4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, still has some errors.
This is a good textbook that really helped me gain a good understanding of monetary policy. It covers current topics such as inflation targeting, the Taylor principle, sterilized currency intervention and the zero lower bound. The book also covered supply and demand for investments and what factors cause supply and demand to increase and decrease.

I feel like I...
Published on September 2, 2012 by Roland Martinez

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not purchase Kindle version
This book is an image of the actual book. You cannot alter the font size, except page by page, meaning it resets to unreadably small each time you turn the page. It also 'broke' my Kindle, as it then took ten or screen touches to get the bottom menu back, allowing me to escape the nightmare. This is horrible, and I am next going to attempt to get a refund.
Published 9 months ago by D. R. Martz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, still has some errors., September 2, 2012
This review is from: Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets, 10th Edition (Hardcover)

I feel like I have a good grasp of what is going on currently inside the Fed. Bernanke is using inflation targeting and Mishkin is a proponent of the tactic. It also covered quantitative easing and the time preference theory of bond investment. I think I have a good grasp of the topic. Several chapters have appendices that are available for free online. Reading through those was an extra bonus when it came to test time.

The book did have a couple of errors. Sometimes it would be a slight grammar error or a slight math error. Sometimes it would say something that was completely the opposite of what it said in the next sentence. Fortunately there was enough content that I was able to work through these but to notice an error every 50 pages or so was grating. A book in its tenth edition should not have these issues.

Because I found this book to be a great supplement to my macroeconomic studies I'll rate it highly. For the crazy prices that publishers charge for textbooks, this book deserves another rundown from the editors.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not purchase Kindle version, May 2, 2014
D. R. Martz (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Economics Text, April 2, 2013
G. Bunker (Myrtle Beach, SC USA) - See all my reviews
I'm an economics major in college, and, having a particular interest in the Federal Reserve and the macroeconomy at large, I took a class called "Money and Banking"; this is the textbook for that class. I really like this text. It's somewhat simple for an economics textbook, but it explains things clearly and pretty completely. It's really interesting, and I definitely recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Technical, July 13, 2014
Very technically written. Difficult for a dummie like me to read. For economic/ financial minded people. Was not very helpful for my money and banking course at Oklahoma state university.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 5, 2014
Fast shipment of the right book, right edition for my college student!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, February 28, 2013
From all of my textbooks over the years, this may be my favorite one! I really enjoy this wording/phrasing of everything, and the authors do a great job at explaining everything well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not insightful, December 6, 2013
Watch the "inside Job" to see Mishkin not being able to answer even the simplest economics questions posed to him. I enthusiastically bought his book after reading good reviews. I did not find his presentation of the material particularly insightful and was impartial to the book. However, after watching him on Inside Job, I felt really sorry for every dollar I spent on this book.
Example: right before the 2008 financial crisis hits many countries, he writes a report praising the strength of financial institutions of Iceland. It turns out he was paid $124,000 to write that report, which he never discloses. When he is asked how he arrived at the conclusion of Iceland's financial strength, all he says is "i was told so".
This is not the kind os scientist that should be shaping the economics science. I do not have anything to learn from him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, January 9, 2014
This was for class it worked great.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 28, 2014
Too much verbiage not enough concrete proof to back it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Econcomics of Money, Banking and Financial Markets, April 23, 2012
Excellent book that is written in a clear and concise manner. The book contains updated topics explaining the causes of the recent financial crises.

Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets, 10th Edition
Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets, 10th Edition by Frederic S. Mishkin (Hardcover - January 16, 2012)
$257.60 $199.17