Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on April 25, 2010
I did an awful lot of research before deciding on the Eclipse AVN4430. There are a few important truths I learned about in-dash nav/stereo combinations that potential buyers should be aware of:

(1) They are expensive. But cost is not necessarily the best indicator of how good the unit will actually perform.
(2) None of them is perfect. There's just too much technology involved; and the more complicated they are, the more likely you are to experience glitches.
(3) Just about all of them are a pain-in-the-neck to operate. The manuals aren't much help, they are not particularly intuitive, and none are very well menu-driven.

With those aspects in mind, I'm quite pleased with the AVN4430. As others have indicated, it has a few failings. But if you search reviews for far more expensive nav/stereos by Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, et cetera, you'll find the complaints come with the territory.

The Eclipse loads up in a reasonable amount of time, has a great GPS unit in the Tom Tom, and does not require a course in "avanced electronics" to operate. I especially like that the GPS can be easily removed for updates via my home computer and used in other vehicles. Try that with virtually all other makes and models. And at around $600, it does what the $1000-$1200 systems do as well or better.

I'll finish by writing that my wife has a top-of-the-line (and quite expensive)Kenwood Excelon in her vehicle, and she continues to be frustrated with it after nearly a year of ownership. It's just too difficult to operate and the GPS is problematic. After using my Eclipse just one time, she said it was far more user-friendly.
on May 7, 2010
Some reasons why I bought the AVN4430 and which others might want to consider:
1> Cheaper than most of the new Audio/Video/Navigation/Bluetooth Head units from Eclipse/JVC/Kenwood and Pioneer.
2> Tom Tom GPS. Its a brand by itself not without a good reason.
3> Portable/Auto theft mechanism.
4> Ability to integrate Backup Camera/Sirius/XM and other features.
5> Volume Knob and easily accessible controls. Functioning unit even without the screen.
6> Eclipse sound capability/audio clarity.

I had to do a lot of research to find a good unit for my 2000 Honda Accord and this unit matched most of the reasons listed above on top of my mind for the purchase. This may not be the best unit in the market but it certainly is a very unique one in its kind. The only other unit that came close to meeting my requirement of having a detachable/portable faceplate in this price range was the U310BT from Pioneer. But I was put off by the bad reviews about its useless GPS. By contrast this one is a Tom Tom updatable GPS. I was amazed that it worked accurately without loosing signal in a closed location with no attached GPS antenna inside the car. There's a ton of features with the Tom Tom GPS itself and millions of POIs. Its got innovative POI categories like Places of Worship as well which is really cool to have. The bluetooth is an added bonus and should work when the GPS is used outside the AVN4430 as well. Although I havent tried it yet. The only "downside" was that the battery is not sustainable for longer that 2 minutes without being plugged into the charger. Other than that I took it for a trip in a car minus the rest of the unit and it worked just fine.

What impressed me is that I could easily work with the audio without ever having to touch the Touch screen interface itself or even without it attached. Often a touch screen requires you to watch while adjusting the features. Having a volume knob and other controls makes life easy. Some controls will require going through the manual but one time was enough to learn them.

While looking arround I found very little helpful information or review of the AVN4430. Most of the forums have been flooded by someone who is mad about some IPOD integration feature failures. I dont use an IPOD for music. So I cannot really review this. It makes more sense to me to either burn my music on a CD-RW or to use a USB stick. The CD works excellent with this player. It takes no time to start where it left off. However the USB interface does seem to be a bit slow initially while loading some files and this happens everytime I restart the car. After it finds the files it will play the last track played from the beginning. Also this feature does not work without the attached screen. There's no complain with the sound quality. Some people crib about missing equalizers or sound controls. I am not a DJ and even if I was one I wouldnt be driving arround while adjusting the tunes on my music. That's dangerous and useless at the same time. The Loud option and the simple controls to adjust Bass/Treble/LPF and other features are good enough.

I got it installed professionally to avoid making a mess out of my car. It does look like an after maket reciever but looks good overall. I'll try to put some pics of it here as well.

My only worry with this product is the mechanized faceplate which adjusts everytime I want to insert a CD. What if it breaks? I also heard that Eclipse has shut shop in the US due to some marketing glitch. I dont know if something goes wrong I'll still get support. Apart from these worries my experience with the AVN4430 deserves nothing but a 5-Star rating.
review image review image review image
on April 27, 2010
I've had this for about a little over 6 months and use it with a backup camera as well. The start up time could be a little faster but as a GPS unit/radio/CD player it works very well. I find it works well with my iPod Touch as opposed to the other users. occasionally , i have to re-plug it in for it to detect the iPod. the only really poor feature is the built-in blue tooth quality as people on the other end have difficulty hearing me adn say that the connection is not great. Overall though for an in-dash unit, its great!
on June 28, 2009
I made the ultimate mistake! I gave Eclipse a second chance and bought the AVN4430.

I already have the AVN2210P and I have had the same issues that others have reported i.e. rebooting etc. To be fair most of these are now sorted with the latest software.

I saw the new 4430 advertised and liked the sleeker look with the widescreen etc. So I decided to give Eclipse another chance and I bought it.

Unfortunately there is some problem with the Ipod interface i.e it doesn't restart from the last song like its supposed to. So its exactly like the 2210P in that respect. While it plays all the songs OK, it doesn't hold the Ipod preferences i.e. "Shuffle" and "repeat". At each restart, both of these boxes are unticked when they would have been selected at switch off. I'm not concerned with the "repeat" function but I always leave my 2210P on "shuffle".

My own Ipod is a 4th gen model so I borrowed a friends 5th gen Ipod just to try it in case mine was faulty - although mine worked fine on the 2210P. The 5th gen didn't work at all!! It just said "connecting to.....Ipod" and that was it.

Eclipse eventually responded to my numerous queries. They admitted that the AVN4430 has software problems just like the 2210P. Eclipse are working on a "solution" but I returned the unit to the Seller.

I really can't believe that Eclipse have once again released a unit that does not perform as it should. Do they not have a quality control department?

I have returned the unit to the Seller but unfortunately this whole experience will have cost me about $230 as I had the unit shipped to Europe, paid customs charges, downloaded a European map and had to pay to return it.

So I will NEVER buy another Eclipse product and I would urge other potential buyers to think twice before they do. I hope to buy a unit from a reliable manufacturer that works properly.
on January 27, 2010
I am very happy with this aftermarket in dash car stereo/navigation system. It was a nice upgrade to my factory stereo. Very easy to install and operate.
on May 21, 2009
The Eclipse AVN4430 Won the 2009 Innovations Award at CES--for Good reason.

This is one of the finest multi-function audio/video/portable navi (AVN) systems on the market.

The new Eclipse AVN4430 audio/video/navigation (AVN) system recently won the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) Innovations Design and Engineering Award at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.

The AVN4430 is an AM/FM/DVD/CD/CD-R/RW/MP3/WMA source unit with removable/portable TomTom GPS navigation with a 4.3-inch WQVGA touch screen, switchable display colors, voice instruction, built-in Bluetooth, iPod audio and video support and controls, USB port, HD/satellite radio compatible and 50Wx4 peak four-channel amp. For complete information on this product, visit [...]

Eclipse was the trailblazer for the category of AVN, to be recognized as a category leader and to maintain that leadership since its inception is well deserved. This product more than ever, reflects Eclipse's continued commitment to improving audio and visual elements in AVN technology.

I highly recommend the unit as the "biggest AVN bang for the buck" I've seen. The installation with the proper Scosche products was a snap. Connecting the wiring harnesses together was easy thanks to color-coded wires. I love the unit...and more importantly...so does my wife.
on March 11, 2010
If you're thinking about buying the AVN4430, there is something very important you should know...

The AVN4430 WILL NOT play an iPod on start-up. I learned this the hard way by fruitlessly reading the instructions, playing with the options and multiple e-mails back and forth from Eclipse tech support, only to find out that this is the way it's designed. Once everything is installed and you turn on your car, it will play your AM/FM radio. It takes 30-60 seconds for the AVN4430 to detect and scan your iPod. Then you have to manually change the input from radio to iPod, and by this point you're probably already driving. I feel this setup is incredibly frustrating because I only listen to my iPod. I hardly ever listen to the radio. I have an Alpine iDA-X100 in my other car and it always plays my iPod (or whatever input I was listening to) right away, within 5 seconds of starting my car. I don't understand why Eclipse didn't design their stereos the same way.

I wish I would have know the AVN4430 was setup like this before I bought it, because I definitely would have gone with another company. This will be the last Eclipse product I buy.