5.0 out of 5 stars Superb reference, highly recommended
Published on March 2, 2004 by Richard A Strauss III

1.0 out of 5 stars This just basic nutritional information
Two things disappointed me about this book.

Published 18 months ago by mownhoj

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb reference, highly recommended, March 2, 2004
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
I'm an Ironman coach and am constantly searching for resources and references to teach my athletes about racing and training. Sports nutrition is a huge component of their success. This book is on my must read list for every athlete I coach. Ellen presents the reader with commonsense advice. Most importantly, her advice can be followed without the need to make drastic, and often unrealistic, lifestyle choices.
Understandable, practical, realistic, and it works. I highly recommend Ellen's book as a reference in your training library.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best nutrition references available, March 3, 2004
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
Thru Ellen's insight, guidance and words, ordinary people have another tool to accomplish extraordinary things. To complete long distance events, nutrition can make or break you. I have run ultramarathons, competed in Ironman triathlons, and ventured into other fun things like the Mojave 250 mile Death Race. I trust Ellen's words and guidance in fueling my body to go the distance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, March 4, 2004
Dale (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
Ellen's book is the most concise, clear, and thorough explanation for nutrition for endurance athletes that I have found to date. Her writing style is easy to read and comprehend, her information is well supported, and her nutritional approach is realistic for work-a-day athletes. As a back-of-the-pack to midpack triathlete, I was able to come away from reading this book with a better understanding of how nutrition impacts performance and come away better armed for the upcoming triathlon season.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, highly recommended, February 20, 2004
Jon Pedder (Monterey Park, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
No idea what book the one reviewer was reading, it certainly couldn't have been Eating for Endurance. I compete competitively in triathlon and found this book very educational. Not only to read but also as a reference book.
Clearly presented and thoughtfully written from with athletes point of view, what is fad and what actually works, along with the reference material to back up those claims.
I'd recommend this book for any endurance or ultra endurance athlete.

5.0 out of 5 stars little book with everything you need to know, February 16, 2004
Roman A Milner (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
I love this little book. I use regularly to figure out how many calories I burn in a work out session or how much carbohydrate I should eat today given how long I worked out.
I think that for most age-group athletes (I do triathlons) sports nutrition doesn't need to be that involved. You can get everything you need to know in the three or four hours it will take you to read this book -- explained in an easy to understand way with instructions that are easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very solid contribution to endurance athletics nutrition, March 3, 2004
Dan English (Pittsford, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
This book provides a simple, holistic, easy-to-use set of guidelines regarding appropriate nutrition for endurance athletics. It's a subject that needn't be over-complicated to get right. Nutrition is right up there with religion and politics for evoking fervent reactions, but if you want to skip the fads, fringe plans, and diets-of-the-week, this is an excellent tome to eat by.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOnderful refernce, March 3, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
Couldn't compete at the Ironman Level of triathln without this in my library. if you are going to go long you have to read this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars This just basic nutritional information, January 4, 2013
mownhoj (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
Two things disappointed me about this book.

First, this is ELEMENTARY nutritional information that most people who have even a cursory interest in sports or healthy eating already know very well. Low carb diets aren't good, fad diets aren't good, when riding a bike 200 miles in one day, you'll need to eat...really? No new info there. If you have trained for and participated in an event before, I guarantee you, you will not learn anything new here. As another reader pointed out, this is a review of a high school nutrition class, a food pyramid review. I'm not joking when I say that you could summarize this book by visiting the UDSA website to see how many servings of grain, meat, vegetables, fruit, etc. that they recommend a person eat on daily basis. Again, no new information there at ALL. One reviewer says he's an iron man coach, well, if I knew absolutely nothing about eating for any sport, or to avoid over-doing fatty foods, perhaps this would be useful. But most active people already know that, they know every page of this book.

Secondly, probably half of this book is the author's chest thumping and retelling of her war stories. I'm real happy for her that she once beat a rival in a 200 mile bike race because her opponent didn't have the common sense to keep feeding herself during the race and bonked at the last moment. Awesome. Do I want to spend a chunk of my very limited reading time reading about her moments of battle glory? No. I wanted to learn how to fuel my body for triathlons. And, as I'm sure any full-time employed reader who also trains for triathlons can appreciate, I don't have gobs of leisure time to spare for reading about someone's glory moments. I'm sorry, I don't care about how this author out-foxes her opponents by eating carb-rich snacks while riding a double-century. I was looking to find new information presented to me in a concise manner and this book was an abject waste of my time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some excellent information for endurance, January 16, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
This book contains some good information for being able to endure during long bouts of exercise. There are many chapters that deal with issues such as protein, fats, sugars, caffein, carbohydrate-loading, and other things. It explains how the body has energy stored inside as fat and there's also oxygen that is readily available.
What I didn't like about this book were the opening paragraphs that were stories to each chapter. Some of them were too stereotypical. The other thing I didn't like was the sample menu's for someone to eat every day. They seemed to be too light for most people. There was one that said for breakfast all you eat is some cereal, orange juice, some fruit, and a piece of toast. I had heard before that breakfast was the most important meal of the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars sports nutrition primer - must read, December 10, 2013
This review is from: Eating for Endurance (Paperback)
if you read this book, you will be way ahead of anyone that thinks they know about sports nutrition, very simple yet covers what you need to know.

Eating for Endurance
Eating for Endurance by Ellen Coleman (Paperback - May 1997)
Used & New from: $0.01