5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible
When I was in first grade, I had an art teacher who tried to show us how to draw using circles, lines, perspective, and so on, and I remember distinctly the experience of knowing that I could draw circles (and to an extent, straight lines) but there was no way I could put them together in a way that would look anything like the teacher's work.
This book was my...
Published on November 27, 2000 by Blake Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars drawing
I thought it was fine. But my 9 and 7 year old grand daughters weren't impressed. I bought it for them.
Published 1 month ago by James Plaisted

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, November 27, 2000
This book was my salvation. Within these pages you'll find instructions on how to draw all kinds of creatures, from the lowly ant to an elaborate dragon, all by adding easy shapes (traingles, circles, linnes) one-at-a-time.
There is considerable truth in this book (and the author's others, which I unfortunately didn't discover until recently). How simplicity can communicate. How you can tackle something big by working in small steps. How you can make something you imagine come to like.
To this day I can take pleasure in drawing pictures, even though they're simple and I've never taken an art class since first grade, and I attribute a lot of that joy to this book. And nothing compares to giving a frustrated five-year-old an Emberly book and watching his face light up as he realizes that maybe he can make his drawings more than just scribbles.
This book (and the others) cannot be recommend too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!! The best 'get you started' book!, January 29, 2006
C. J. Carter (Sierra Madre, California, United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a fantastic gift for a child - or, indeed, anyone who struggles to get started on the road to drawing animals. Emberley takes elementary shapes and shows you how to put them together, step by step, to create stylised but character-filled drawings of animals. His selection is eclectic and the little drawings are great: giraffes, porcupines, raccoons, wolves, dogs, cats, lions, tigers...!

It'll kick-start a budding artist, break the 'I can't draw anything' mood everyone sometimes finds themseleves in, and is a valuable tool to get kids over the initial inability to draw things that 'look good'.

I love it. I use it every now and then when I need to 'get the gist' of an animal I am trying to capture on paper. It's beautifully simple and effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars No matter what your age, this book will help you to draw., January 12, 1998
By A Customer
Ed Emberly's Drawing Book of Animals is a book that crosses age barriers. Whether you are a kindergarten student or an adult who has a phobia about drawing anything, with this book you can achieve success. I have used this book in my kindergarten classroom with great results. All my students thought they could draw anything and I found out by following the simple directions that I could too. I highly recommend this book as a gift to your young friends. Make it a complete gift with a pack of colored pens or pencils and a pad. Will keep them occupied for hours. It is good family fun for all to sit around the table and draw together. Even older kids quit feeling self conscious about their drawing and begin to enjoy creating a picture that looks like what they want it to look like. Now if you don't have any kids in mind don't let that stop you. If you know someone who does crafts, or needlework they will enjoy it too. Many ideas for decoration. Check out Ed Emberly's other titles too. Each book is based on the same principle of reducing all pictures into the basic shapes and lines we all can draw when we doodle. Ed makes your doodles into something else. Art!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Favorite!, January 19, 2001
By A Customer
My children love all the Ed Emberley books. They discovered one at our local library and then found several at their school library. By the looks of these well-used library books, many families have shared the joy of drawing with Ed and each other! He makes it so simple that my 5-year-old can readily render this art; I think Ed made these books remembering his love for art when he was about 5. My 9 year old and my 5 year old also enjoy these books; we are getting our own copies today!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of The Best!, February 23, 2006
Ed Emberley's book, Make A World, was a big part of my entertainment as a child while spending summers at the cabin. Now that I am a grandmother, I have purchased nearly all of his books, including 'Drawing Book of Animals' and have rediscovered the joy of being able to 'do it myself' right along with them! Having books such as this around the house goes a long way to encouraging kids to step away from the computer and the video games and to create something fun all by themselves. These books make a great gift when given with a doodle pad and a box of colored pencils. Tucked inside of a colorful totebag, they are ready to go anywhere! Keep it up, Ed!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book!, July 10, 1998
By A Customer
I remember owning and using this book constantly when I was a kid. I recently got it for my two young ones and now they are drawing all the time! They would get so frustrated when they couldn't make something look like it was supposed to, but with this book it is easy and teaches them about using basic shapes to draw anything. It is so easy to follow, my two are both five and are doing great! Looking forward to getting some more of his books for my kids to use and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most memorable book I owned as a child!, September 29, 1998
By A Customer
My mother ordered this book for me a long time ago when I was a child- and to this day it remains in my memory as one of the most valuable books of my childhood. The techniques are simple and easy- step-by-step basic geometric shapes are assembled to create all kinds of animals, reptiles, birds and even a dragon! I am thrilled to discover it is still in print! I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to learn to draw without a lot frustration and complicated ideas. (It is geared for children, but I think adults could use these techniques too).

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun!, July 22, 2000
ADP (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
This book is a lot of fun for kids (and, I imagine, kids and their parents)--I remember it well from my childhood. The Emberley books use about two dozen simple shapes (dots, lines, right and equilateral triangles, and so on) to draw a wide variety of animals, vehicles, monsters, and any number of other things. The drawings are demonstrated step by step, with witty twists and variations. One strong suggestion: the drawings come out a lot better if you use colored pencils, since the demonstration drawings in the books are printed in color.

5.0 out of 5 stars great teaching tool, March 2, 2006
H. Quick (in the heart of the Heartland) - See all my reviews
This book is a great way to teach early elementary students a way to make basic (or not so basic) animals. Does not overwhelm them. Perfect for those of us without an art degree.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from my past, September 30, 2005
I loved this book when I was a kid, and when my mom found my mangled copy, I was so excited to pass it along to my children. My son (5) loved the step by step directions, and was able use them to build confidence.

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals by Ed Emberley (Paperback - April 5, 2006)
$7.00 $3.96