Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 7, 2007
First let me say that I work with children, so I do know something about fitting car seats. We wanted to get our newborn a really nice car seat and, since I like Eddie Bauer stuff this seemed great. I also really like the idea that it can stay rear facing for so long and is the only car seat that one ever needs, or so I thought. I still really hope that it will work when he is older and can face forward.

Cons (fitting in car): (1) In the rear facing position it is huge. It just fit into my Subaru if the front seats were all the way forward (good thing I am short). Even in my parent's Envoy the front seats were uncomfortably far forward. It was tempting to put it behind the passenger seat but the center is safest. So only get this as a rear facing seat if you have a huge vehicle. (2) In theory it is not hard to install but had one major design problem: In order to tighten the seat belt or LATCH belt you have to pull back the seat cover and then once the car seat is in place it takes very small, dexterous fingers to get it back on again. This also makes the cover very hard to remove for washing. (3) In order for the rear facing seat to be at the recommended angle the base required a lot of padding. The instructions recommended towels but I ended up with four folded towels which made it difficult to tighten and I still don't think that the line is quite level with the ground (our other car seat needed one small towel). I suspect that many people will end up the seat at the wrong angle because of this.

Cons (fitting to baby): (1) The crotch strap is very short so the buckle is between his legs instead of in front of his pubic bone and pushes into his thighs. (2) The infant insert only has one set of holes for the shoulder straps. He actually fit it quite well when he came home from the hospital (5lb 2oz) but had out grown it by the time he was a normal newborn size even though he could still have used the support. There is no recommendation as to when to use the insert even though if you try to use it with a larger infant it makes it almost impossible to tighten the harness enough which could put children at risk. (3) The seat has a lot of padding which seems good but it is not in the right places. Imagine sitting with a big pillow behind your lower back and another behind your head but nothing behind your shoulders or upper back. I have tried every adjustment that I can find but if the shoulder straps are in the right place (level with the shoulders) and the harness tight enough (one finger fits underneath) that is how my baby looks. I even tried calling the 1-800 number for suggestions but was told that all babies are shaped differently and some just fit better in some car seats better than others (they did not have any suggestions as to what I could try that might help).

Pros: I still hope that the seat will work when my child is old enough to be front facing.
on May 13, 2007
I had absolutely no problems installing this car seat and my son LOVES it! The only thing I wish different about this car seat is the center base buckle... its a little short. It makes it a little harder to buckle the baby, but still manageable!
on January 24, 2008
Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3 in 1 Convertible Car Seat Bryant Collection

We got this car seat for our daughter when she was about 6 months old. We loved the fact that it was the only car seat she'd need.

Putting it in the car rear facing was a pain, we had to take the base off and put towels up under the front of it to make it level. It took up a huge amount of space in our Ford Taurus.

When she'd fall asleep her head would fall completely forward, and she didn't look very comfortable at all. She was a pretty small 6 month old, so this might have something to do with it. I don't recommend it for rear facing small children.

Once she got to be a year and we turned it around to forward facing it is amazing! I love it. We have no problems installing it with the latch or the seat belt, and there is plenty of space in the car. She is very comfortable, her head doesn't fall forward when she is asleep and I love that it is high enough that she can see outside.

Over all I would say this car seat is great for bigger babies, especially forward facing, but not so great for rear facing infants.
on July 2, 2014
I purchased this seat because it was reasonably priced, the recline feature was easy to use, and I liked the ease of adjusting the harness height. It also seemed that the seat would grow well with my child. However, when I installed it in the car I realized this seat would not work for us. Our intent is to use this rear facing first, as our baby is 8 months old. I had to stuff a towel under the base to attempt to bring the seat to the correct angle, which then the seat did not feel secure. I tightened the restraints but still could not get it secure. The first of our vehicles I attempted this seat in was our 2010 Ford Focus 2 DR Coupe. Our smallest vehicle. I think the seat would work in this car as forward facing, however we won't get there for a couple years. In addition to the wobbly install, the seat reclined stuck out about 38 inches from the backseat, which forced the two front seats of the car practically up to the dash. The seat itself is tall with no way to adjust it as in some other models with a shorter shell. The height of the seat and angle of recline just made it impossible in our car. Long story short, returned the seat.
on April 12, 2013
I felt I should review this seat since we've owned it for 4 years. My daughter is 5 and has been in this seat since she was able to be forward-facing, at about 14 months old. I can't say anything about using this as rear-facing, since we never did, but as a forward facing seat, this is great. It looks good, stays cool in the heat and warm in the winter, and I love that it will grow with my daughter into a booster seat (using the seat belt) when she's big enough. We are currently still using the 5-point harness as she's still under the 40 lb booster requirement for this seat. I am extremely inept when it comes to figuring out how to put car seats into a vehicle, but this one is easy; I have removed it and put it back in quite a few times, and have never had a problem with getting it in correctly and tightly. As for the people complaining that it is too big, I have used this in the middle seat position of our Nissan Altima, passenger side of the Altima, and in our current vehicle a Dodge Caravan, with absolutely no problem whatsoever. In fact, in the Altima we used this car seat and another toddler car seat in the back, and someone was still able to fit in between. So we have never had a problem with the size.

The ONLY reason I didn't give it a full 5-star rating is because the harness belts on it always seems to get turned around and twisted. I have two other daughters, who each have different car seats, and their belts never seem to get as twisted as this car seat's belts do. Other than that, this is an excellent seat- safe, great looking, excellent price, and long-lasting!
on August 12, 2007
Well, I have mixed feelings on this product. I will tell you from the time I got this product til now. I my son was approaching the point of out growing his infant seat. I looked everywhere and found this product. I love Eddie Bauer products so I thought this would be perfect. Well... It was delivered, I opened the box and was so excited because it was such a pretty fashionable car seat. Then we went to install it. This is when all the happiness drained. This car seat was almost impossible to install. It was awful. It took forever and the instructions don't really help very much. But, we did finally get it installed and My son loved getting in it for the first time. While he is awake it is a great car seat. Since he is rear facing still he can see better and look out the windows better. I love it while he is awake. Now when he is asleep it is a different story. The seat is in the fully reclined position and his head still falls forward. I hate that part. I am driving so I can't help him. I know that can not be good for his neck. Even when I ride in the back with him I have to hold his little head up when he falls asleep. I am hoping it won't be like that when he gets to turn around and face the front. So, you can see there are pros and cons. So if you were to ask me if I would purchase this product again. I would say yes but, Only when my son was ready to face forward and hope that when he falls asleep it doesn't make his head to go forward because other than that it is a great car seat. If you do purchase this be prepared for a lot of frustration on the installation and to spend a lot of time. Also don't think about moving it from one car to another. once you get it in you will see you won't want to move it til you have to.
on November 4, 2008
I purchased this car seat for my car for my granddaughter. I read the reviews, I comparison shopped and thought I had gotten a great buy. My great buy was not as great as I thought. I experienced a very difficult time installing this car seat into my 2007 Honda Civic. No matter what I did, I could not get the car seat installed securely. I used the latch system and followed the directions to the letter. My daughter had installed her Britax with no problem. I ended up making an appointment with the State Police and they installed it properly and securely. The trooper was not very happy when I told him the make of the car seat I had purchased. He told me I should have invested the extra money and purchased a Britax. My recommendation is this: If it doesn't install in your vehicle easily and properly, return it !
on June 17, 2008
We have had this seat for several months already and I would not recommend buying it. It seems quite comfortable for our son (we used it only in forward-facing position), but a major problem with the seat is that it cannot be reclined when properly installed. There is a special community service in Maryland, they check whether a child seat is properly installed or not. So we went there and it turned out that when the seat is tightly secured, as it needs be, it cannot be reclined.
on February 11, 2008
This is a really nice car seat and my 8 month old seems to really like it. The installations were a little vague however. We use the latch system and the way the directions said how to install it, there was no way to get the seat tightly installed. I finally figured out on my own to thread the system through the seat, under the padding, which was not easy to do, but it was the only way to get the system tightenend. Other than that, it is a nice seat!
on May 2, 2008
It is a comfortable seat, very well designed, soft and functional. My baby takes her snap easily when we put her on it.

As with other seats, you have to level it after installation using an object above of the front area (...) I don't know why this happens with "all" these seats.

The adjustable headrest lets you change the height of the back at the same time the baby grows. It is a very convenient thing.

The recline feature helps you on long trips to have the baby in a good position for sleep.

We are very satisfied with the product.