4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, a few things to be aware of
Published on November 16, 2011 by Eric

3.0 out of 5 stars works 75% of the time
Published on March 18, 2012 by scott rainone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, a few things to be aware of, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Eccotemp 40HI-NG Indoor Gas Tankless Water Heater, 135,000 British Thermal Unit (Tools & Home Improvement)
So let's start off with the good- the water heater does indeed give us endless hot water, it's been reliable since we put it in, and you seriously cannot beat it for the price- a superb value! The water heats up quickly- we're in Colorado and I guess some of the older units had issues with altitude, if you open it up all the way and remove the goofy screen over the air intake (Which restricts the air by almost 50% according to my plumber) it works well. The tech support for the heater was really good, he knew what he was talking about and walked us through some installation hiccups. It definitely is an energy saver!

Now the not so great- this thing MUST have Class III stainless pipe to the outside, and support will not talk to you about certain things unless it's professionally installed- these two things really crank the end price up a bit- the Class III stainless I picked up at Lowe's locally for $50 per 4 foot section, and still had to special order a few things- the backdraft preventer, the wall penetration plate, and the roof penetration- they all must be Class III to meet code- that plus having the plumber come out to do the gas and some other things made the price about $1300-$1500 all in- my reason for mentioning this, is that you just need to be aware that it's not a simple plug and play like popping in a standard hot water heater- much higher gas requirements and different locations for the plumbing.

The last not so good is an attribute of all tankless water heaters- not this one specifically- although you get endless hot water, it does still take a bit to get up to temperature, so it's wasting a few more gallons of water than the older tank style- I'm ordering a re-circulation pump specifically made for tankless units that should fix that problem, but tack another $450 or so on if you are concerned with that waste as well.

Good product, things I thought prospective buyers should be aware of before taking the plunge.

3.0 out of 5 stars works 75% of the time, March 18, 2012
scott rainone (SAN ANTONIO, TX, US) - See all my reviews
I really thought I would be doing the right thing by "going tankless" but it has been a mistake. The unit was professionally installed and works great about 75% of the time. It really does not seem to cope well with the on and off demands of a kitchen but would work better for a shower or bath where the demand was more consistent. Overall I am disappointed with its performance as it needs to be reset often for error codes that coincide with frequent on and off use.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far, 5 stars, August 20, 2011
So far, 8 months into my ownership experience, this machine has provided me with OUTSTANDING service.

Eccotemp 40HI-NG Indoor Gas Tankless Water Heater, 135,000 British Thermal Unit

My gas bills are $4 a month

I never run out of hot water, even with a dual "rainstorm" shower heads in the master shower with flow restrictors missing (I have no idea why they aren't there).

I have the unit cranked up to 135 degrees to get clothes and dishes clean and I don't have to worry about wasting energy by heating some giant tank of water that just sits there.

I do not notice any difference in how long it takes for hot water to show up at the faucet.

The unit was a more of a bother to install than a replacement water tank would have been. I probably spent $100 in new parts. Well worth it for a machine that will pay for itself in under a year.

This unit was half the price of comparable units at the local mega-hardware stores.

Most people should have a professional install this unit. Experienced DIYers only.

Only con to be aware of: these units are turned on when someone turns on a hot water tap. If the flow of water isn't "enough" (in terms of gallons/minute), it won't trigger the sensor that turns the unit on. I don't have that problem with any of my faucets, but I can see how some people would for some reason. I think all the tankless units are that way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy It!!!!!, May 15, 2012
Don't buy it!!! That is my best advice. I purchased this product in Nov. of 2011 and by March 2012 not quite 5 months later the unit leaked. I have been a total of over 2 months trying to get things corrected. It has cost me about $100.00 in shipping to go back and forth with replacement parts and then another $250.00 deposit to get a replacement unit for them to tell me that it was warranty all along. After a month I did get the $250.00 deposit back but apparently I have to eat the shipping of not only the replacement parts that were not used but also the defective unit that they classified as warranty! I would also like to add that the company first tried to claim that the unit had frozen because I live in NY, even though NY had broken every record on file because of our warm temparatures...the day that the leak was detected it was 79 degrees outside. Eccotemps solution was to tell me that I should keep my water dripping in a faucet at all times to keep the unit from freezing, I cannot believe that this is there solution to keep the unit from freezing even in a heated basement. Amazon should be listing a warning on this product for anyone who lives in a freeze zone. AGAIN DO NOT BUY!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 12, 2012
So far so good. I installed the heater myself. I would consider my level of expertise as intermediate level, if that helps.

Overall I really like tankless heaters, this is my second one. My previous one was a Bosch. This one appears to be nicer. It has an electronic control so you set the temp (It will go as high as 140 degrees)and it will modulate the combustion air and gas valve to maintain the hot water setpoint.

Let me address what some of the other reviewers are saying about the amount of water that has to flow in order to get the unit to fire. I think it depends on several factors. I can turn my faucets on maybe half way and the unit fires just fine and the water temp is great. If you have low flow shower heads you MIGHT have issues.

If I turn on the tub half way it is great also. However, if I open the faucet on the tub too far the water temp is not hot enough for the wife. The heater cant keep up because it exceeds the capacity of the unit. The solution then is to only open it to my half way. Then the water temp is fine. This heater also has a combustion blower so it will require a 120 volt circuit close by. And if you are wondering it is very quiet.

As was mentioned by some others, the flue will need to be stainless so that will add a considerable cost to the installation.

All things considered I am very pleased with the heater. What we don't know yet, is how reliable is it going to be?

Only time will tell.

3.0 out of 5 stars Took some getting used to, April 27, 2011
I'd give the unit itself a 5-star, but the amount of water I have to use made me bump it down to 3 stars.

This model is a good tankless water heater. However, if you are looking to save water, tankless is probably not the way to go. You have to have the hot water tap going full throttle at all times in order for the heating mechanism (a spin wheel of sorts) to trip on and start heating the water. You have to run the water for about 30-60 seconds before you will get hot water, too. I live in an old, old house and there is a certain order I have to turn on the various faucetts in the bathroom in order for me to have hot water for the entirety of my shower. (I'm guessing this is a water pressure thing having to do with antiquidated or poorly installed plumbing.) Also, since it has an electronic display, you will need a batter backup in order to have hot water when the electricity goes out (which happens all too regularly where I live). I feel like the energy savings are negligible because of the hoops I have to jump through in order to keep hot water constant.

2.0 out of 5 stars Compare to Rinnai (TIP: spend the extra $ on Rinnai), October 25, 2012
Peter Pisciotta "Peter P" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have had a Rinnai unit on my house for 7-years which has worked perfectly. When I had a guest house remodeled, I of course wanted a tankless heater but without the steep Rinnai price. Shortly after install, the unit started to reset itself, which means the user must press the on/off button to make it operable. Not a problem if the display is near the faucet you're trying to use. Ecotemp sent a new 'brain' which I replaced to no effect (which is not an easy install - unit must be removed from wall and disassembled); and then sent a replacement water heater. After a year, it's doing the same thing again. The Tech Service person for Ecotemp told me "Rinnai's are the Cadillac, we are more of a Chevy"

I am soooo sorry I didn't spend the extra money and go with the Rinnai. It's bullet proof and while I saved $400 with the Ecotemp, the time/hassle has more than consumed the savings

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, October 19, 2012
I hired a contractor to install the unit. His reply when completed was, "This is a boss unit." He does this for a living and said that the Eccotemp was one of the easiest to install. I had gone to my local plumbing and heating supply store to purchase the required venting because I have a gas unit but they did not handle anything that was compable with Eccotemp. I did my entire shopping online through Amazon for all the components that it needed.

I do not have city water but have a well and use natural gas to heat the water. The installer went into the kitchen and bathroom and turned on the hot water faucets and told me to watch the heater kick in. As shipped, the water temperature level is set to 120 degrees. This number appears in the window on the unit when not in use. You can adjust this level very simply by pressing the up or down pads below this window. As the water began to flow a internal fan kicked in to clear the internal unit and then the ignitor lit the gas. When this happened the digital temperature reading began to plummit down to 64 degrees. It has never gone any lower so I think that the number is the lowest that the unit goes. Anyway, once the water heater was operating the temperature reading began going upward VERY quickly. I mean it was moving!!! In just a few seconds it was at the 120 degree high end temperature. I haven't timed it with a stop watch but I'm guessing it was around 10 seconds to get it to temp. This unit sure is efficient.

To the performance, it is definitely different than a standard hot water heater. With the regular heater you set the faucet at the desired temperature and it stays there until you run out of hot water. With the on-demand the temperature fluctuates slightly. I'll compare it with a cruise control on a vehicle. When you start going uphill it calls for more power and there is a sight dip in the speed. Likewise, when going downhill, it backs down a bit. The same thing happens with a on-demand. Standing in the shower I can feel a very slight difference in the water temperature as it heats or rests. I don't think the change is any more than a couple of degrees but it is noticeable. The difference between a regular hot water heater and the on-demand is that the regular heater is eventually going to run out of hot water but the on-demand will have hot water 365, 24/7.

I'm definitely happy with the unit and look forward to the energy savings.

I'm posting this on 11/17/12 after giving some thought to the fluctuation in the water temperature. I have a well and not city provided water. I think it may be when the well pump kicks in and then kicks off as the reason for the slight rise and fall in temperature. No matter; I really like the unit and know I'm saving $$$$$

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot water without storage, November 14, 2012
I had this water heater installed by myself and it took the best part of the day because there were some goofy things like the water inlet and outlet not using conventional pipefitting treads, what where they thinking I ended up running all over town looking for this unconventional tread to make it fit no luck so I ended up jury rigging this the best I could, gas connection no problem. Now that it is installed it works flawless once you turn the water on the unit calibrates the temperature locks in at 125 for the entire time it is on. Called about the unconventional pipe tread and was told that a replacement tread was on the way because I was unable to make the water connection totally drip free. The one negative aspect is the noisy forced air fan that runs quiet during operation except after shut down when it cools it is excessively noisy in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, August 25, 2012
So far this water heater is working great. I converted my old tank system to this new tankless system and it is just great. There is a bit of a delay like any tankless heater, but it brings it up to temp quickly and remains very consistent. You can't beat this system for the price, even though the venting for the unit will end up costing around 200 no matter how you do it. I have seen some reviews claiming it to be for advanced DIY'ers, but I have never done plumbing and was able to do this whole system, including taking out by old tanked heater and 5 trips to hardware store in about 6 hours. I was told to run the 3/4 inch black pipe directly to the system instead of using the flew hosing, i guess it helps with the flow of gas due to the high BTU rating (Just sharing what people have told me). Installation was a snap and if you take you time to read up on what is code you can have it up and going in a few hours. I will add onto the review after the winter months. I know it was a bit intimidating since I have never even seen one before, except for at home depot, but just use common sense and its easy.

Flow rate on this system is great, fills a tub easily and didn't notice a temperature change when taking a shower and wife doing dishes.