to a 5...here's why I am impressed. First, I had a Tanita scale; it told me my weight, body fat, water weight, bone weight, if my toe nails needed to be cut, etc. However, I could not read the display and as executive/non-athlete I did not need all this information. When that scale died, I went looking for a good solid simple scale. I liked the way this scale looked and the reviews on Amazon were good. Plus, the price was great. I got it right away, and it was great. Looked good, easy to read, and I liked the 0.2 denominations. However, unfortunately it stopped working after two weeks. I went to return it on Amazon and posted a disappointing review. Then the most amazing thing happened...this really happened...about an hour after I posted my review, I was contacted by the company. They read my review and apologized that my unit was not operating the way that it was supposed, discussed their high quality control and that this should not have happened, and then they sent me a replacement right away. THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! They are family run operation that prides themselves on customer service and providing people with a quality product. THEY STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS! There are so few of these good companies left. I was very impressed. I am a very happy customer again and will buy other products from this company!! I hope you will to

UPDATE - It is April 2012 and the replacement scale they sent is still working perfectly. Also, I saw someone comment about how did they contact me; they emailed me through Amazon. They did not have any personal information they were simply able to reply to my comment. Still a very happy customer.

1,315 of 1,390 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate, but hard to turn on, July 27, 2009
Elizabeth (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
The scale is very accurate. I stepped on and off multiple times, and always got the same number. Then I put on a light jacket, stepped on again, and it was up .6 pounds. Perfect! However, it is somewhat tricky turning the scale on. They say you're supposed to "tap" it with your foot to activate it, but nothing happens when I tap. The only thing that seems to work for me is if I slide my foot underneath the scale and lift it up slightly. This seems to turn it on, but it's a somewhat awkward maneuver. So I take off two stars for the difficulty in turning it on.

UPDATE (3/25/2010) since writing my previous review, EatSmart has updated their product and gotten rid of the need to tap on. They sent me a new version, and it really does work much better. It seems just as accurate, though there is a .2 pound difference between the old scale and the new (which really isn't too bad). You step on the scale, and it just works. Much better!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unprecedented Upstanding Business Practice (and products), May 7, 2011
I am changing my product review from one star to five.

A short time ago I posted my disappointment (and single star rating) when my scale no longer worked after less than two months of use. Up to that point it had been wonderful - accurate, easy to use, and pleasant to look at.

Much to my surprise a brief time after my unimpressed review, less than 24 hours, the vice president of the company, William Geronimo, personally emailed me to appologize for the defective device. I was so shocked I forgot to reply to him straight away. Not only did he attempt to call, but I recieved a replacement in the mail today. Maybe a week or so after my initial review.

The excellent business practices alone are enough to make me a repeat customer. Nevermind the fact the bathroom scale I purchased AND the kitchen scale are great products.

I am still shocked, I've never had a company work so hard to make me happy!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but with caveats, October 31, 2011
Will (Menlo Park, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This is an OK scale which would get 5 stars if it wasn't for it being billed as being "high-precision (to 0.2 lb)." It isn't really more precise than probably 0.5 lb at best, and it has a mechanism to cheat and make it look more precise than it really is. The scale remembers the last reading, and if the current reading is close enough (within about 0.5 lb), it snaps to the old reading. The result of this is that if you weigh yourself n times in a row, you'll get the exact same reading, down to the decimals. This impresses people into thinking the scale is very precise (the definition of "precision" is repeatable readings for the same object, whereas "accuracy" means that the readings, on average, are close to the true value). Anyway, if you pull the battery out of the scale in between readings, or if you reset the scale's memory by weighing yourself while holding a 2 lb object in between weighings, you'll see that the readings fluctuate around 0.4 lb or more. This is not a deal breaker for many people, but you may want to just know about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, Modern and Accurate, December 10, 2009
Redwood George (Sonoma County, California) - See all my reviews
Having designed electronic measuring equipment I tend to be a bit more picky about my bathroom scales than the average customer... I value linearity, accuracy and repeatability (even if it doesn't matter that much if my weight fluctuates by a half pound here and there)

This scale sure is a pretty thing and has incredibly easy to read numbers (The 3.5" is a misstatement, the display is 3.5 inches -wide-, not high. The numbers are comparable to other 1.3" high scales) The "tap to wake" is a bit inconsistent; sometimes it takes a subtle tap, sometimes a sharp thumping with a foot isn't enough to start it up. Not a deal breaker but enough to lose a star in my rating.

By my testing the scale is accurate within my typical weight range and very repeatable but watch out for the "fake repeatability" that's typical of scales in this price range: If you step on the scale with a weight that's pretty close to the previous reading it'll give you the same number. Here's a simple test: weight yourself, then weight yourself again holding a half-pound can of food. The scale will show no change in weight. Now step on holding a gallon of water and the scale shows a seven pound weight gain. Step back on holding the can of food and the scale now registers that extra half pound. Put down the can and step on one last time - the scale will again show the weight as if you're still holding the can. I have no idea how long the scale "remembers" the last reading or how big a change it takes to force a new reading but if I want to make sure a small change in weight is accurately measured I make sure to step on extra-heavy or extra-light (put some of your weight on a nearby countertop) and -then- step back on with the weight I want to measure. Again, please note that this behavior is not specific to this scale; most in this price range will show a similar "repeatability" feature.

1.0 out of 5 stars s, December 9, 2009
Length:: 1:41 Mins

After purchasing, company sent "we'll give you a free X if you review our product on amazon" = skewed reviews. It works fine I guess. You have to kick it, wait for it to autocalibrate before using.

edit: After posting this comment the next morning received a message on my answering machine discouraging me for making THIS REVIEW. Apparently the 3 sentences above is a "real negative review". The message said in summary: we're a family owned business, this review is hurting us, your review is unfair, offering something in exchange for reviews is a practice they stopped awhile back and, 'we can make it right if you are upset with the product'. Basically I posted a comment and they used my personal info to give me home phone call scolding me for posting a negative comment. A simple "we want to make things right" message would have been respectable but they stated things in a very personal and intimidating way. I don't want to be worried about getting a phone call every review I make in the case the company doesn't like my views.

In disclosure, I made this purchase June 23 09. I went back to review products I hadn't reviewed that I had for awhile. On June 27 it shipped and on July 6 I received an email.

subject: Amazon.com Review Request - **FREE Book Offer**

EatSmart Customer,
Thanks again for ordering the EatSmart Bathroom Scale through Amazon.com! We hope you are happy with your purchase and making smarter food choices for a healthier lifestyle.

For a limited time, if you place your review on Amazon we will send you a CalorieKing Food and Exercise Journal completely free of charge (see details below).

The Offer: For a limited time receive a FREE CalorieKing 2009 Food & Exercise Journal for submitting your review of the EatSmart Bathroom Scale. This book is the perfect way to hold yourself accountable to a diet or exercise plan!
Step 1: Write your review of the product here. Simply click on "Create your own review" button and follow the instruction. This is your assessment of the overall quality of the product and comments for the Amazon community. Please remember once feedback is submitted it cannot be changed.

Step 2: Email X with your mailing address and we will get the book in the mail to you right away!

Thanks for your patronage!

I believe this to be a deceptive practice because: after only a few days of having the product the consumer is encouraged to make a review, words like "for a limited time" add to the sense of urgency and it offers something in exchange for the review, well targeted to the demographic, intentionally creating a bias. I buy things based on the reviews usually and after purchasing I realize why this product had so many rave reviews. Had it not I would have more carefully shopped around. At the time of receiving their review-for-free-stuff email there were about 450+ reviews. If they did stop this practice it doesn't change my review because I find the practice, and its residual effects deceptive and unfair. I'm sure there's a lot of family owned business and one of them could be competing with eatsmart in the search results without this unfair advantage. In all honesty the scale woks fine, it's definitely a scale, and I wouldn't have written so much about a relatively normal priced normal scale if they wouldn't have personally called me. I take strong offense knowing that my reviews are NOT anonymous and the manufacturer has all my contact information, and can specifically associate it to the negative reviews, despite having purchased this long ago. That is amazon's fault to be fair however it is a wakeup call. To have my personal information used to strongly encourage me to remove my comment is more than a little upsetting. If the answering machine message was just something like, "If you are unhappy with our product please let us know and we'll try to make things right" it would have been more respectable. However they added to that, in effect, "your comment is hurting us, especially in christmas time, we're family owned" leaves a disgusting feeling. You can't guilt trip customers for their reviews. This encourages users that purchased directly from amazon to be intimidated next time they want to review honestly. This left me very uncomfortable and upset. If by 'hurting' this company I let consumers know that the quantity of reviews and high ratings for this product are misleading and may not indicate this is the best scale on amazon, then I am accomplishing something positive, consumer protection, which is what reviewing is all about.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, low-quality garbage, February 27, 2012
BT (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
When this scale arrived, it registered weights between 14 and 25 pounds too light. We tried to calibrate it repeatedly, replaced the batteries, and tried it on different floor surfaces, but it simply didn't work accurately.

I called the manufacturer, who was very pleasant and explained that it was extremely rare for one of these scales to be defective. I found this odd, because so many reviews on Amazon speak of the same problem, always a great rarity. The company offered to inspect a scale, make sure it was working correctly, and send it out as a replacement right away. I received a replacement scale a few days later.

This replacement scale worked well ... for nearly two weeks. It then began to register weights that were at first impossibly high. (I was able to eat under my calorie goal, and yet, according to the scale, was gaining more than a pound each day.) After three days of this, the scale reported a weight loss of first 4 pounds, then 5, then 8, then 14, all within minutes of each other! Each time I weighed myself, the scale again showed a lighter weight.

It's impossible to monitor a weight-loss plan with a scale that's so unreliable. This scale introduces frustration and aggravation that is unnecessary. It's a piece of junk.

Yes, the company does get high marks for its level of customer service in many reviews. The best customer service is useless, however, when the product is cheap, Chinese garbage that is unreliable.

A second call to the manufacturer revealed that the owner takes these problems a little personally. While he said he's not doubting my experience, he first suggested that the problem with the scale is my floor, then suggested it was too near an electrical outlet, then lectured me on how important quality is to him. I was told to try the scale on a cement floor, that it was absolutely impossible for an EatSmart scale to consistently register a low weight, and such a problem was completely unprecedented.

That may be true, nevertheless I've posted a photograph of my two EatSmart scales on a cement floor (registering 225.8 pounds and 214.4 pounds) alongside my old scale showing a relatively accurate weight of 237.4. Not only are the EatSmart scales wrong, they can't even agree between them.

In the end, I was told by the owner that he'd cut me a check for the scale, and would send me a return label. I'm now shopping for an accurate scale, and am willing to pay more for one that is reliable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Those few negative reviews are right., July 5, 2010
Jessica (Burleigh, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
I really wish I would have believed what was written in the negative reviews. This scale does seem to have some type of memory with it. I would have to step on the scale with something heavy then step on again by myself to get a new reading. Occasionally it would differ by 2 lbs. I'm trying to lose weight using the Lose It app and I thought this scale would be good because it's supposed to measure in intervals of .2 (which is about what I should have been losing a day). Unfortunately I tried this scale for 3 weeks and it didn't get any better. I'm now going to go old school and try a scale with a dial.

1,093 of 1,320 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Can't use it if it won't turn on. Doesn't do its job., November 10, 2009
The instructions that come with this scale are: 1)tap here, 2)wait until you
see zero, 3) stand on scale.

The trouble comes at step 1. You can "tap here" all day long and the scale will
not turn itself on. The way to actually turn it on is to pick it up, reach
underneath, and wiggle one or more of its feet. It's hard to imagine a more
fundamental failure of design. Even the crappiest scales on the market can be
used without bending over and picking them up.

I thought I couldn't possibly go wrong after I saw so many glowing reviews.
Turns out I should have read the 1-star and 2-star reviews better. Other
people have had this exact problem. The minority was SO RIGHT.

I've only had this scale for an hour, but I'm sending it back TODAY.

----------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

It is now several weeks later. I received several emails and even
a phone call from the company's customer service rep. He wanted to explain
a technique for tapping on the scale, and offered to send a replacement unit
if that still didn't work. That's really excellent service, right? How many
companies would even care?

Ultimately, though, trying to correct a product this bad with service that
good is just putting makeup on a pig. Look at the guy who left a video
review. He practically slams the thing with his heel. Is that a good idea
on a piece of GLASS? Should the product be so hard to turn on that you have
to have a video to explain how to do it?

It didn't take many exchanges until it became apparent what this
customer service rep's real agenda was. He asked me straight out,
repeatedly, to change my review because "we're a small company, and
negative reviews can hurt us."

I have also looked more carefully since then at why there are so many
positive reviews, and I am suspicous. When I first posted this review,
it was marked "not helpful" by one person within hours. Who would have
done that? I started looking at the other reviews.

It looks like a very few people are VERY interested in leaving positive
reviews about this product and the same people like to leave comments
on the negative reviews that suggest calling the company. One commenter
criticizes a reviewer with the comment: "how about calling the company
instead of being negative?" The person who wrote that has only ever
reviewed three products on amazon -- all three are scales sold by EatSmart.

Who cares so much about a bathroom scale that they would hover over
the reviews day after day? Who would be so concerned about whether
customers call the company or not?

This company is clearly manipulating their rating by directly asking
for better reviews, and it's possible they are doing more than that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Initial failure, mixed feelings after failure was fixed, September 2, 2009
Timothy H. Mansfield (Long Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Original review, posted Sep.2, '09 [1 star]:

This scale had problems from the beginning -- according to the sticker, you are supposed to be able to "wake it up" just by tapping it, but I could only get it to turn on and calibrate once out of every twenty taps or so, which was pretty frustrating.

Now, after 2 weeks of mild use, it has stopped working -- it is permanently stuck in calibrating mode, until the batteries wear out.

Very disappointed with this purchase.

================

Update:
The company contacted me based on the original review, and offered to replace the item in exchange for deleting my review. I said I would be willing to amend, but not delete the review outright. They said that that wouldn't be good enough -- they insisted that I change the number of stars, not just change the text. (That's what I intended to do anyway, but they spelled out their condition)

Now, I have a problem with that to begin with. In my mind, if you sell a lemon, before worrying about exactly what the customer's going to do with their review, as a conscientious business owner, first of all you fix that problem, no questions asked. Sending me a replacement should _not_ be contingent on what I do with my review.

Common sense suggests that if you take good care of your customers, they're going to do right by you. Obviously if I get sent a working replacement, I'm going to reflect that good experience in my online writing. That's why I take the time to write reviews in the first place -- to share my experiences, and this would be a significant turn of events, worth reporting.

As it is, it gives me a slightly used feeling as I bump up the stars on this, like I struck a backroom deal.

I like to support small business owners and good customer service, so in that sense it's great that this company monitors what customers say about them and moves to rectify problem. However the quid-pro-quo aspect is a little troubling.

Also the company mentioned that they have "only" a 1% defect rate. 1% seems pretty high to me, actually. So that also casts a bit of a shadow on their otherwise admirable vigilance in monitoring the Internet for negative reviews -- if their product fails for 1 out of 100 customers, it makes sense that they need to actively do damage control.

Anyway, I did receive the replacement, as promised, and this one has worked for the first week at least, so that's a plus.