Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eating in Italy: A Traveler's Guide to the Hidden Gastronomic Pleasures of Northern Italy
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on February 26, 2000
This is the best and most consistent travel book I have ever found. We are going to France this summer and I can't bear planning the trip without F. Willinger's help. I am in the wine business and my other half is a chef, we are very hard to please when it comes to eating and drinking. In three weeks, we did not find one restaurant recommendation that was not right on the money and superb. There were even fantastic and unusual regional wine suggestions. Not only was the food and wine information terrific, but the descriptions of the owners and the restaurants' atmospheres were perfect. I give this book to all my friends who are planning a trip to Northern Italy. I only wish that F. Willinger would write about other countries and regions. I spent hours enjoying the book before we left. Never has planning a trip been so much fun. Don't go to Northern Italy with it!
on July 26, 1999
When I arrived in Florence in June 1998, I did not even know the name Faith Heller Willinger.I came across the book Eating in Italy by chance while visiting a bookstore. It looked promising enough and I bought it. For the rest of my month in Northern Italy, this book became an essential guide. How else would I have known which gelato is the best in Venice? Which restaruant is really a must when you visit Sirmione in the lake district ? My secret for discovering Italy's best food was in following this book, both its "do's" and its "don'ts". When I failed to follow a "don't", I came to regret it. Having the book with us in the car was essential in making this visit a gastronomic experience. My only regret was that in the concluding part of the trip, in Rome, I didn't have Faith Willinger with me (the book only covers Northern Italy). By now I also own Willinger's cookbook (Red, White and Greens), and folllow her food columns on the Internet. She is for sure a great resource for enjoying the fabolus food of Italy.
on June 30, 2001
I made 3 trips to Italy last year and it looks like I might be repeating my stunt this year. This book has been my faithful companion because I care very much about where I eat and what I drink. It is a great book and I stongly recommend it.
A few gotchas:
1) Lots of other tourists now use this too. In big cities, you'll probably find lots of tourists (typically American) at the restaurants listed. Nothing wrong but FYI.
2) Quite a number of typos. The latest one I found is on pg 46 for the single "inn" listed for Alba. Their fax number should end with 112 and not 122. I pity the guy at 122 who must be so tied of being called.
3) A little out of date. This book was published some time back so it really doesn't talk about some new and very hot restaurants whether in a place like Florence or a place like San Donato in Chianti.
4) Does not cover the South (Amalfi, etc). Warning warning. I will try Fred Plotkin's book on my next trip to the south.
on May 18, 2002
I've made something like ten pleasure trips to Italy in the past decade, and for me, this is easily the best dining resource IN PRINT. In this Internet age, there are additional ways to garner some information about Eating in Italy, but it you aren't too interested in the "new, hot, trendy" etc., this is definitely money well spent.
There are other books I draw upon, including Sandra Gustafson's "Cheap Eats In Italy," Florence Fabricant's "Trattorias of Rome, Florence, and Venice," and the guides from the Time Out series. But kilo for kilo, this is the one I use most frequently, especially if you wander away from Rome-Florence-Venice.
Many of her recommendations also pop up (as citations) in some of the better travelogues--- for instance her writing is cited in books such as "The Collected Traveler-- Central Italy" collected by Barrie Kerper and the recently issued "Piazzas and Pizzas-- the Adventures of the Clean Plate Club in Italy."
Worth every penny, Euro, or late, lamented Lire that you spend.
on May 18, 2002
There are other books I draw upon, including Sandra Gustafson's "Cheap Eats In Italy," Maureen Fant's "Trattorias of Rome, Florence, and Venice," and the guides from the Time Out series. But kilo for kilo, this is the one I use most frequently, especially if you wander away from Rome-Florence-Venice.
Worth every penny, Euro, or late, lamented Lire that you spend.
on December 23, 2014
Very happy with the book. Used it on our trip to Italy. It lead us to some very good restaurants with authentic memorable meals. Thanks to this book I learned that while traveling abroad on a budget do not waste money on souvenirs but don't even bother looking at the cost of a meal. Just order what your heart desires, it will make your vacation sooooooo much more fun and memorable.
on March 26, 1998
If you have shelled out good money for "Gastronomic Guides" or "Restaurant Guides" to Italy, and have been disappointed, one-click this one.A reliable,entertaining and stimulating book about the pleasures of food in Italy. You know you are in good hands when the author says it's "worth a detour" to go to an outdoor stand in Greve for a porchetta sandwich. Willinger never misleads you, and never patronizes you. Buy it!
on January 30, 2006
This was our second trip to Italy using Faith's guide to help us find local markets. We were invited to prepare a celebration dinner at a villa for family/friends in Tuscany. We were able to locate all the special ingredients we needed for the feast which lasted 6 hours and ended with a standing ovation. It was a dream come true. Before and after the week at the villa, we traveled in Italy, also relying on Faith's excellent recommendations. She reports that she is currently writing a book for Southern Italy. You can bet we will plan a return visit when it becomes available. Faith has foodie tours of Florence and offers small cooking classes, as well. Check out her website.
on November 11, 1998
This is a really fun book! It provides more indepth information than the usual guide book. Not only tells you about the local food and wine selection, but also information about the local crafts, events, and specialty items. Recommends local stores for cookware, best markets, linen & houseware shops. Provides Menu specialty selections for each province, tells hours/days of operation for local markets. Provides words and phrases to use when ordering in markets and restaurants. Gives some hotel information and realistic cost ratings on restaurants, cafes, trattorias, etc. Excellent book!
on July 9, 1999
..then this is your book for Italy. It was a lifesaver. Every place recommended and tried was interesting and tasty. We sampled restaurants and enotecas in Milan and Venice. If in Milan, you must check out Gastronomia Peck - it makes Balducci's look like a farmer's market!