5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
Published on July 29, 2009 by L. Hannon

3.0 out of 5 stars An O.K. Cook book for beginners
I love to cook, and am a creative cook. I also know a lot about good nutrition for my body. I think this book is great if you really do not cook much using fresh whole foods, or need some ideas and guidance on some balanced eating ideas, but honestly, If you are already comfortable with nutrition and cooking, you can pass on this book if you are getting it for the...
Published 14 months ago by D

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, July 29, 2009
This review is from: Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be (Paperback)
I have to admit that I'm not much of a cook, but this book makes it simple to eat and cook, yes cook at home, during pregnancy. Healthy recipes and practical nutrition advice are the key. I especially love the last chapter called nine months later. Sometimes it's hard to imagine your pregnancy ever ending, but this book takes you beyond delivery into healthy eating with menus and illustrated exercises. It's just good solid nutrition advice for the whole family. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful and Helpful Guide/Cookbook!, May 6, 2010
CozyReadersCorner (acozyreaderscorner dot com) - See all my reviews
Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition guide and cookbook is a wonderful tool for all women, especially pregnant women. Whether you know a lot or know nothing about healthy eating for mommy and baby, this book has something for everyone. The cookbook is not only full of delicious recipes (who says you have to be pregnant to make them?!), but also very helpful information on foods the baby needs and that your body needs to help sustain the pregnancy and keep you healthy. Along with these delicious recipes that are easy to make and are what I would consider "normal". The recipes are not flamboyant, but everyday pantry items or easy to find in you local grocery store. There is also a ton of helpful information to help answer any pregnancy questions in regards to your diet and what you should or shouldn't be eating. Some of these questions include; "What should I be eating? What is dangerous and why? If I eat this how is it benefiting the baby and I?" There is also a section for your last 9 months after baby is born. The exercises and eating tips are designed to help you loose the baby weight and regain your body!

This book is truly for those considering having a baby to those who have had their baby and everyone in between! Among the many helpful tidbits of information you will find helpful list that give sources of fiber, vitamin C, and other important nutrients. There is information on how much fish, water, vitamins, and other items that you should or shouldn't be consuming. The recipes are in convenient categorized sections and come complete in a seven day menu planner. The author gives a list of pantry items needed for each categorized chapter of recipes along with time saving tips, storage tips, conversion charts and a variety of other very helpful pieces of information. The recipes range from breakfast to dinner with snack and vegetarian dishes. Eating for Pregnancy will quickly become a part of your family even after your baby is born. The recipes are for families too!

If your pregnant, planning to get pregnant, recently had your baby, are a health care professional or simply like to collect cookbooks or are interested in good nutrition, Eating for Pregnancy is for you! It would also make a wonderful gift for any expectant mother to be! It is well worth the time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why wait for Pregnancy...get healthy now!, January 17, 2010
Catherine Jones and Rose Ann Hudson are a winning combination.

"Eating For Pregnancy" is the "how to" with easy, NUTRITIOUS, and delicious ideas and recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. As a practitioner of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine, I specialize in female fertility and Women's health. Nutrition is emphasized with all of my patients and I treat many, many women in the course of their pregnancy. The importance of eating whole foods can't be emphasized enough--for mother and baby. This will be a great tool for my patients. Why wait til pregnancy? This book can help you now. "Your first wealth is your health." It is beneficial to all women and can assist in all aspects of reproductive health. Easy exercise routines, high risk and post pregnancy tips are included,too.

Yes, recipes are family friendly and they will enjoy and benefit from these menus.

I love this book becuse it is easy to read, packed with fabulous and easy to use recipes that most women can follow. The nutritional information is presented in an easy to read, easy to understand format, highlighting the key nutritional components of each recipe. Vitamin and mineral sources are listed and condensed in chart form.
This book is very well researched and presented.
It is a labor of love. A great gift for yourself and your health. A great gift for your friends and family members. Even your doctor may need a copy to learn to how to zero in on the better health of his/her patients. This is a great read, and reference.
ISBN 978-0-7382-1352-1 Lifelong Books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any mother-to-be, October 20, 2009
"Eating for Pregnancy, the Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mother's-to-Be", is truly a book that every woman should own. With advice ranging from before conception until after you have had your child, Catherine Jones and Rose Anne Hudson, RD, LD, offer practical, sound advice for today's mothers. "Eating for Pregnancy", is more than just a cookbook it's a complete guide on how to obtain the nutriantes that you and your baby need that offers advice and helpfully hints along the way. With 150 delicious recipes provided for you ranging from Breakfast Pizza Pancakes, Butternut Squash-Carrot Soup, Gazpacho, to Chicken Salad with Dried Apricots and Almonds, Southern Style Potato Casserole, Moroccan Style Stew, and Pumpkin Pie, Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. With each recipe being jammed packed with essential nutrients you know you are getting what you and your baby need.

"Eating for Pregnancy, The Essential Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mother's-to-Be", is the wise choice when selecting a guide for any mother-to-be. A perfect gift that contains advice, helpful hints, recipes, and much more. With the chapters broken down into breakfast, soups and sandwiches, salad and dips, vegetarian and vegan, main course, and desserts. Also provided for the mother-to-be, are lists of helpful items to have on hand. "Eating for Pregnancy, The Essential Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mother's-to-Be", is filled with so much sound practical advice and information that this book should be a must have any woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars the non-pregnant user, July 20, 2009
I bought this book when a friend showed me a must-have recipe. I am not pregnant but these healthy options are wonderful for the whole family. I rarely hear complaints (and that's hard coming from three picky eaters). The nutritional information comes in handy, especially for me as a vegetarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital information and great recipes!, July 8, 2009
Vital Info and Great Recipes
Love this book. It's got everything you need to know about nutrition before, during, and after pregnancy, and it's practical and easy-to-read. The recipes I've tried so far have been great. My family loves them. I am
impressed that the authors decided to include nutrition information from
four experts on postpartum depression, breastfeeding, and weight loss afterbaby...essential advice all new moms could use. It's really the best book yet on nutrition and pregnancy.

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves it., April 22, 2010
I shopped online for this book for my daughter who is a great cook and lives out of town...her first baby, my first grandchild. (Sniff, sniff.)
She has tried several of the recipes and raves about each one. She is working and also having "morning sickness" but is able to enjoy cooking with the help of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really? I Shouldn't Just Eat Pickles, Huh?, October 8, 2009
Catherine Jones and Rose Ann Hudson's book Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be is exactly what it claims to be: essential for anyone expecting. There is valuable information to be gained from this book for any pregnant woman. Contrary to popular belief, being pregnant is not an excuse to live on pickles and spicy ethnic food. It is a chance to take care of our babies long before we can ever hold them. What we eat, our babies eat, and that is the basic idea Jones and Hudson focus on in this book.

This eating guide is more than a book; it is a virtual tomb of important, yet simple to understand guidelines for taking care of our babies by looking more closely at what we put into our mouths. The information is split into three sections: nutritional information you need to know while you're pregnant, healthy recipes, and post-pregnancy nutritional information. The nutritional information is very thorough, but laid out in easy-to-understand language. Topics covered include weight gain, essential minerals and vitamins, high-risk pregnancies, planning a healthy diet, nutrition for breastfeeding mothers, alleviating postpartum depression, and staying in shape after giving birth. There are even exercises with pictures to help you get your pre-baby body back. It has all the information I ever wondered about and more! I was able to find the answers to all the nutrition questions I had.

While the nutritional information is interesting, I'd be lying if I didn't say my favorite part was the recipes! There are 150 nutrient-packed and great tasting recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. The recipes also cover soups and salads, snacks, and meals for vegetarians or vegans. Before I got into this book, I was assuming that while these foods would be good for me, they would taste terribly. I decided that it was a small sacrifice to pay for my baby's health, but I was incredibly surprised by how tasty these recipes were. My favorites are Banana Muffins with Walnuts and Wheat Germ, Super Fruit Smoothies, Grilled Cheese, Pasta Salad with Basil Pesto, Spinach Dip, Cucumber-Tomato Yogurt Salad, Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili, Southern-Style Sweet Potato Casserole, Chicken with Homemade Barbecue Sauce, Homemade Chicken Tenders, Pumpkin Pie, Carrot Cake with Cream-Cheese Frosting, and Walnut Spice Coffee Cake. The list of recipes I liked from this book is much longer than those I didn't really care for. I haven't tried all the recipes, but I plan on using this book throughout my pregnancy and even after! These recipes really are good enough to eat without being pregnant. Just ask my husband!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Informative!, July 30, 2009
Eating for Pregnancy: The Essential Nutrition Guide and Cookbook for Today's Mothers-to-Be This book is easy to read, and full of good information. It reminds me to eat a more healthy and balanced diet. The recipes and menus come complete with caloric and nutritional information. I especially like the vegetarian menu ideas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, mediocre recipes, June 12, 2009
The nutrition information is good; lots of suggestions of foods and meals to make sure everything you eat counts. Downside is that most of of the recipes are pretty bland and very low fat, which won't go far to keep you satisfied (pregnancy can make you pretty hungry!). Some recipes are relatively simple, others can be a bit overinvolved. It is a good starting point and does contain very good information specific to vegetarians.

$17.99 $12.75