Top positive review
4 people found this helpful
on April 4, 2014
It is rare for me to read a book that I agree with wholeheartedly. "Economic Warfare: Secrets of Wealth Creation in the Age of Welfare Politics" by Ziad Abdelnour is an exception to the rule. This book is a primer for those wanting to know more about the confluence between economics and politics.
As a Wall Street Insider and a true Machiavellian, Mr. Abdelnour’s premise in Economic Warfare is fascinating. The premise is not how does society treat the poor, but how does it treat the most successful. Though not mentioned specifically in the book, Occupy Wall Street is a prime example. The slogan for that particular movement is, “We are the 99%,” implying the other 1% have an inordinate concentration of income and wealth, and are vile and evil money grubbers. You could almost rewrite the book’s premise as, it’s not how does society treat the 99%, but how does it treat the 1%.
What I liked best in the book is Mr. Abdelnour’s solid grasp on American history. If you are a history buff as I am, you will appreciate his historical analysis of the Founding Fathers. Ziad’s extended account of Alexander Hamilton taught me about mercantilism, and more importantly, Hamilton’s principle of perpetual debt, ultimately resulting in the Federal Reserve System created in 1913. Too bad Thomas Jefferson agreed to support Hamilton’s central banking plan, resulting in the federal debt. Ziad calls it for what it really is, a Ponzi scheme. And that’s what I like about the author, he’s calls things the way they really are. And speaking of that, he goes after the nine most powerful financiers in America, boldly names them, and then recommends to the reader how to outsmart them.
Mr. Abdelnour’s goal for the reader is to make obscene wealth. He illustrates this by telling the story of Carlos Slim Helu (the world’s richest man), as well as Steve Jobs and others. They created a market where there was none. And that’s the key to great wealth. Ziad writes, “Great wealth is often created by the launching of great surprises.” When I read that, I immediately thought of Apple’s iPhone. What a “great surprise” that was, being able to go on the Internet on your cell phone!
To sum it up, Economic Warfare is all meat, no fluff. Well written, cogent, and concise, it is never boring. I am looking forward to reading Ziad’s next book.