5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice simple journal
I own several of Eccolo's journals and they all are exactly the same except for the covers, so my reviews will be pretty similar. I couldn't find specifications on this journal initially, so I ordered it and came up with the below information:

Published on October 12, 2010 by Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Pages don't lie flat
This journal is about the size of a greeting card. The binding is such that the pages do not lie flat and it is extremely difficult to write in. I bought this journal for a class that requires a daily journal. I went out an purchased a new journal after my first attempt to use this one. It is not comfortable to write in.

The binding is a nice, soft leather. I...
Published on September 20, 2010 by JJ

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice simple journal, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Eccolo World Traveler Essential Collection 5 x 7 Inches Lined Journal, Tree of Life (Paperback)

COVER - The cover is made of light green leather with an embossed tree on the front. The color matches what is pictured on Amazon. The cover does not seem to scratch easily or hold marks on it. It should hold up to some abuse.

PAGE LENGTH - 128 pages or 256 leaves if you write on the front and back + 1 blank prelim page at the front and 1 blank trailing page at the back.
18 lines per page (not counting writing on the top line)

MATERIAL - The paper is ivory and goes well with the red cover. It is acid-free (meaning it will not deteriorate or turn yellow easily) and made of heavy stock. The paper is not very thick and in my hands it feels about the same weight as standard American 20lb weight copy paper. The lines on the paper are a somewhat light color. They are the perfect shade in my opinion and don't stand out too much, but are dark enough for ease of use. There is some light bleeding through to the pages in areas where I pressed the pen down too hard, or when I've used a heavy fountain pen. It is enough that you can easily read what is written on the back of the page. Unless you have a light hand or are using a light ink, I would probably recommend against using both sides of the page. You could certainly do it without a mess, but it just depends on how clean of a look you want on each page. I cut a piece of a manila envelope to the same size as the journal pages, and put it underneath the piece of paper I'm writing on each time so that it doesn't bleed through to the next page.

SIZE - 4.75" x 6 5/8" (not quite 5x7 as the description says)
Actual writing space (length of the lines inside the margins) = 4.25" x 5.25"
|THIS IS EXACTLY HOW MUCH SPACE U HAVE PER LINE| (if you were to write in 12 point Times New Roman font). So expect not to get any more than 162 words per page unless you handwriting is very small. The margins are the perfect width to ensure you get enough use out of each sheet and no room is wasted.

BINDING/CONSTRUCTION - the binding is sewn in, and separated into 8 sections. This way you don't have to worry about too many pages being held by one thread, and the threads can actually break and only 1/8 of the journal will separate. This method of binding is also very useful because it means you can easily open to any page in the journal and it will naturally separate along one of those sections, so you don't have to break the binding too much to lay the journal flat like you would have to with a paperback book. The binding and threads are also secured on the back with a strip of adhesive. The binding is very well made and the threads seem tight, but strong. I do not have any qualms about the binding breaking and would think this journal should hold up to daily use for awhile and several decades of storage. After heavy use, I do not see any noticeable creases on the spine of the journal where you can tell it has been opened many times. It still appears new. There is no bookmark built into the journal.

I find this to be a very nicely-made and simplistic journal and think it would satisfy the requirements for anyone who wants something small and nice-looking. It is not something I would write my Presidential memoirs in, but satisfies my requirements for regular daily use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful..., May 22, 2009
I can't help but say the reason I bought this particular journal was because it reminded me of Lord of the Rings. Other than that, I've been searching for a good leather journal for a while. Nothing in the local stores interested me, but then finally I saw this. Not only did the price catch my eye, but the look of the journal. When I received it, it exceeded my expectations and I absolutely love everything about it. It's smaller than I realized, but I am very satisfied with the size because I can easily fit it in my purses to bring it with me everywhere. The pages are high quality and acid-free. I love the super-soft leather cover and it seems like it will hold up well through the years that I plan to use this journal for. I would definitely buy another one, for myself or for someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 15, 2008
I love this journal and believe it would make an excellent gift. Soft leather like cover with lined pages. Fits into my larger purses.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pages don't lie flat, September 20, 2010

The binding is a nice, soft leather. I purchased the green journal and the color in the photo is true to the actual color of the journal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, January 14, 2009
I was so pleased when this book arrived. It is small, but so easy to write in and the cover is beautiful. I am so pleased I am planning to purchase more for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Journal, December 17, 2008
Cate "Cate" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with these journals. They are big enough to write in, but small enough to carry them with you. I bought four as Christmas gifts, so I'm hoping that the recipients will like them as much as I do!

4.0 out of 5 stars keepsake, February 5, 2009
The lovely journal can be a treasured keepsake. The cover is beautifully tooled and has a simple elegance. Has quality binding and pages are lined for ease of writting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Embossing crooked on cover, August 2, 2012
Sarah (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
My biggest disappointment is that the embossing on the cover of this journal is totally crooked. Perhaps "Fine Keepsakes" doesn't have any type of quality control, because the square design on the front is clearly not aligned with the straight edges of the journal. Everything else about the journal is great, but the crooked design makes it look so cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice journal!, March 9, 2013
I bought this as a keepsake journal and started keeping it when I was 6 weeks pregnant. I'm now 36 weeks along and know that one day, it will make a wonderful gift for my daughter. It's beautiful and has held up very well so far. Well worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Faux leather, February 20, 2013
I have bought several of these little journals. I like them because they are quite small. And they have attractive colors and covers. I was about to order a fourth one and see that the heading calls them "leather" (not sure if it always said that..). If one looks closely, touches carefully and smells for the unmistakable smell leather has, it is apparent the cover is made of an imitation leather vinyl. Check the product description... the product description does NOT say they are leather (it says "handcrafted". If it were leather you can be sure they would make that claim in the product description.) I still think it is a useful small size ( if you like a small journal for your purse or traveling). I like at it comes in different colors so each one I get looks different from the previous one. I don't support the misleading title suggesting it is real leather, so I probably won't elect to purchase another until the misleading description is corrected. (I took my last cover apart a bit to make sure before writing this--It appears to be a bonded vinyl).

ARRAY(0x98886510)