Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 13, 2004
In response the previous negative review of Colander's book, I must say the text is one of my favorite texts of a long academic journey. I have an MBA (where I first used the Colander text as a refresher) and am completing an MA in Econ this semester and have often referred to the earlier edition that I own.
As one advances in economics, it may prove beneficial from time to time to go back to the basics, which is what this text is - an introduction to eocnomic reasoning utilizing an unbiased treatment of differing and competing economic theories. There is simply no way any professional economist would call this text advanced! While Colander may address a broad scope of subjects within the field of economics, he does so in a manner consistent with an introductory treatment. One does not even have to use math if preferred.
His conversational style may not be for everyone, but it worked well for me. It's not often that I have laughed out loud reading an Econ text, but I did with this book. I found it to be a refreshing and entertaining treatment of an otherwise dry subject. By the way, I have no affiliation to the publisher or author, which was a concern of the previous negative reviewer. For anyone considering the purchase, or even classroom use of this text, I'd be happy to provide more detail as to why I appreciate Colander's text - just e-mail me at timbuktu66@yahoo.com. In the end, the highest praise I can give any textbook author is to say that it fostered a desire to learn more about that subject. I am a graduate student in Econ today thanks to Colander's text and the professor who steered my toward reading it.
on March 13, 2012
Very thorough, yet accessible, economics text. It can be long winded at times, but this is to be expected in an economics textbook--no one is going to take it seriously if it's under 1000 pages. For an introductory text, the more complicated concepts (those with three or four accompanying graphs) should have been broken down in a simpler manner--but I hear that isn't how you sell text books. Maybe he should include video content for the hairy stuff (my classes were online with no lectures). Perhaps more students would be interested in economics if they weren't on the verge of crying when they study some of this stuff.

UPDATE: I *really* learned economics by listening to and watching Sowell and Friedman on YouTube. Good videos of a young, snotty Michael Moore--as a college student--attacking Friedman, priceless.
on March 11, 2000
By far one of the best textbooks I've ever used, and certainly one of the best economics books on the market. Colander's down to earth, sometimes conversational writing style presents many involved and sometimes complicated topics in a manner that makes them easy to grasp. This text is a must for any economics student. Teachers and professors should also seriously consider using this text in their classrooms.
on June 21, 2010
David Colander's Economics textbook is clearly written and has a fair amount of humor in it. It covers both advanced placement level (introductory college level) microeconomics and macroeconomics extremely well. His explanations of the Bretton Woods System, supply-side economics, and the effects of monetary and fiscal policy on exchange rates and trade are the best I have read in any college textbook, and this is just to name a few. In my opinion Economics by David Colander is the best introductory level college economics textbook on the market today.

Brian LeTourneau, Economics Teacher, Olympia High School, Olympia, WA
on October 25, 2010
This textbook is superbly written! Though I haven't read through Colander's newer versions of this principles of economics textbook, I am sure they are still excellent based on my experience with this book. I took Principles of Economics when I was considering to be an economics major, and we were assigned this edition. At first, I didn't read it, the subject intimidated me, and I was doing poorly on assignments and exams. But once I started reading the text, I ended up reading it basically from cover to cover (I don't think we had to, though) and LOVING economics. It made me think more critically about consumer and producer decisions and their impact, and I was able to explain the material so much better. I went from having a C/D range in the class during midterms to passing with a solid A by finals time. Hence I ended up being an economics major.

Colander's writing is very clear, and he uses good examples ordinary college students can understand. He can be a bit silly sometimes, but his amusing side probably kept me interested in reading the text through the long hours of the night. The workbook, Study Guide t/a Economics, is also very good. It follows the textbook pretty well and gives you a good sense of confidence when you're practicing for an upcoming exam.

If you can't afford the newest edition of whatever textbook your professor assigned you to read, but you still need a book to follow the class and study, consider getting this book (and/or the study guide that matches it, also from Colander). You can always borrow a friend's textbook when you need the newest edition for an assignment or something.
on January 6, 2014
I used this book for a review class before starting core MBA classes. It provides a great overview of all the basic Economics concepts. The book is very easy to read and clearly explains some of the more complex topics. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is that it is a little wordy in places. Overall, I would recommend this book for someone looking to learn undergraduate-level micro and macroeconomics.
on May 8, 2006
I just finished my introductory economics course with this book, and I found it easy to understand, and sometimes fun to read.

Other students I know also liked this book.

Sometimes quite wordy, but if you're already at the level to read this, I think you'd know how to skip them.
on July 30, 2009
This book is extremely well-written and easy to understand for the beginning economics student. The author writes in a casual style and you can tell he really wants students to understand the concepts and theories behind micro- & macroeconomics. I would highly recommend it.
on September 10, 2010
Very impressed with this book. Colander explains economic concepts in a way that is easily understood. Colander uses his wit throughout the textbook and is anything but dry. You would be very lucky to use this text in your Micro/Macro Econ course.
on October 28, 2005
I used this book for an MBA economics class I taught last year and my students really liked it. It received much more positive reviews than the one I used the year before.