Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eating with Fierce Kindness: A Mindful and Compassionate Guide to Losing Weight
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

64%
36%

on June 24, 2011
I have read many, many books on eating and weight loss. My master's degree centered on how to change entrenched behaviors, and I remain fascinated by the challenge. Eating with Fierce Kindness immediately became THE book I would recommend to anyone wanting to lose weight. If the best help with any difficulty is a compassionate friend, this is how Sasha Loring comes across. It is clear that there is work to be done, that it is not easy, and that it is possible. EwFK provides enough information on "mindfulness" that someone unfamiliar with the practice can actually begin using it, yet it does not get lost in the history or theory of the practice. She is particularly clear about the futility of negative self-judgment, restrictive dieting, and the violence these do to the spirit of the dieter. I particularly liked her discussion of the need to befriend the inner critic and the ways of doing so when that harsh, unforgiving voice arises. Although she has academic credentials and experience and supports the suggested practices with study outcomes, the tone is warm and intimate; hers is not the voice of a distant "expert," and there does not seem to be a whiff of judgment anywhere. There are practical and cumulative practice suggestions. The underlying message - that we all deserve to be treated with respect and kindness, that we can insist that we treat ourselves this way, and that there is a way to find them both within our own being. It is the fierce kindness of working with the roots of unbalanced eating that will lead to a more balanced and happier relationship with our own hunger. May all beings be well.
on April 8, 2011
This book has been so helpful. I've been reading it the past few weeks and have been amazed at the effectiveness of the simple tips in there. I have been able to slow down and really see and eat my food and enjoy it more while eating less of it. The goal of the book is not to prescribe a particular diet or help you in a rapid weight loss program. The goal is to be kinder to yourself and be in the moment more as you eat. Doing these things has helped me to lose 4 pounds the last 3 weeks, and I feel like my judgment with what I eat has improved dramatically. Thanks to the author!
on January 2, 2011
This book is a very helpful discussion on minfulness and weight loss. In a nutshell, Sasha Loring teaches us how to become friends with our "inner critic" and notice our habitual patterns. We then become able to "take a step back" and control our eating better. The teachings in this book are also very helpful for other life issues, such as work stress.
on April 3, 2011
Thoughtful, intellegent, new thinking, very helpful -- Eating with Firece Kindness -- a few of us are starting a group who will use the path and suggestions found in Ms. Loring's book. Waiting for her next book with great anticipation
on July 23, 2012
This book is a must read if you are ready to take the weight off of your shoulders and your body. You will learn how to be kind to yourself, even if that is something you never thought you could do. A Life changer for me, A type a, perfectionist, hard-on-yourself cure!
on January 28, 2015
Very kind and gentle. With an intense yoga and 12 step practice this is right up my alley. I feel like it has taken some of the steam out of the compulsion to overeat and has definitely reduces the shame.
on December 21, 2013
For those who are struggling to lose weight or gain healthier living I recommend this book for encouragement. Not so much a "diet" book as a guideline into making the changes that will make you healthier and happier. Recommend this book to everyone in the battle to lose weight or to someone who wants to help a loved one stay on track and become healthier.
on May 2, 2013
Eating with Fearce Kindness ... still working on it! Read a little, eat a little, read a little ... put the book down and think a little...
on June 4, 2014
This is a very useful little book, I wish it would break out the activities from the text so I could go through them more easily after having read the whole book.
on September 6, 2014