5.0 out of 5 stars Ed Sheeran's '+' is magic!
Published on November 30, 2011 by Technospaz

2.0 out of 5 stars Turns out I am not a fan of Ed Sheeran
I liked a few of his singles, but I couldn't even finish this album I hated it so much! I believe he is a bit too poppy for my taste and I can't get over his accent sometimes.
Published 5 months ago by Elizabeth Drake

5.0 out of 5 stars Ed Sheeran's '+' is magic!, November 30, 2011
This review is from: Plus (Audio CD)
I stumbled upon Ed Sheeran when they played The A Team on radio, and I've been hooked since. There's a rhythm in his music, candidness in his lyrics and a depth in his voice which are rare in today's music. If you like Jason Mraz or Howie Day (more the former), you'll likely enjoy Ed Sheeran's music. For a debut album, + is simply awesome. I enjoyed almost all the tracks and even the ones which didn't quite appeal to me, I still found pretty decent. Overall, I'd say that Ed Sheeran's the real deal. Unlike other new artists (of which there are many), I believe Ed, like his music, is here to stay! I can't wait for what else this talented artist has to offer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising debut album, and even better in concert, June 12, 2012
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
I happened to see Ed Sheeran performing on TV at the Brits Awards (where he won several awards, if I recall) in February, and really liked what I saw. I finally picked up the album the other day when I saw him live here in Cincinnati (more on that later). Sheeran had released a number of singles with great acclaim in the UK before this album came out last Fall in the UK.

"+" (13 tracks; 50 min.) brings Ed Sheeran's best output from those multiple pre-album singles, and a number of new tracks. When the opening track "The A Team" comes on, the immediate reaction is that this reminds me of "Damien Rice meets James Blake", and indeed a number of tracks on here are in that very same vein. But on a number of other tracks, Sheeran expands into further territory, even rapping ("Grade B" and "Lego House" among others). Other highlights include the UK singles "You Need Me, I Don't Need You" (with more rapping) and the last official track on here, the epic "Give Me Love" (it is followed by an uncredited track to close things out). This is an enjoyable debut album for sure.

At the Cincinnati show, Sheeran put on a blazing 35 min. solo-act (opening for Snow Patrol), where he worked with loops and creating a one-man band wall of sound, just incredible. He started with an amazing 10 min. version of "Give Me Love", inciting a crowd sing-along (mind you, this is the FIRST song of his set!), and doing it again on "You Need Me, I Don't Need You", just wow. If you have a chance to catch Ed Sheeran on tour, do not miss it! Meanwhile "+" is a promising debut album, sure to end up on my year-end list of the "best of" this year's albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new singer/songwriter, March 7, 2014
This review is from: + (Bonus Tracks) (MP3 Music)
Ed Sheerhan got my attention when he wrote and performed the closing song for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. The song was very moving and I just had to find out if he had done any other work. I was delighted to find he had just recently put this collection out. For a young 23 year old, his talent is very impressive. He hasn't been influenced yet by pop-culture and his work is original. I look forward to his future recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fave songs, March 22, 2013
This review is from: + (Bonus Tracks) (MP3 Music)
I love Lego House, and Sunburn (which kind of reminds me of Tracy Chapman's Fast Car). Great variety on this album, so glad I bought it. Easily several favorites on it - the sound is one that is hard to get sick of ... a chronic problem with CD's even from great artists .. you get sick of their sound by track 11. Not here.
My husband really likes Grade 8. My 2 year-old twins like to rock out to the song as well. (Another reason this deserves 5*'s... they are so cute when they dance!)
Thanks Ed.

5.0 out of 5 stars ed sheeran + is awesome, October 26, 2011
This review is from: Plus (Audio CD)
I was very pleased with my selection of Ed Sheeran's + cd. At first I was a little disappointed in all the slow ballads, but the more I listened to the cd, the more I really began to appreciate this talented young and upcoming star's style. Now, I love this cd and would not change a single thing. I cannot get enough of listening to it!! I highly recommend it if you are a fan of Jason Mratz, Bruno Mars, Adele, and similar styles of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Perfection!, June 15, 2012
This review is from: + (Bonus Tracks) (MP3 Music)
I have been enraptured with Ed Sheeran's music for about a year now and I have been waiting anxiously for this album to comes to the States and immediately purchased it as soon as it was available. At first I was afraid that I built his album up in my head due to my excitement but after listening to it several times, I can safely say that "+" is truly an incredible work of art!

There is a healthy mix of ballads and faster songs, so you never feel like the album is too slow or too fast and there is a wonderful simplicity to how he forms his music and builds it up with his lyrics and beats. I really appreciate the lyrical content and the meanings behind all of his songs.

I cannot recommend this album enough to everyone, please if you're not sure about it just take a small leap of faith and buy it, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ed Sheeran, January 24, 2014
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
I was thoroughly impressed with "A Team", but I hadn't thought about searching for other songs by this artist...until I was about to get out of my seat after viewing "The Desolation of Smaug". I heard a voice that caused me to stay put long enough to watch the credits roll so I could see who was singing. Sure enough, it was Ed Sheeran. What a voice; what a talent!

Bought this album for myself, and gifted it to two others. Fantastic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars OneManBand, May 7, 2014
One Man Band
I had long been a fan of Ed Sheeran and simply could not wait until the concert on Valentine’s Day of 2013. I bought my $20 tickets and waited in line to the small, local amphitheater. As I entered, I looked around for the best seat possible.
The location, Mesa Amphitheater, was an intimate size where the audience could feel as though they were right next to the performer, even if your seat was in the back. It is an outdoor amphitheater so as you watch your act there is green grass at your feet and shining stars up above. At some concert locations I feel bombarded by the smell of numerous objects whether it be food, drink, or questionable substances. In Mesa Amphitheater I wasn’t overwhelmed by the variety of scents and could concentrate on who I paid money to see. Throughout the concert I felt a connection with Ed Sheeran that I may not have in a large arena. For one of Ed’s songs, Small Bump, he asked the arena to be silent and the volume immediately fell. Of course, there is always that one girl who screams her love out to the performer during times like these, but after everyone shush-ed her, the arena was so silent that you could literally hear crickets.
The opening group, Rizzle Kicks, was high energy. They are a Hip-Hop group from Europe who I had never heard of before this concert. These young men were energetic and fun, dancing on stage as they rapped. I knew none of their songs but I could not resist dancing and singing along. Their funny and light hearted personalities radiated off of them, quickly spreading into the members of the audience. There was a song during Ed’s set where he pulled them back on stage and performed with them and that was amazing to see. They blended the sound of Hip-Hop with the style of Singer Songwriter, mixing guitar riffs with the quick passed verses.
Ed Sheeran is a rare musical talent. He has a voice that sounds just as incredible live as it does on recordings. His performance was not over the top; he did not have fireworks or any outrageous special effects. He just stood on stage with his guitar and played the songs I knew so well. His guitar was hooked up to the screen behind him in such a way that his playing changed what was on it. During his quicker songs more movement would be on the screen and during the slower ones it would be smooth. The fact that his concert was so minimal and still kept my attention shows that he is a raw talent.
Most musicians sound, frankly, worse live than they do recorded; this was 100% false for Ed Sheeran. His voice was even better live than it was recorded and he mixed up a few of his songs to give them a unique feel. My favorite song he performed was You Need Me, I Don’t Need You. This song was the last in the show and, to me, it was the most impactful. He transformed this 4 minute song into a 10 minute song by adding guitar solos and encouraging the audience to sing along with him. The guitar was stronger on stage when compared to the recordings. The recordings focused on Ed’s voice but in the performance it was showcasing his all-around musical talent.
This show, though full of young adult fan-girls, is not limited to any age group or gender. I took my boyfriend to the show and he had a wonderful time. Ed Sheeran draws a unique and diverse crowd and I do not recall any of them regretting their decision to come and see him. Usually when you go to a concert there is one kind of personality seen in all of the audience; whether it be the Scottsdale-teen as seen at Taylor Swift concerts or the envelope-pushing fans seen at Lady Gaga concerts. At Ed Sheeran’s concert everyone was different but somehow fit together. The crowd was entertaining and often reflected my own excitement.
I give this concert 5 out of 5 stars because it was so captivating. From the second the show started I could not look away, I had to take in every single second. Even as the concert concluded I was watching, hoping and praying that he would come back on stage and sing just one more song.

2.0 out of 5 stars Turns out I am not a fan of Ed Sheeran, April 2, 2014
This review is from: + (MP3 Music)

2.0 out of 5 stars hipo hop junk, April 1, 2014
T. R. Kirby (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: + (Audio CD)
I LOVE 'Songs I wrote With Amy', but this record is a piece of commercial crap. I hate to see someone of his ability waste it on this tripe.

+ by Ed Sheeran