Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games

Color: Black ChromeChange

4,173 of 4,251 people found the following review helpful
on May 19, 2009
** This review has been edited ** I now give the product 5 stars (stupidly, Amazon doesn't allow changing the rating when editing).

Originally I wrote a bad review indicating the unit eats batteries. We didn't use it frequently and every time we did, the batteries were dead.

About a day after I submitted the review, Bill from EatSmart Products emailed me indicating he had seen the review and short battery life is not typical of the product (he stated they should last ~1 year). With no prompting from me, he sent out a new scale along with some batteries to replace the ones the original scale consumed. Although it hasn't been very long, so far the batteries in the new unit are holding up well.

So as I stated above, I now give this scale a 5-star rating due not only to its good performance, but the great customer service from the manufacturer!
126126 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
2,734 of 2,808 people found the following review helpful
on January 6, 2009
I would prefer to write this review after some time has passed, but I want to make sure I get my thoughts out here early on.

This is my third kitchen scale. I bake all my own bread at home and good baking requires weighing the ingredients rather than volume measuring.

This scale feels very light which made me nervous at first, but I've used it for three weeks now, through a lot of baking over the holidays, and my concerns seem out of line.

This scale fits all my needs. Here is what I look for:

1. CAPACITY - AT LEAST 10 LB (this has 11 lb, or 5 kg). This is required to be able to tare out a glass bowl which can weigh near 5 lbs empty. 11 lb is still borderline when I'm making bread in a 6 qt kitchenaid bowl, but I just weigh ingredients separately in another bowl if it becomes a problem.

2. PRECISION - DOWN TO 1 GRAM - Another scale I have was only good to 5 grams and, although this was probably good enough, it drove me nuts not to be able to go down to 1 gram

3. STABLE PLATFORM FOR VESSELS -- My previous scale had a platform that sat on top of a pillar and eventually came detached. After that it was a balancing act to weight anything

4. ORDINARY BATTERIES -- I liked my old scales fine, but it drove me crazy that I had to keep buying overpriced CR2032 batteries for the things. These batteries don't last long and cost too much to replace. I can't figure out why they use these "button batteries" rather than the more common higher capacity AAA, AA, C, D, etc cells. It's not like these scales are micro-sized. In any event A BIG BIG PLUS for this scale is that it uses standard batteries! Don't sell this point short.

5. PRICE -- $50, $30, $70 for a scale to do this is crazy. the circuitry in these things is cheap. It's not rocket science. All these scales that have "features" are a waste of money. This scale does what needs to be done for $20.

6. FEATURES -- Zero the scale, read negative numbers, switch between metric and English weights, tare a bowl....that's it...that's all you need. All the rest of it is a waste of money and a further chance for failure. this does what is needed and no more.

7. EASY TO READ -- big numbers. this scale is good....Not so good about this scale (and the ONLY problem I have so far) is that big bowls tend to cover the read out a little and make it hard to pick up the weight. So far it hasn't been a big deal, but it can be a slight annoyance.

This scale gets 100% on items 1-6 and about 50% on item 7 for a 93% grade overall...enough for me to give it 5 out of 5 stars.

The only remaining unrated item is DURABILITY....I'll report back in a year. My old, $50 scale only lasted 3.5 years. I'm betting this one goes at least that I won't be forking over for new button batteries every month and a half.
6565 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2009
Item Reviewed: EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity.

EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, White

I am no scale expert, but EatSmart has offered me a free book if I write a review of their scale, and this has prompted my review. I have only been using the scale for two weeks, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. My only nitpicks at this point are that the "white" color has a pinkish tone and that the buttons aren't perfectly even. Aside from these minor cosmetic issues, the scale is exactly what I expected: a functional, easy-to-use, accurate, inexpensive ($25), small, lightweight, plastic scale.

When making my scale purchase, I also considered buying the Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale, Chrome. The only advantage that the Escali Scale has over the EatSmart Precision Pro Scale is that the Escali Scale has buttons that prevent food from getting into the cracks. In contrast, when using the EatSmart Scale, you have to be careful not to drop food in between the two buttons. For this reason, I put my scale in a plastic Ziploc bag (gallon size) to protect it from drippings and droppings - this keeps it clean, and it still works great! In all other respects (except for the few noted below), the two scales seem to be very similar according to the product descriptions.

In the end I decided to purchase the EatSmart Scale over the Escali Scale because I preferred the EatSmart unit options. The EatSmart Scale allows you to switch back and fourth between four different unit modes: 0000 grams, 000.00 ounces, 00.000 pounds, and 00.000 kilograms (resolution: .05 ounces/1 gram). This requires pushing the right button once for each mode (for example, start on grams, then push once to get to ounces, then again to get to pounds, then a third time for kilograms). The EatSmart scale will remember the last unit-mode you chose, so you don't have to readjust every time. If you always use pounds, just leave it on pounds. When you return the next day and turn on your scale, it will still be on pounds.

In contrast, The Escali Scale only offers three unit options: 0000 grams, 000.00 ounces, and [00 lbs + 00.0 ounces]. I prefer the EatSmart Scale because it provides pounds with decimals (00.000 lbs) - for me this is easier to deal with than [00 lbs + 00.0 ounces]. I frequently measure out meats, which are labeled in pounds with decimals (00.000 lbs) at most grocery stores. If I buy a pound of hamburger and want to divide it into three 1/3-pound portions (0.33 lbs), the EatSmart Scale makes it easy. I just measure out the 0.33 lb portions right there on the scale. With the Escali Scale, I would have to do some conversions to measure out my portions, because the Escali Scale will not measure out pounds in decimals. In some cases these conversions can be difficult without a calculator. The conversion required in this example would be:

(0.33 lbs/portion) * (16 ounces/lb) = 5.333 ounces/portion ---> Possible to do without a calculator, but not ideal.

Another EatSmart feature that I have found convenient is that you do not have to use the tare button. Simply place your empty bowl or plate on the scale BEFORE turning it on, then push the left button once to turn it on. It turns on very quickly and is zeroed-out upon starting up. Then you can add your ingredients to the plate without having to wait for the scale to tare! If you would rather use the tare button, that is easy as well. Simply push the left button to turn on the scale, then place your empty plate on the scale, push the left button a second time to "tare" the scale, wait for the scale to zero out, and then add your food items that you want to measure.

With its three-minute automatic shut-off feature, the scale gives you plenty of time to make your measurement before turning off. I haven't had it shut off on me yet in the middle of a measurement. It also allows you to shut it off manually by pushing the button on the left twice (you have to wait for it to zero out to 00.000 before pushing it the second time - if it is at 00.003 when you go to push it the second time, it will just tare again to 00.000). The scale also seems to give its readings rather quickly - so no problems there.

IN SUMMARY: The EatSmart Scale has three battery-conscious features: generous three-minute automatic shut-off, option to turn off manually, and ability to tare without actually spending time taring! It also uses standard AAA batteries which are easily replaceable. It offers four convenient unit modes: 0000 grams, 000.00 ounces, 00.000 pounds, and 00.000 kilograms. Overall a simple and functional scale without any bugs. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase - I would buy it again!
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2014
I had read most of the reviews and chose this scale based on those reviews. I unpacked the scale and read the instructions to insert the batteries but there were no batteries. I then checked the unit and saw it had two batteries in place but they were mismatched brands. I thought that was strange and then I turned it on and received ERR on the screen. The instructions said to leave it on and let it shut off by itself and then turn it on again. I followed this and again received ERR. I am very disappointed that I received a unit that had obviously been used by someone and it did not work for them either. I will NOT be buying this scale again and I will continue my search. I do not mind opening a NEW product and it does not work but having a company knowingly send an item they knew was used and passing it off as being new is bad business and I will not be buying anything from this company in the future.

***Update*** May 21st

I received a phone call from the president of EatSmart (Bill). He requested the details of my problem and requested me to not return the product to make certain it stays out of inventory. He also said he will be sending me a new unit right away. I cannot say enough how impressed I am with the customer support for this company. I initially said that I would not buy anything from this company in the future but with fabulous customer care like this I would be foolish to not buy from them again. I will make another update to this once I receive the new scale.

***Update*** May 25th

I received my new scale on May 23rd. It was brand new with the batteries matching and in a plastic wrapper. I opened them up and placed them in the scale and turned it on and it is working. I have used each day since I received it and the unit is working properly and and the measurements are accurate. I wish I could change the star rating to higher but Amazon doesn't seem to let me change it after it was rated. If I were to rate this product again I would give it four stars. It does what it should but seems cheaply made. I would rate the support team a 10 as they truly do want to keep their customers happy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2013
Very pleased with this scale. It's become a staple of my home. We measure a lot of small doses of supplements or spices and this has become something we rely very heavily on as a result. It's very precise and it works well with our baggies (Stand up Zip lock Pouches (Multiple Sizes & Colors) (100ct, 9x12" Silver (metallized)) and reads the measurements precisely. If there are things in the kitchen we can't live without, it's those bags and this scale. Everything else is secondary nowadays.

I haven't had any negative interactions or experiences with this scale. It's precise, the tear function is accurate, and everything goes very smoothly when I use it.
on July 29, 2009
If you're looking for an easy to use multifunction home scale that's perfect for cooks and dieters look no further. The EatSmart Precision pro allows you to weigh up to 11lbs of food (or whatever you want really) and can display in ounces/lbs/grams/kgs; Graduation .05 oz / 1 gram. We really like the tare feature - which allows you to use a bowl or plate and get the perfect amount for your snack instead of eating too much. The scale also features a 3 Minute Auto-Shutoff.
on January 11, 2010
I bought this product October 27, 2009 and unfortunately it stopped working this weekend. I called the company to see what I could do and they said that they will send me out a new one at no charge. One of the owners answered the phone. I thought that the company and the owner did great customer service. I will definetely shop with Eat Smart again!!
on September 29, 2009
Well, I've been using my scale for some three weeks now and have a mixed opinion of it. Before I list the pros and cons, let me give you some history. I started with a gram accurate food scale from [...]. I used that scale for about a year or so and the on/off button practically stopped functioning. After getting to the point of having to use a screwdriver to turn the thing on I had had enough and bought this scale based on the wonderful reviews it had received. Now, let's get to the pros and cons as I view them. I will start with the cons and the reason I gave the product only three stars:

1) The scale has a hard time making up its mind. I use the scale in gram mode and the issue I have is as follows. I put an item on the scale, say weighing 29 g. The scale displays 29 g. But, quite often, several seconds later the display changes up or down by one gram. Now the scale reads, say 30 g. OK, fine, it took some five seconds for it to calibrate, but then, several seconds later it's back to 29 g. So, which is it, does the item way 29 grams or 30 grams? At first, I thought that maybe the item is midway between the two, say 29.5 grams. But, having an item weigh mid way should only happen one in ten times, statistically speaking, and this keeps happening constantly. The problem is further exacerbated when I tare the scale. I get a zero reading only for it to switch, several seconds later, to -1 gram or 1 gram. Since the tare button is also used to turn the scale off, I often have to press it multiple times (as in three or more) to turn off the scale, since the press that should have turned it off just tares it back to zero from the -1 or 1 "misreading" that it displays spontaneously right before I turn it off.

2) The tray is a pain. My previous scale came with a ten-inch diameter convex glass tray that set on top of the five inch metal (plastic?) tray that was physically attached to the scale. It was a joy to use. Now, having only a five inch tray built into the scale itself seems very limiting. At first I started using dishes, now I've finally decided to just use the glass tray from the old scale on top of the metallic tray of this scale, to have more area for food. I often weigh food on paper towels and having a five-inch diameter tray to work with is very limiting. The problem I face now is that the ten-inch glass tray from my old scale obscures the display. Of course, this scale was clearly not designed to use the glass tray from a different scale, so it is not at fault here, but I just find the annoyance of having to read the display through that glass tray less of an annoyance than being limited to the five-inch tray that is part of this scale.

3) The scale buttons and display get very dirty very fast. I find I have to constantly clean them. Now granted, the buttons are metallic and dirt is more visible, but it's the same dang LCD display as my old scale, so why does it attract dirt so much more?

4) The scale buttons feel very flimsy. Now, I have read the reviews where people talk about using the scale for over a year without them breaking, but they just do not feel very comfortable and reliable when I press them. My old scale had a membrane keyboard, which sadly gave out after about a year, but when I pressed a button, it did not feel flimsy or wobbly.

Now, here are the pros:

1) This scale has enough capacity to weigh pretty much anything short of a watermelon. My previous scale maxed out at five pounds. This one easy hits five kilos (i.e. approx. 11 pounds) before it errors out.

2) I have the black and chrome scale, which matches my appliances well. I love the fact that the cosmetics of this scale are so customizable.

3) Gram level accuracy, once you use it, it's hard to give up.

Thank you for reading my review and please feel free to comment.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2009
I use it constantly, at least 5x a day. It is extremely useful in helping keep track of what I am eating and in portion control. After a couple of months, the scale stopped working. When I published a negative review, the company contacted me immediately and sent me a brand new scale free of charge.
on May 8, 2014
Err - That's all I get on my brand-new, out-of-the-box scale that I received today. I tried everything in the FAQs and troubleshooting to no avail. I sincerely regret buying this scale. I don't care how good the customer service will be in replacing or refunding it, I shouldn't have to deal with it in the first place. Looking back at other reviews, this seems to happen a lot and the company ends up sending a tested functional scale. Regardless of the outcome for me, this 1-Star review will stand as I wished so many others had. If other people hadn't changed their scores I wouldn't have wasted my time.

****UPDATE 5/13/14****

After going through EatSmart customer service on 5/8, I received an e-mail on 5/9 stating that a replacement would be sent to me "a.s.a.p." On 5/13 I received an unsolicited phone call at my home from the vice president of the company asking me to change my previous review. He wanted to argue about my review and have a strange, rude conversation about the merits of business (I declined). He then informed me that I would receive a replacement IF AND ONLY IF I changed my review first. I again declined and informed him that I would be seeking a refund through Amazon instead.

I have purchased other EatSmart products in the past, but after this very bizarre and disappointing experience I will never buy another again. I received a failed product that was followed-up by the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I have also informed Amazon about EatSmart's attempt to bully me in order to get a better review.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...