on March 10, 2011
The ingredients list on amazon is incorrect. The ecco bella website states that this foundation is paraben free. It is medium coverage without being heavy or noticeable and has moisturizing properties.
on March 30, 2010
I don't understand how people can be fooled by the words natural and organic.When it has methylparaben and propylparaben (2 of the most dangerous ingredients in the cosmetic industry) this foundation is anything but natural.So, what is the point of making it out of a couple natural and organic ingredients,when you add the 2 bad guys at the end.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2013
(For the comparison to Honeybee Gardens foundation please read the second to the last paragraph). :)

I bought this foundation in the color Bisque and there are some things I really like about it, like the fact that it really is a nice shade on my skin and that I feel I can wear it both alone or with powder (though powder seems to "set" it and makes it lasts longer). I like how it works with the ECCO Bella concealer and even though there are some things I don't like about this product, I don't regret buying it. You don't get a lot with this product, but a little of it goes a long way and it seems very concentrated, which brings me to the stuff I don't like about it...

With it being so concentrated it is also a very dry product. Girls with shine or any oiliness will love it. For me, though, this foundation emphasizes dryness in my skin. The coverage is very light, similar to a tinted moisturizer or even a little bit less, so if you need medium or full coverage this foundation is not going to give it to you (though the ECCO Bella concealer does help with that).

My biggest complaint however is the chalkiness and the unevenness of the product (that shows through underneath powder or anything you put on top of it). The first time I used this product I apparently didn't look hard enough at how it really looked on my skin and went out to get my hair done. The place I went to had bright fluorescent type lights (Paul Mitchell Salon) and I have never been more embarrassed in my life (as far as my skin is concerned anyway). My face looked absolutely awful. I'm not sure how other people are applying this product, but I had a learning curve in using to learn the foundation I received. Because the first time I used it my skin looked really bad.

It looked like tiny, tiny pieces of clay (or some other substance) were all over my face, especially clinging to any tiny, tiny facial hairs (you know, those tiny, tiny hairs on your face that you don't really notice/never noticed before --this foundation emphasizes those like crazy if you just apply it dry).

After freaking out and going STRAIGHT home after my hair appointment (wow I looked awful...) I had to decide whether to cut my losses with this foundation or try to make it work. Now, in my quest for a truly natural full coverage foundation at that point I'd ONLY found tinted moisturizers -this was the only real "foundation" I'd found. Currently I've learned about other brands whose foundation I'm going to try next (like 100% Pure's Foundation in White Peach). I was pretty desperate to like this product and tried a number of different ways to apply it (and things to apply under it).

In the end, after my learning curve had been completed, I like this foundation okay. As I mentioned in the beginning there are some things I actually DO like about it. The biggest problem though is the finished look on my face and the unevenness and flakiness/chalkiness. Some of that complaint has been eradicated by my "learning curve." But not all of it.

After much experimentation I've found the best way (for me at least) to apply this foundation is this:

-Moisturize well the night before (a must).

-Splash with cool/cold water before applying in the morning, followed by applying in sections and then slowly blending in. While doing this the foundation looks white as a ghost on my skin (even though when it's dry it's a perfect match) and it looks like I'm applying paint or something.

-While I'm blending in it dries pretty quickly and leaves the product better blended and less chalky after it's completely dry. Once it does dry the color no longer looks ghost white and blends in perfectly with my skin tone. I actually really like the color of it (Bisque) and am really pleased with at least that part of it.

-Then of course I apply the rest of my make-up.

Using this method has actually made this foundation wearable, but honestly the chalkiness and unevenness is just not what I'm used to in a foundation and not what I'm looking for. Even though it doesn't give you much coverage with this foundation you LOOK like you're obviously wearing makeup because the consistency is so messy and uneven. This foundation will NOT give you a flawless smooth consistency and honestly should be purchased with the expectations that it will even out skin tone and hide (very, very minor) skin flaws, but will NOT provide a finished a smooth finished look on par with the conventional foundations most of us are used to.

I would be embarrassed to wear this to any kind of special event.

I understand this is a natural product, but I am not going to compromise unless I absolutely have to. As I said, when I bought this product it was the only natural actual foundation I could find. Now I know about more and will be trying them after this tube runs out... Praying that they perform better and leave my skin with a better consistency. Next on my list to try are:

-100% Pure Fruit Foundation (in White Peach)
-The MyChelle product line.

Also, I've ordered Honeybee Garden's Pressed Powder Foundation in Supernatural. Based on the reviews you can truly use this as a foundation, not just a regular powder. I'm not hoping for too much, but because my skin care routine has seriously helped the quality of my skin improve pretty dramatically I might try it using only it as my foundation (and the ECCO Bella concealer for under the eyes). I am going to write a review on that product as well once I get it in and see how it performs.

Overall, I'd recommend others try it, but I wouldn't purchase this product expecting it to be perfect. It does have its flaws and I seriously doubt the finished consistency will change much from skin type to skin type... I'd just recommend either splashing your face with cold water before applying (knowing that you're going to look a little strange until you have it perfectly dry and blended in) or using a wet makeup sponge to apply it. The color Bisque really is a beautiful shade... I just wish that it had a smoother and more finished consistency once applied.

UPDATE 12/26/2013: (This product compared to Honeybee Gardens foundation)

The Honeybee Garden's Pressed powder foundation (mineral foundation) is not what I thought it would be. It is not a powder at all, but a full coverage foundation. It comes in powder form and once you apply it to your face you actually have to blend it in because about 30 seconds after it's applied it turns into a kind of liquid foundation. And OMG I am SO glad I ordered it. Like, amazingly glad. This is the BEST natural foundation EVER. Seriously, EVER. It is amazing. It gives about 3 times as much coverage as this product does, has no issues (like this product) and gives your skin a smooth, matte, flawless finish BETTER than conventional foundation products (yes, BETTER). I am SO relieved that not only do I NOT have to compromise in switching my foundation to a natural foundation, but I've found one that actually makes my skin look even BETTER. I seriously CANNOT recommend the HBG product more highly. If you are looking for an all natural foundation -start with Honeybee Garden's mineral foundation (pressed powder) it gives BETTER coverage than any liquid foundation I've ever used before and honestly makes my skin look amazing. It gives full coverage, evens out your skin and just makes it look smooth and flawless and wonderful. I am absolutely relieved to have found it.

Also, I have to put an update on this product as well -I've found that if you sweat AT ALL with this product (the ECCO Bella foundation) it turns into a mess on your face. Not so with Honeybee Gardens. If you are looking for a natural foundation I would not recommend that this product (ECCO Bella) be your first choice. Even though it's expensive I promise you that it is NOT worth the money. Most people will probably be disappointed unless they have very pale skin (this product is chalky), do not sweat at all, and are looking for light coverage similar to a tinted moisturizer (and I own the Physician's Formula's tinted moisturizer in Light to Natural and it actually covers better than this foundation does). I am so so very happy that I do not have to compromise and have found something even BETTER than the conventional foundations I used to use. Honeybee Gardens foundation is amazing and gives amazing coverage and such a beautiful, long-lasting consistency... Love it!
on July 19, 2013
Other reviews stated the Ecco Bella foundation was not natural. It is no longer correct. Yes, it did have parabens but removed them years ago. Amazon needs to delete these old statements. It is not fair to the company as people will believe them and not buy it. I've used it for years and really like it. It goes on smoother when I put on my sunscreen first as I have dry skin.
on November 18, 2011
I have had serious problems in the past with foundations. Since I am very freckly and fair, its difficult (not only to find the right shade) but to find a make up that doesnt cover my freckles and make me look overly made-up. This stuff is perfect! My face actually shows through, freckles and all, BUT SOMEHOW COVERS MY BLEMISHES!
I also have extremely sensative skin and break out every time I switch makeup brands, but my skin has done nothing but improve since I started using this.

Oh, and it seems like a really small bottle (1 0z), but just a little really does spread out well and go a lomg way.

Anyway, I'm just so excited I have found what works for me!
on August 14, 2008
The search is over. The Ecco Bella Foundation in the color Bisque looks good and feels good on. It blended right into my skin and looks very natural. The coverage lasted all day.

I love that Ecco Bella is made with more natural ingredients than your standard makeup line. I also purchased the Ecco Bella face powder, mascara in black, and the elite collection compact with the lipstick, lip gloss, eye shadow, eye liner, and blush all in one container. The total line costs less than $58 on Amazon Subscribe & Save. Highly recommended!
on January 26, 2012
I highly recommend this foundation. The aloe formula feels great on the skin. I like to use it especially as undereye concealer. It is perfect with the cool pink undertones. Unfortunately this is the only thing I do not like about the product - the rest of my face needs a warm golden or neutral undertone, which the color does not match. But I don't care, I still use it...
a - it feels great on my skin. I need to use powder most days to set it since it is moisturizing and I have combination skin. (I actually like Burt's Bee's baby powder for that! Smells great and stays put even in Mexico's humidity)
b - very good coverage. The best coverage I can find on the market, natural or chemical-laden has been Revlon Colorstay. Stuff is like paint, I tell you. This doesn't match it BUT if I layer it, as you would mascara, it does a pretty good job. 90% of skin discolorations even out.
c - I feel good about using this product. It doesn't have parabens and they use natural ingredients. Since I am breastfeeding my son, and that junk gets into the milk, I am glad I found this.

I have reordered it a few times already. Yay!
on October 28, 2011
I have been using this product for over 10 years. I have really light skin with yellow undertones (red hair, blue eyes, freckles), and the ivory porcelain color is a PERFECT match for me. Years ago I experimented with various natural foundations and found them to either turn out orange, red, super yellow, or else they would feel very heavy on my skin. Some were decent in color but they totally washed off in odd-looking patterns when I sweat or got my face wet. This foundation has never done that - Sure, it comes off when you're in a pool or sweating profusely (I'm not sure if it's waterproof), but it comes off EVENLY, if it does. I am in the rain a lot on my commute to work everyday and I have no problem with it staying on my face -- above eye cream and face lotion.
Couldn't be happier to find it online, as there were a few years that it wasn't available in stores. Lasts forever if you just apply it to spot areas! Also, the spf works out great for spring/fall/winter.
on April 13, 2013
I've been looking for a makeup company that I can stand behind for a while now and I think Ecco Bella was a good choice for me. I did a good bit of research what makeup lines were organic and I felt that Ecco Bella offered the best ingredients at the best pricepoint with organic certifications.
The true test with liquid foundation is how it wears and I worked behind the makeup counter so my standards are pretty high. I also keep in mind that this makeup isn't filled with chemicals and perfumes and that's why I am so forgiving about this foundation. Of all the Ecco Bella products I bought this is the one that I am least satisfied with. I can see the color setting in my pores and I get streaking with application. It's a little on the chalky side and doesn't blend as smoothly as other chemical foundations do. I think that when I check my color half way through the day that isn't still there in my more oily spots, not as enduring as I would like.
Will I return it? Absolutely not. Will I buy it again? Maybe. If I try other organic foundations and I find something better, no. But if I find that this is the best one out there I can live with it. It isn't horrible by any means, it just sits on my skin the way foundation used to sit on my skin before companies discovered more unnatural things to add into them to get them to be smoother and look more even. I'm totally willing to trade these coverage issues for quality of organic materials and eco-friendly brand. That's more important to me. What I won't do is go back to those chemical ridden perfumed foundations.
With that said the color itself (I bought bisque) is great, it matches my skin tone quite well and I love how the color stays true throughout the day. Paired with the pressed powder (pale) is the lifesaver for this foundation. The powder covers all of my issues with this foundation flawlessly. It evens out and softens when I need it. I love that it has SPF that's important to me.
To solve the blending issue I use a foundation brush instead of my fingers and that works like a charm. There's a little streaking with it so my next step is to mix a little moisturizer with the foundation to see if that will make the coverage more even.
All in all I'm happy with it but I do want to be honest to those who are reading reviews. Overall I am thrilled with the Ecco Bella line. If you are looking for a makeup that will be kind to the earth and your skin, try this. I've been very happy with this line so far.
on February 18, 2013
Suggest you review below:

Skin Irritation
Isopropyl palmitate can cause skin irritations. IPP use, especially in products that also contain synthetic alcohol and isopropyl alcohol, can cause a number of potential skin problems, including acne and dermatitis.

Clogged Pores
Isopropyl palmitate can clog the pores, resulting in the appearance of dermatological conditions such as whiteheads and blackheads. The thickness of the chemicals in IPP can deprive the skin of nutrients such as as oxygen. If the skin doesn't breathe, your pores can become clogged, and healthy skin cells can die. This can also lead to dry, flaky skin.

Environmental Dangers
While its effects on the human body are obvious, IPP also creates some environemntal dangers. Isopropyl palmitate is directly derived from palm, which is the staple food of a prominent species of primates, the orangutan. The rush to procure palm, triggered by the global cosmetics industry's clamor for its use as an ingredient, has devastated vast areas of palm growth around the world, including rainforsests. These rainforests are the traditional dwelling place of the orangutans. Deprived of their main source of subsistence, they are dying from hunger. The over-harvesting of palm could lead to the endangerment and even possible extinction of orangutans.

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Isopropyl Palmitate? | eHow.com [...]