5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful journal

Published 5 months ago by xCaliber

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful journal, October 22, 2009
Candice (Rocky Mount, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eccolo World Traveler 6 x 8 Inches Classico Journal, Brown (D409B) (Office Product)
I have kept a journal for several years. I usually buy less expensive books, but I could not pass this one up. It was well worth the price. I actually bought it directly from the company in burgundy which is even prettier than the brown. It is definitely keepsake worthly. The book is of average size and the page edges are gilded. The leather is very soft and beautifully tooled. Very regal looking. The paper is fairly heavy. Fountain pen ink does not bleed through, but rubber stamp ink does, so I would not reccommend using a really wet pen. The only thing that is missing is a ribbon page marker. I would definitely buy from this company again. I think it would be an ideal gift for someone in their late teens and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! I love this Gift!, February 11, 2008
I purchased this as a gift for my Teenage son. It will be treasured and used well. He was extremely surprised at such a luxurious design. You cannot go wrong with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful gift, March 26, 2009
J. S. Green (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I purchased this as a gift for an avid reader/writer. I was very pleased with the quality. The cover is soft and supple, and the gold edged pages give it a very formal and expensive look. The gift was very well received!

The cover was not exactly like the picture, but still had the fleur-de-lis design and embossing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Journal, October 20, 2009
I gave this as a gift. I wanted a blank book so this person could write poetry and personal thoughts in it. It also had to be attractive and it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Journal, January 11, 2013
Holly Golightly (Western Hemisphere) - See all my reviews
This really is a beautiful, classic looking journal. The pages are lined on both sides and there is an antique looking gold trim. The product, made in Italy, feels sturdy yet light in the hand. I was looking for a timeless book to write in and this is definitely it. The only issue I have with this is I am left-handed and the front face pops closed over my hand as I write, so I have to reach my right hand over to prop it open. This is annoying but I imagine this will stop happening as I break the spine in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leather Diary, December 29, 2011
I purchased this as a gift, and I was not disappointed. The gold leaf edges on the pages is really nice. Seems good quality. The gold around the edges of the cover are a little bright, but not really obnoxious. I would purchase this again.

3.0 out of 5 stars the product image looks better than the actual product, July 3, 2014
As a few others have noted, the journal you get is different from the one in the product image. In my opinion, the product image looks much better than the actual product, which looks cheaper in comparison largely due to the fact that the spine doesn't have those classy ridges. It is a big mistake on the part of the seller. Since I had wished accurate photos of this journal were available when I was contemplating getting this, I have uploaded some after receiving mine; hopefully they will help future customers in their decisions.

Aside from the discrepancy in looks, this journal is decent though not spectacular.

- The burgundy cover is soft and cushiony-thick. It has a subtle leather-like texture and is smooth and rather like plastic than real leather, yet it gives a good grip. I find it very pleasant to hold and touch.
- The fleur-de-lis and golden frame around it are deeply and cleanly embossed in the cover and look nice.
- The gilded page edges go perfectly with the gold detail on the cover.
- The journal will NOT lie completely flat.
- The lines are adequate, neither too dark nor too light (if you want non-intruding lines that make the pages look almost blank, go with certain Peter Pauper Press journals). Line spacing is on the narrow side.
- The papers are smooth but a bit THIN for these journals. They are thicker than the pages in regular Moleskines produced these days, but thinner than those in most other journals I own, including some from Peter Pauper Press and Barnes&Noble Punctuate.

I deducted one star for it being different from the product image (not as classy as the product image) and another star because its papers are on the thin side and it doesn't lie flat. But it is still a nice, fancy-looking journal that I'm sure I will have a pleasant time writing in. Recently I've seen the burgundy's price drop to as low as $16, and the brown version is regularly $15.99 at another product entry in Amazon, and I think the journal is worth that price.

UPDATE on pens: I have filled about 1/3 of this journal now. I've written with:
-Pilot Precise V5 RT Extra Fine black
-Sharpie Pen Fine black
-Lamy Safari/Al-Star Fountain Pen EF nib with Lamy black ink
-a Sailor fountain pen F nib with Sailor waterproof black ink.

I write on both sides of each page and while you do see some shadow on the other side , it is actually fine to write on both sides. Note that all the pens I've regularly used have fine tips; medium nibs with wetter ink do bleed through.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, January 14, 2013
This is the most durable product I bought and its cheeper to buy from amazon then other places some other places charged 40 for this but here u dnt got to pay a lot to get a great product . Pages are fine texture and great leather book for recording ur life or just simple writing.do suggest this to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected!, December 6, 2012
I was worried this wasn't worth the price but after I got it, it turned out to be a great choice for a gift! The leather cover is a nice soft, the gold border is a great contrast to the darkened cover. The journal is surprisingly light-weight. I would definitely recommend this journal.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay., January 24, 2011
It looks somewhat different from the picture. I thought it would be a more vibrant burgundy, but it turned out a little darker than expected. BUT! I love it. The gold makes it feel like vintage. I'm pretty satisfied for the price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›