5.0 out of 5 stars Echo CS-400 18 INCH CHAIN SAW
This saw the Echo CS-400 18 INCH CHAIN SAW is excellent lots of power ,saw will do heavy duty cutting to light cutting first pull will start, this saw will last a long time with proper maintenance will put some 700-1300 dollar chain saws to rest .I believe this saw is the best made at this time, for 10 years experience in tree cutting this is the best saw I have and i...
Published on October 16, 2008 by nahart

1.0 out of 5 stars I got a lemon and no support...
I got my CS-400 as a gift and used it 2-3 times with great success late last fall. It started easily, ran fairly smooth (a little rough, but I thought it was still being broken in). When I went to start it this spring, I downed 3 trees and was getting ready to cut one up when it stalled and would not restart. The engine was seized and would not move.

I...
Published on June 1, 2009 by GR consumer

5.0 out of 5 stars home owners delight, August 23, 2008
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
this saw is perfect for any job around the house and yard..plenty of power,super easy start,light weight ,easy to hold,and feels good in your hands... ill probly never need to replace this saw. its alot of saw and its built to last.

UPDATE: 5 years later, still running strong with no problems... ive cut up many tree's over the years,i have woods all around me so it gets alot of use. i have been very happy with this saw, i keep it clean and use the correct feul mixture with 93 octane gas. 5/19/13

2.0 out of 5 stars didnt work out, May 20, 2013
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
Saw was nice and always started easy but locked up the engine the 2nd year I had it and was told my gas was bad and they would not cover under warranty. I ALWAYS treat my gas and use the same gas in trimmer and blower (stihl) with no problems. The 5 year warranty sounds good but for me they didn't back up the product. Now I have a chainsaw that looks brand new and used a handfull of times but will cost the same price as a new saw to fix. If I am going to pay for a chainsaw again It looks like its time to change the brand of saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars ECHO 400, October 3, 2009
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
We own a log home on 32 wooded aches ,For the last 2 yrs we have used this saw 3-5 days a per week and it work/runs like new.. I go a tad over with any 2 cyc mixing the oil 50.1 ratio to make sure my echo runs with a tad of blue smoke when increasing rpms/but not to much smoke or it will bog down..It will last a long time..

5.0 out of 5 stars light and powerful saw., May 20, 2014
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
Very happy with this saw. It starts quickly and runs perfectly, even when hot. Although it is very lightweight it
is powerful and can tackle big jobs, I use it to cut all the wood for heating two households. One of the nicer features
is quick access to the air filter which can be cleaned repeatedly without destroying it. I've cut all my wood for years
and this is the best chainsaw yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Echo CS-400 review, October 31, 2013
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
I have now run 7 or 8 tanks of gas through my Echo CS-400 and as a long time chainsaw user I have these observations: The saw is very well balanced and is a very strong performer for only 40cc. It is light weight, starts very easily and cuts with suprising power. The controls are straightforward and logical. The air filter is well designed, easy to access and easy to clean. This is a solid, well built tool. I strongly recommend this product for serious firewood cutters and other users who want a light, high performance saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the thing, January 28, 2010
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
I've had this saw for about a year. I've cut down anywhere from 10" to 36" trees (18" bar was a stretch), and cut them up into 18" pieces for the wood stove. Saw has been awesome. It eats wood like a starving beaver. Better than anything else in its price range. Stihls are no doubt better saws, but for average joe wood cutter with a limited budget, I dare you to find a better saw. -Patrick (wife is Marie)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hey…..it actually works!, August 22, 2014
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
Seems to start, run and cut OK. I think it may be ok for a while but I noticed right off it could use more power….like 25% more. I guess it's acceptable for something made today. It does cut firewood, and thats what I needed. Probably as good as any name brand chainsaw out there of the same size, but I am hardly thrilled with it (like some people say) . We'll see how long it lasts, thats anybodies guess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend for light use. Don't know how it stands up to heavy use., July 8, 2014
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
I purchase log length wood for firewood. Have had this saw 3 years. I have gone through 20 full cords of log length wood delivered to my house. I have used it to down about 2-3 cords of standing trees here and there.

The saw has continued to run with no problems other then those of my own doing... Mostly my incorrect cutting of limbs on standing trees and getting the saw wedged in, as well as gouging the dirt too frequently as a newbie.

Log length wood is no problem delivered to buck up to 24-26 inches but you do have to roll the log and make a second cut on the other side to finish the job.

Standing trees aren't to bad either but it definitely doesn't have the power of some of the professional saws.

Since I have most of my wood delivered I think this level of saw is perfect. It basically gets heavy use 3-4 days out of the year each year. I don't know how this saw would hold up with daily or more frequent use.

I had to order a new chain tensioner setup (3 small pieces). Cost like 20$. The tension gears are "metal" but some kinda cheap metal and strip very easily. Most of the parts you need to fix or replace are easily purchased online.

I haven't had any no-start, difficulty starting, or frozen engine problems at all and hope not to, but this isn't a saw I use frequently. It sits for 6-7 months at a time gets used heavily for 1-2 days. Then goes back to rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and Easy to Operate, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
I have prior experience with Stihl & Echo outdoor equipment. Both are good products provided you take care of them. Any product will have an occasional bad apple, but these are good chainsaws. Unboxed my saw, assembled saw, added bar oil, and gasoline (89 octane & up mixed with oil provided. I read over the owners manual even though I've owned many outdoor garden equipment. It started right up with no problem.
I volunteer with the USDA Forest Service maintaining hiking trail with a tree bucking certification. This saw slices through our pines, oaks, hickory, ironwood, and other trees. It has good power for thick cuts while lighter weight. A little tradeoff weight for power, but I thick it is worth it. It's a little lighter duty chainsaw than a Stihl, but a reliable saw. It starts easily with fewer steps than a Stihl, even though I think Stihl is probably the best saw you can get.
I have always cleaned my saws after each use by removing covers & chains to clean out wood particles. Very important to keep your saws working correctly. I use fresh gasoline with stabilizers in small batches, so fuel never get old and keep a sharp chain on the saw.
I've seen prior reviews and if you take care of your saw it will take care of you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great ....if it starts!, October 23, 2010
G. Brown (Modesto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw
I don't understand what the problem is with getting chainsaw's to start consistently. This is the second one I've owned,(there will not be a third), that has the same issue. Lawnmowers start on the first crank right out the box, and do so EVERYTIME afterwards. Why can't chainsaw companies make this happen with their product?

Echo CS-400 18" Gas Chainsaw