Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eden
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

• Eden
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 28, 2000
I, like many, discovered Sarah through Phantom. After she left the show, I followed her solo efforts. From "Dive" on, she has made some very interesting choices during her solo career. Every one knows of her breakthrough smash, "Time to Say Goodbye" with Andrea Bocelli. The album with the same name was also very special for Sarah fans. We finally heard her go back to the heights of her voice that so wooed us in Phantom. As good as "Time" is however, "Eden" is better. If you are looking for an album that truly showcases Sarah and her magnificant instrument, that clear soprano, buy "Eden".
"Eden" is a journey into a wonderous world of beautiful music. Frank Patterson, her producer, understand how to blend Sarah unique styles into a collage of beauty. From the very beginning of the cd, Sarah begins to draw you into her world. Her "Eden". From the covers of some popular artist, Hooverphonic and Kansas, to the use of opera in Puccini, Sarah shows you why she is one of the finest sopranos in music today. My personal favorites on the cd are "Lascia Ch'lo Pianga" and "Deliver Me." Also, she gives great "girl power" to "Nessun Dorma" a song made for tenors. The only curious selection on the cd is her rendition of "My Heart Will Go On" in italian. However, that is the only weak point on the entire album. The duet with Richard Marx is another very fine high point, added only to the US version of the cd.
If you are just starting out with Brightman, buy this cd first. It is a better feel of her. She shows you more of her "pop" side, but that side of her in no way takes away from her operatic appeal. "Time to Say Goodbye" should be included in your purchase of Sarah, but if you are going one at a time, get this one first.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 1999
BRAVO! Sarah Brightman has done it again! "Eden" is a terrific CD with songs of different genres like classical, pop and so on. The first track "In Paradisum" sounds like a Gregorain Chant and with the background music (sitar and orchestra) Sarah Brightman sounds refreshing and beautiful. The song "Eden" is somehow pop-like and it has some kind of chanting in its background... This clearly shows Sarah's ability to sing pop music. Beside singing original songs written for her, she also sing cover version of "Dust In The Wind" (Kansas) and "My Heart Will Go On" (Celine Dion). Another of my favourite is Track 15. And that's "Nessun Dorma" by famous italian composer Puccini. "The Last Word You Said" is also another wonderful song. It starts off with the beautiful sound of an oboe and it continues with the clear and touching voice of Sarah Brightman and I suppose this song is the most romantic song of all the songs in this CD. All in all this is a great CD and it will be a great loss if you don't buy it. To end my review I would like to say SARAH IS THE BEST! :-)
VINE VOICEon January 8, 2002
The variety of songs here is probably the most attractive feature of the CD for those who appreciate Sarah Brightman's ethereal, angelic voice. And it's probably the least attractive feature for those whose musical enjoyment is sharply concentrated on one type of music. In describing her voice on this record as ethereal and angelic, I want to comment on one reviewer's comparing her with Enya. Indeed, this is a valid comparison. And yet the two are each very distinctive. You do hear the similarity on this album and on "La Luna".
I feel that Ms. Brightman expresses a quality of love for each of the songs she sings. This is evident even in this case where there is such diversity of material. Each of us has favorite cuts. Mine are: Puccini's "Nessum Dorma", Kansas' "Dust In The Wind", "So Many Things", "Eden" Morricone's "Nella Fantasia", "Only an Ocean Away" and the fittingly placed "The Last Words You Said." Also quite notable are "Deliver Me", the song that first attracted me to Sarah Brightman when I heard it on a "Pure Moods" album, and also the Titanic theme with Italian lyrics. Some object to her singing songs with non-English lyrics, although for me this is part of the charm of her CD's. One becomes more involved with the beauty of the song when not distracted by the lyrics. Well, this one does anyway.
I gave the few one and two star reviews a close look for a clue to exactly who might not like this album as I do. There are purists who believe they know better than the singer as to how the song should be sung, and those would not enjoy this album. Those with less eclectic tastes and those annoyed by songs where you might not understand the foreign words would undoubtedly be annoyed by this CD. I did note that one negative review wasn't about this CD at all, but of a concert...Others listened only once to this CD and decided they didn't like it, a common mistake. I'd be missing many of my now favorite CD's had I never listened to them several times. I do hope that the one reviewer who said he was throwing his copy into the trash was joking. There are too many people who would gain much pleasure from this CD for some thoughtless person to throw it out. But to each his own.
on August 24, 1999
There comes a time, once maybe every 5 years or so, an artist creates an album where every song is perfectly performed, perfectly sung. To change even the slightest detail...the slightest note, would be the worst thing that could happen to this album. I've listened to this CD over & over and become more impressed with it every time. This album, Sarah Brightman's Eden, is the epitomy of what beautiful music should be. Her voice is flawless, almost angelic. She especially stands out in the album's opening. In Paradisium opens this album with Sarah Brightman beautifully, emotionally, grabbing the heart of the listener from the get-go. It does not let up there! It's a shame this CD had to end, but you can always press play once again! My favorites are Scene D'Amour, Dust in the Wind, Il Lio Cuore, and the title track, Eden. Thank you Sarah Brightman, for showing us what beautiful music is once again!! Don't miss this one! If you have this CD, you already know, if you don't, please don't go another day without hearing it.
After several good but not outstanding pop albums, Sarah Brightman hit her stride in the expansive, sensuous "Eden," a lush collection of ethereal songs that seem almost otherworldly. Brightman's beautiful voice and excellent choice of songs make this a near-perfect pop album, as deep and rich as fine velvet.

It opens with synth waves and jungle sounds in "In Paradisum," followed by a dramatic male choir in a warm, lush cover of Hooverphonic's "Eden." A slightly more acoustic sound enters with the gentle "So Many Things" and guitar-led "Dust in the Wind." Then she swerves into more operatic territory with the stirring "Il Mio Cuore Va" (an Italian cover of "My Heart Will Go On").

The album peaks with the aching tenderness of "Only An Ocean Away," a dramatic song about distance between lovers, and the stirring plea of "Deliver Me" with its chorus of rich voices repeating the title line. Then Brightman ends on a high note (no pun intended) with the musically spare, gauzy love ballad "The Last Words You Said."

Very few albums like "Eden" are made -- it draws its listeners in through intrigue and beauty rather than any obvious ploys for attention. It's hard to imagine just how it could be better than it is -- a few tweaks here and there, but no song feels out of place or superfluous. Whether she's reworking covers or dipping into Puccini, the music sounds flawless and uniform.

Brightman's vocals are usually high and sweet here, lending a fragile edge to the majestic music. In songs like "Lascia Ch'io Pianga," she gets to show a bit more of her range, with her voice becoming richly operatic. And she gets to really soar when she sings deeply emotional songs, belting out "There's an ocean between us/you know where to find me... more than a lifetime/still goes on forever/but it helps to remember/you're only an ocean away..."

The musical arrangements that accompany her are nothing short of epic -- orchestral strings that serve as a backdrop for her voice, solid drums, and even some pleasant acoustic guitar here and there. Even a few sound samples like thunder and jungles. Harkening back to her "Fly" and "Dive" days, Brightman also uses bits and pieces of electronica, adding texture to the sweeping string arrangements.

Sarah Brightman found her niche in the magnificent "Eden," a richly sensuous album full of romance, sorrow and unrestrained beauty. Definitely a must-have for fans of beautiful music.
on December 2, 1999
I just got hooked on Sarah Brightman's great voice a little while ago when I saw her on TV. I wanted the CD "Time to Say Goodbye", but I couldn't find it, so I bought this one. I do not regret it. The music is really soothing, romantic at times, poetic. I cannot recommend this CD enough.
Sarah Brightman has the most beautiful voice. All of the songs are great, something uncommon, I might add. Her interpretation of "Il mio cuore va" is, in my humble opinion, much better than Celine Dion's. I'd like to point out, though, that the song "Tu" says a bunch of nonsense. In one part it says "you hug me with your feet and I lick the arnes(?)" and "You, mounted(montadA!) on me". The song is beautiful, but it makes me wonder if the rest of the songs in Italian, etc. also say nothing but nonsense. "Tu" barely makes any sense. I wonder if Sarah has any idea of what she's singing.
Anyway, you will certainly enjoy this if you're not too concerned about such trivialities. ^_^; No matter what kind of music you like, this CD will be one of your favorites. Sarah Brightman's voice is so captivating that she'll have you buying even more of her albums in no time!
on July 25, 2003
Sarah Brightman has a voice with which you can find yourself lifted to joy or brought to tears. I listened to this cd with a friend who was totally unfamiliar with Sarah and she couldn't stop listening to it. "Deliver Me" is perhaps the most popular and best track while "Only An Ocean Away" is one very lyrically simplistic yet most moving songs on the cd. Overall a wonderful cd. I'd love to hear Sarah do a song with Delerium.
on August 7, 2001
The first time I was exposed to Sarah Brightman's work was when I was sixteen. I'm seventeen now and find it strange how but a year ago I couldn't bare to listen to "Eden," and how it made me cringe when she reached those high notes. But now, in fact, I do quite the opposite. I suppose being so young and so limited to what kind of music was presenting itself on mainstream radio that, in effect, it really blocked my ears to some amazing genres. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but the beautiful Ms. Brightman really did open many doors for me to discovering new, exciting music I didn't know existed until now. I used to generally listen to nothing but Alternative rock (which I still do), but now I've moved on to stretch my horizon of eclectic tastes. And "how" she did this, you ask? Because she's almost every genre in itself! I personally feel that "La Luna" showcases her diverse sense of sound better than "Eden," which is either pop or opera, but she's also very talented in creating other types of music such as rock (Fly), ethereal pop (Dive), pure opera and Broadway (The Andrew Loyde Webber Collection), and even jazz and new age, which is conveyed best on the songs "Gloomy Sunday" and "Scarborough Fair" from her "La Luna" Cd. What can I say? I am constantly amazed by her persistence of reinvention. It's always a surprise with her. You just never know what she's going to do next, and that suits me just fine. You never have to worry about her being redundant, dull or boring. Oh no... I personally feel that more opera singers should make the departure from same old aria after aria into the wonderful world of classical-crossover.
Now, true; in "Eden" Sarah uses her upper register more often than her normal voice, but--take this from a person who listens to heavy rock bands like Tool.... You don't have to be an opera-buff to live through this. It's like walking through "Paradisum" and ending up in "Eden."
"So Many Things" (the third track which she wrote herself) is a short, soft ballad about her divorce with ex-husband Andrew Loyde Webber. And entailing that is my all-time favorite: "Anytime, Anywhere," which mixes both classical vocals with pop. Then comes the first traditional piece: "Bailero" which is very soothing and sedating, almost making your eyes drift shut until a cover of Kansas's "Dust In The Wind" rocks you like a storm. (Now don't let ANYBODY convince you that this song is corny, because it's anything BUT that!) And.... well I'm not going to go through every song, but the gospel-like "Deliver Me" is a beautiful pop addition, and "Il Mio Cuore Va (My Heart Will Go On)" is just as lovely, if not more, than Celine's version. Some of my favorites, though, would have to be Un Jour Il Viendra, Only An Ocean Away--which is a heartfelt ballad--and Nessun Dorma, which was made for a tenors voice but, like magic, was sung by an angelic soprano known as Sarah Brightman. But rest assure. No matter what your musical tastes are like, almost anyone can squeeze a little Sarah in. That is until you're ready for more....
on October 30, 1999
ETHERIAL - - - SPIRITUAL - - - UPLIFTING - - SUBLIME - - - OTHER WORLDLY - - - THOUGHT PROVOKING - - - DREAMLIKE - - - MAGICAL ! This musical experience is one of the best albums I've ever purchased. It's wonderful! I do however agree with another Amazon customer/reviewer that the background music is a tad too overpowering. The engineering is not as good as it could or should be, I'm afraid. I still enjoy the album immensely though and would buy it again. I LOVE IT ! I can hardly get this music out of my head, (nor would I want to). Thank You Sarah Brightman, - - - for being you! If you're a "seeker or a thinker", I know you're going to appreciate this "vaporous" material. In some ways, it's a little like a canvas to "paint" your thoughts on. Words can hardly convey my praise for this work! This will be a tough act to follow up with, even for Sarah! (BUT PLEASE DO!)
on March 11, 2000
Eden is a wonderfully diverse work, encompassing a wide variety of styles, from pop to opera to even a bit of Gregorian chant. Brightman moves with ease between them, showing a gifted voice with a tremendous vocal range. While there are a couple of spots where she's overwhelmed by the orchestration, that's more a problem with how the tracks were mixed than lack of power. I'd love to see and hear this lady sing in concert on the stage. I loved this cd from start to finish. Her version of the theme from Titanic blows Celine Dion into the weeds. Other favorites of mine are In Paradisum and Nessun Dorma.