Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on March 20, 2005
I was in the restaurant equipment business for over 35 years and sold hundreds of comercial slicers such as Hobart, Globe etc. This is not a comercial machine but it thinks it is. It does a supurb job of slicing from paper thin to a thick slice of rye. I don't use it as often as I should, but it is relatively easy to clean and a great addition to any kitchen.
77 comments|443 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2005
Bought the Chefs Choice 610 food slicer, then saw the Waring FS150 (similar but a Professional model with larger motor) for $30 less an hour later. Bought that one also with intent to look up reviews online and decide at home. After reading reviews (great reviews for Chefs Choice, awful reviews for the Waring) and instruction manuals on both (still can't believe you can't run the Waring for more than 10 minutes at a time and the poor design for cleanup) decided to keep the Chefs Choice. Used it to slice roast beef, swiss cheese and baked turkey breast. Worked extremely well on all and the unit is extremely easy to use. Cleanup took about 5 minutes total. Unit is a little larger than I would have liked, but all the food slicers have similar dimensions. Well worth the extra $30.
44 comments|614 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2008
When I was growing up, we had an old hand cranck meat slicer. Every friday night me and my father and uncle 'and puppy who got scraps' would spend the evening hand slicing meats for sandwiches and suppers for the rest of the week.

Later in life I got really big into grinding, making and smoking my own sausages, meats, and stuff. My father passed down the old family hand crank meat slicer.

Wow, I remember how much work that was o_O

This lead me to purchase a good electric slicer. I used a few that were ok, some I bought and some I borrowed. They were flimsy and what not.

Then I came across this Chef's Choice 610 that my father bought for me as a gift ...

The first thing I noticed was its superiour design and construction. No flimsy sheet metal on this bad boy at all. Everything is nice and solid. A lot of craftsmanship went into the making of this thing. Even the slider table where you slide the meats across is one huge solid thick piece of metal, unlike all the thin single rail systems I used in the past.

Setting it, the slicing size adjuster is behind the back plate, which is a nice solid piece of metal as well. I like the adjustment on the back as to keep it out of the way. This is important when your spending some time slicing up homemade bacon you just cured and smoked.

The pusher is a nice food grade plastic that is very easy to clean.

Speaking of cleaning, I have to say this... This is the only slicer I have ever used in my entire life that is this easy to take about to clean. That is unless you get into the bigger tor-reys or hobarts, but then your talking almost a grand on up price wise.

The front has a big switch, middle for using, push right to lock in place when not in use, and push left to slide off for cleaning.

The adjustment knob on the back, set to 0 'zero' then one more click and the whole backing plate now can be slid off for cleaning.

Instead of finding a screw driver to dismantle the blade, just pop out the center lock and give a turn and the blade is now ready to take off.

Those three easy things and you have entire access for totally cleaning this amazing slicer.

I will say this, I do wish the center locking nut for the blade was built alittle more firm, because I can see where it can break easily. However, you only use it to take the blade off and put back on for cleaning or changing, nothing more, so theres no reason to constantly play with it; plus its still much nicer then the screw driver method. All one needs to do is when using the center blade locking nut is use it slowly and gently, and all will go fine.

But even with that one thing, this awsome slicer still gets a big 5 stars from me.

Some think the motor is to slow. I can say this from experiance with other slicers, unless you get up into the $500 - $1000 range, your not going to find a professional slicer with a turbo motor. However, the motor on this Chef's Choice 610 dosn't lag when slicing big loads such as a whole belly square bacon, unlike the many other slicers I used before which you can hear the motor start to jam up and slow down. The motor on this Chef's Choice 610 is VERY powerful, so don't let it fool you.

I honestly can't live with out this appliance, with what I do with meats. And very thankful to my father for this awsome gift who gets to eat all the results... But for anyone who isn't into making sausages and curing meats, you can save so much money buying bologna, salami, turkey loaf, ham loaf etc in bulk, taking home and slicing yourself. This slices up to 2 inch cuts if I remember correctly, anything thicker, just use an electric knife. And this cuts near paper thin deli quality as well.

Alittle trick that might help those who think this cant cut thin: toss your uncut meat in the freezer for about 10 minutes until slightly firm, NOT frozen. This keeps it firm and more managable to slice then when room temp, loose and flimsy. This way you can much more easily manage nice quality deli thin slices.

Enjoy, I know I am with this puppy! :)
55 comments|276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2004
I got my Chef Choice Model 610 food slicer a couple weeks before Christmas in anticipation of making my Christmas dinner prep easier. And what a nice addition this food slicer was. It is easy to set up, easy to use, has adequate safety features and cleans up in a jiffy. Because I wanted to use it for large ham slicing.... I did order the Ham Slicing Blade extra from the factory which cost about $30 which I used to slice my Christmas ham instead of the serrated blade that comes with the product.

This is an excellent slicer.
22 comments|244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2010
I have purchased and used both the Waring FS150 and the EdgeCraft/Chef's Choice 610 slicers, which are in the same price and quality range.

On one hand, the Waring FS150 is a fully functional slicer, and there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it. On the other hand, I fully agree with many reviews that it has some design flaws, and the Edgecraft/Chef's Choice 610 is definitely a superior product:

1. On the Edgecraft 610, the crumbs fall directly down onto a clear plastic tray that comes with the product. This is incredibly easy to remove and clean. On the Waring FS150, however, the crumbs fall sideways in 2 directions, and there's no easy way to clean it... you either have to use a sponge or a vacuum cleaner. By far, this is the major design flaw of this product.

2. On the Edgecraft 610, the device for adjusting the width is a fairly easy-to-turn dial, that expands all the way to a full 1". But on the Waring FS150, the device is a tough-to-turn knob that allows the width to expand to only about 0.5"... this is an issue if you are trying to get thick slices of bread or cake.

3. On the Edgecraft 610, the food tray slides back and forth on a clean surface, but on the Waring FS150, they use a wheel + a sleeve that slides along the bar. Functionally, both are satisfactory, but the Edgecraft permits the tray to be detached and cleaned, while the Waring is locked into position because of the sleeve/bar component.

4. Similarly, with respect to the backplate, the Edgecraft 610 has a feature allowing the backplate to be removed, but on the Waring FS150 is it bolted into position and cannot be removed for cleaning.

5. On the Edgecraft 610, practically the entire body is made out of aluminum, and the design is sleek and easy to wipe down. On the Waring FS150, there is a combination of plastic, steel, and aluminum, and the chunky surfaces are harder to clean. Note in particular the difference between the two when you examine the bottom portion of the slicer.

6. Perhaps the one potential relative positive on the Waring is that it is a smaller device... The Edgecraft 610 is about 10" wide, 15" long, and 11" high, while the Waring FS150 is smaller at 9" wide by 14" long by 11" high. The Edgecraft is also heavier than the Waring.

7. One more final possible positive is that the Waring FS150 features large suction feet, which help anchor it in position, while the Edgecraft 610 has smaller suction rubber feet that don't work as well.

8. Both slicers are equally noisy... the Waring has a low pitch noise while the Edgecraft has a higher-pitched noise, almost like a whine.

The FS150 is definitely functional, however, and I've used it for about 3 years without problems. Still, the Waring designers have a lot to learn from the Edgecraft/Chef's Choice designers. I'd definitely recommend the Chef's Choice 610 over the Waring FS150.
0Comment|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2007
I purchased this slicer less than a year ago. My main reason was that I had been tired of using an electric knife for slicing roasts.

What I liked about the 610 was the ease in thickness adjustment with a knob turn on the fly. The quality of Chef's Choice is second to none as I had found out with other slicers that were predominately made of plastic.

Slicing onions and tomatoes has now become a norm in the house for sandwiches, which I do in a group and place them in Tupperware.

The one major con with this product is the blade retaining screw. When you need to clean the blade (after every use) you need to turn the tab, which is plastic, clockwise in order to unscrew the retaining screw. This is nearly impossible due to the torque versus the tab. The tab pops off, leaving one to scratch their head on how to get the blade off safely.

After contacting Chefs Choice they told me to stick a butter knife in the middle and turn, which I did and the screw released. I do think that they can improve this with maintaining the screw threads in plastic (prevent any type of rust from sealing it over time) but use an aluminum cap to twist, or just going to a stainless steel retainer. Anything would be better but the current one. That is why I am giving four stars opposed to five.

Otherwise it's a great investment.
on November 16, 2005
I slice many whole pieces of Italian meats - Salami, Mortadela, and procuitto. This slicer is a basic, economical home slicer and does not perform anywhere close to a deli slicer. The unit itself it to small to take a large product and the blade runs to slow for doing a good job on hard cheese. The engine actually starts to smoke on the tough jobs. Additionally, it really can not achieve a super thin slice - it is just not that robust.

But, what do you expect for $100?? It does slice and for small products and a limited amount of slicing it can do the job.

If you want to slice larger pieces and/or achieve thin perfect slices - move to a bigger blade and more powerful engine.
66 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 5, 2010
I have never used a slicer before, or seen one other than at a Deli, where I never paid attention. So I was surprised at how slow the blade spun (maybe 90 or so RPM).

Unit feels pretty solid, the parts all move easily where they should, and the adjustment dial on the back has a nice ratcheted feel to it. Disassembly is about as easy as it could get, rotate the knob to the "remove" position and the guide comes out, the slider has a switch with three positions, locked, normal, and remove, so that comes out with a single slide of the switch. Blade comes out easily with a coin or something similar. So cleanup is just as easy as everyone says.

I was using a 6.5lb ham for my first test, and it started out really well at the beginning when the end was narrow. I started out with some pretty thin slices, nothing you could read through but thinner than normal oscar meyer lunchmeat would be cut. Did a few thicker pieces too, just to see how it worked, and had no problems. But as I got closer to the widest part of the ham, I started having issues with pieces not falling "behind" after they were cut and despite running the slider the full distance, i kept having to stop and pull a piece out manually every once in a while.

But I have to say, that was my only negative part of the whole experience (thus the one star taken off). Other than that, it worked great. Sounds more like a grinder than a circular saw sound I was expecting, but with the slow revolution, that makes sense.

Came with an extra fuse as well in case you blow one.

When looking at some of the other more expensive models, I was surprised to find most of them had a maximum cut thickness that was actually less than this one. So it certainly has a wide range of settings.

The on/off switch also has a "pulse" setting that has it spinning only when you press the button.

Item was well packaged against damage, nice sturdy box with well designed styrofoam inserts.

All in all I'm happy with the unit, although my first foray into purchasing meat was a bit of sticker shock, grabbed the small ham i mentioned, fully cooked from the deli, 6.5 lbs, and was in the low $40 range... I thought I'd save some cash over buying packaged pseudo meat, but I guess not. Fortunately, that wasn't the primary reason I purchased it, and I have to say the ham was worth every penny, some of the best I ever had...
review image review image review image
on August 24, 2007
When I was a young man, I helped pay my college tuition by working in a deli. The one thing I loved was working with the meat slicer. Anyone whos ever used one of these machines knows how easy it is to slice meats, cheeses and even vegetables from paper thin to as thick as you'd like. Well this machine is definately the home version. It's easy to slice just about anything. It also disassembles easily for cleanup. Once you set the thickness, every slice comes out perfect. I had an Oster slicer for the last twenty years and this machine outperforms it in every respect. Please note; when tightening the blade the pop out tab can come off if you tighten it two much. This is no problem as it will pop right back on. I assume it was made this way to prevent stripping the screw by overtightening.
on January 19, 2006
I purchased this slicer after my old one (17 years old and $50 new) died. I'm not sure if this is a really nice slicer or my old one was just a piece of junk. I opened it up and put it to work today with 10 pounds of semi-frozen venison. I set it to slice thin for jerky and let it go. Even though the inside of the roasts were still frozen, the slicer worked great. The uniformity of the thickness of the slices was very good. My old slicer couldn't keep a uniform thickness at all. The motor never got hot. Clean-up was very nice. I had it taken apart and cleaned in 6 minutes. I make alot of jerky throughout the year and am looking forward to using this slicer. At this time, I will place it in the 5 star category for price paid, however, it is new and I've only just begun..... I will add comments as time passes on.

3-3-06 Still enjoying the slicer. No problems at all.
22 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse