Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

I'm a real Stella fan as you can read by my review of his first book. Either one will give you the basics to shed the pounds and keep them off with sensible low-carb life, not counting, but shopping wise and cooking really good food that'll work.

Again, my fascination and usage of George's books are especially for breakfast and lunch and snacks, for these and maybe you are the toughest for this reviewer to keep it creative and healthy. This collection is like his first, just outstanding. You'll enjoy such as: Riviera Omelet (with prochiutto or Parma; Southwestern Breakfast Bites; Cinanamon Toast Pancakes!!!!; Chirstian's Banana Bread Muffins; Uncle Al's Sausage and Peppers Casserole; Kim's Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Lemony White Wine Sauce; Thai Scallop and Prawn Stir-Fry; Roasted Pecan and Herb-Crusted Salmon; Forzen Custard Ice Cream.

Did I mention great Entrees and Desserts as well! Each recipe is not only given the needful nutrition breakouts and good instructions, but each further has "Make It Memorable" and "Healthful Hint" sections. These are really neat, as it has other menu recipe ideas and differences with those on rapid diet descent.

With some nice color photos and all the aids you'll need to keep on low-carb track, this is nice resource for our culinary time.
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2006
*THE* best cookbook I own and I own tons! I have celiac disease. I absolutely must follow a gluten free diet which means I cannot have the gluten found in wheat, rye and barley. I also cannot have anything derived from these grains which, in the "normal" American diet, means I cannot have a lot of things and eating in restaurants is almost a nightmare. With this cookbook, by George, he has it! Every recipe, but one, is gluten free and that one recipe can easily be made gluten free by substituting the wheat bran with any other GF flour as the wheat bran is only used to "flour" the pan. I absolutely cannot sing the praises for this cookbook long enough or high enough. Everyone should own a copy of this book - gluten free, low carb, reduced carb, low calorie or not! Get it!
on January 3, 2006
After staying up until past midnight reading the book from cover to cover, I have got to tell you all that this book is a bargain at 3 times the price!

As the old saying goes, I laughed and I cried. George's sense of humor will keep you rolling, and his heart felt description of how his life has turned around, will make you cry. His love and dedication to his family shines through, even as he teases his family. He even calls Rachel a "weiner" in one recipe!!! (bbq baked soybeans!!! YUMMY!!!) ((jk)) I can honestly say, I've read zillions of cookbooks, and not a one of them has made me laugh and cry! My family thought I was nuts, reading a "cookbook" and laughing. But this is SO much more than a "cookbook"!! It is a testimonial, it is a roadmap to anyone wanting a healthy life, and it is a love story, plain and simple.

I am chomping at the bit to get to the grocery store and start cooking! Breadless Bread Pudding!!!! Six very simple ingredients, and what a comfort food! (I just happen to have all the ingredients at home for that one!)

What I love about the recipes is that there is everything from the simple "why didn't I think of that" type recipes to the elegant "serve it to the president" type recipes. And on each and every recipe, George gives a "Make it Memorable" recommendation of things to serve with it. How can you NOT make a memorable meal with this kind of help?

Each and every recipe has a complete nutritional breakdown, and every recipe has "Healthful Hints" as to how to cut the fat and calories without cutting out the wonderful flavors. How much more versatile can you get?

I can not imagine any type of cuisine that has not been covered in this book. From Jamaican BBQ Ribs to General Tso's Chicken to Italian Marinated Veggies to Ernie's Greco-Roman Rib Eyes. I could go on and on. Whatever your palate craves will be covered, I assure you!

For those of you who have access to wonderful fresh seafood, you are going to be thrilled! (Tennessee isn't known for their seafood! DRATS!) I was absolutely salavating over the Monkfish Kebabs recipe, and the Spaghetti Squash with Clams Provencal Sauce recipe, and all the others!

After reading the book from cover to cover, I am going BACK to Amazon and placing another order for at least 6 books. I am a complete believer in Stella Style, and I know MANY people in my life that would benefit from this healthy lifestyle. I hope that all of you will do the same, and spread the word to everyone you know about the HEALTHY and TASTEY world they could live in!

Please take my advice and make sure this book is on your counter 24/7! I promise you, you won't need another cookbook, ever!
on January 8, 2006
Well, I didn't "Laugh or Cry" like my friend Dinah did and considering her and I are two of the four success stories in the book - you might think we are bias - but George Stella's recipes are great! I particularly like the success stories in any "diet" type book or cookbook - not because I'm one - I swear! but I love reading them - and I wish there were more. I'm not a make my own ketchup type of person - considering I have two children, a house, school and trying to start up a business - but most of the recipes I will make and I'm sure I'll get great reviews. Buy his first book too - it's well worth the investment - even if you don't low carb - his meatloaf recipe is the best ever - it's very hard to make good meatloaf and this one is great. The Stellas are warm, genuine people and yes, maybe George is a low carb genuis :-). I would like to add one more thing - the desserts are great for OCCASIONAL treats like once a month when you are trying to reach goal - (have them more when you are on maintenance) but lots of people trying to lose weight - make the desserts and eat to abandon thinking it's low carb you can eat to your heart's content - you can't. Calories are calories - so a word to the wise - eat the meat, veggies, salads and occasional treat, drink your water and exercise - and you will be at goal in no time. I've lost 126 pounds in less than a year - and this lifestyle works. I feel great and much of the credit goes to Stellastyle.
The affable George Stella is back with another great low-carb book for 2006!

What's not to LOVE about that "low-carb chef from TV" (as he so adequately describes himself in the book) -- George Stella! Now here's a guy who radically changed his life forever just when he was at the brink of losing it due to a series of debilitating health problems.

But through an inner tenacity and never-give-up attitude, this incredible man started living healthier by making a few adjustments in the foods he was consuming to quickly develop what he refers to as his way of eating called Stella Style! And that's the basis for his new book, Eating Stella Style.

Just when you thought the low-carb lifestyle was dead on arrival (as we constantly hear about in the media and from self-proclaimed health "experts"), here comes Stella and his huge following showing the whole world that this simple, yet effective long-term weight loss solution is here to stay in 2006 and beyond!

For fans of Stella's hit Food Network show "Low Carb and Lovin' It," this new book delivers all the same razzle dazzle pizzazz we've come to expect from him. Why shouldn't Stella be thrilled after losing over 260 pounds -- FOREVER! As someone who has lost nearly 200 pounds through livin' la vida low-carb, I know how he feels and can reciprocate those same feelings of overflowing joy and jubilation that come with being free from the conventional rules of weight loss and so-called healthy eating (the low-fat, low-calorie, portion control fallacy has been exposed as the LIE it really is!).

In Eating Stella Style, Stella brings it to you in his infectious conversational style which makes you feel like he is talking directly to you. You learn how he applied the principles of Stella Style to his own family (who cumulatively lost an unbelievable 600 pounds together!) and the results have been nothing short of amazing!

For beginning low-carbers, Stella spells it all out for you step-by-step to give you an overview of what the low-carb lifestyle is all about in layman's terms and shows you how easy it is to follow. He clearly demonstrates to you how low-carb living is ANYTHING but monotonous and presents way for you to spice things up in the kitchen to create luscious, delicious and nutritious meals to satisfy your appetite every single time. The recipes in this book are quick, easy and satisfying for anyone wanting to eat better than they ever have before.

Stella admits that there's no one way to effective losing weight, so he offers several versions of Eating Stella Style to let you cater the one that will work best for you. There's even a convenient shopping list of foods to get when you go to the grocery store (hint, hint: you're gonna "shop the out aisles first").

Reminding everyone to find a solid support system to help them in their new lifestyle change, Stella said sticking with the sugar-free, low-carb life will make your weight loss both "simple and sustaining." As someone who has "been there" himself through the weight loss stalls and struggles, Stella openly shares how to get through these times so you don't get discouraged and give up on your low-carb plan. Having someone who has felt the pain of being obese and understanding what that is like is what makes Stella such a uniquely qualified authority on the subject of weight loss and healthy eating.

I especially liked the formatting of the recipes with two very special features he included in Eating Stella Style to help you customize the recipe to your specific dietary liking. The "Make It Memorable" section at the end of each recipe is where Stella gives you his personal pointers about how and when to use this recipe as part of your new low-carb, healthy lifestyle. Also, the "Healthful Hints" commentary section included with each recipe allows you to make the recipe lower in fat and calories without sacrificing any of the taste.

Reading the comments Stella makes about his recipes, you can tell he's even impressed with some of these scrumptuous meals he came up with for the book. You've gotta wonder if all that free-wheeling personality that exudes so freely from Stella today would have ever come out had he not lost weight. I know MY personality hasn't seemed to change from my perspective, but others have commented how much more confident and assured I come across since I've lost weight. That's what I see in Stella, too!

The plethora of low-carb recipes that you get in Eating Stella Style will keep you so busy cooking outstanding dishes for your family that you'll forget you're even on a diet! And that's just the way George Stella would have it!
on February 3, 2006
George Stella's first book has become our family menu planner. Here is a weight loss guru who really can cook! Everything tastes wonderful. His recipes always come out delicious. He is an unpretentious and sincere person who isn't just trying to sell you something. He has un-masked the secrets of low carb cooking and dramatic weight loss. We have lowered our weight over 30 pounds, lowered our cholesterol, blood pressure and achieved a healthy, calm and abundantly satisfying way of life in our kitchen. Much of the credit goes to George Stella who took the Atkins template and made it brilliantly clear, tasty, inexpensive and life-affirming.

I just wish the Food Network would feature him again. He is a force for health in America. Susan L. Martin, Ph.D. (Maine)
on January 5, 2006
I couldn't agree more with the last reviewer. As the book arrived yesterday afternoon, I did the same thing she did: I read it from cover to cover. Obviously, as yet I haven't made anything...but chocolate pecan truffles, lemon meringue pie, breadless bread pudding (listed in the index under pudding, not bread), fried Ipswich clams, oh my...if the recipes in this book are even half as good as the recipes in his first book...I'm a happy cooker. George Stella is a genius...and a thin one at that. Thanks again George!

An afterthought Jan 2008 - since my husband and I started on George's wonderful way of eating, together we've lost 100 pounds (60 for me and 40 for him). That's a small person! I encourage anyone who wants to lose weight to try this...if you follow the program and eat the fabulous food, it really works. George is the BEST!
on December 30, 2006
I don't find the ingredients in this strange; they are pretty much standard for anyone eating a low-carb and/or gluten free diet. The first cookbook used soy flour for baking, while this one uses almond flour. Besides the sugar substitute and flavor extracts, there are very few ingredients that would not be used by people not eating low-carb. The recipes in this book are great tasting and easy to make. The first cookbook is also recommended. Everything I have made from this book has turned out really well. I especially like the ideas for substitutions and menu planning. This is definitely one of my favorite cookbooks; it is a great value for the price, and the pictures are very inspiring!
on January 3, 2007
I found this book extremely helpful, in fact, many of my friends not dieting wanted recipes. I have no imagination when it comes to cooking - especially low carb meals - but George and his family have imagination to spare. I highly recommend this book. Recipes are easy to prepare and follow.
on February 4, 2006
It really is that great! I am a very picky eater, and everything in this book is "thumbs up"! The banana muffins are amazing, the goldfish crackers are super and the rice pilaf is a "diet saver". If I could give this book more then 5 stars I would!!!!