Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 14, 2013
I upgraded from a consumer class linksys that had been running dd-wrt. From a build quality perspective, this is clearly a much nicer unit, as it should be. Remember, this is a router, and not a switch by default, so each of the 3 ports operate independently. I already have a 300 series PoE Switch made by Cisco, so that was not a problem for me.

I am using this in a home environment, but I am an IT professional with an atypical home setup. A normal consumer probably doesn't need and won't like this product.

The documentation is pretty sparse, but the online community is active, and using the guidelines in the forums, I was able to modify their SOHO config to meet my needs. It should be noted you need to either directly edit the config files or use their command line to configure the router in the majority of the cases. The syntax is rather simple to learn, but I would have much preferred to make use of a GUI. The router's GUI only provides what I would say is about 25% of the total features available at the command line. The GUI itself does look nice, but it uses flash which I don't personally care for, as it impacts my ability to use the interface across mobile platforms.

If you do purchase this router, be ready to get your hands dirty with the command line, and you can make things like real VPNs, DDNS, more powerful firewalling, etc all available. If you can only handle GUI interfaces, then you are going to have to find another product until the Ubiquiti team builds out the GUI.

The main attraction of this product is routing performance, and honestly, I don't have the ability to speak to that. This unit is far more powerful than my Internet connection is fast, so I could never saturate it. I did get a little (okay totally) crazy with some geo-based firewall rules and managed to slow the thing down to a trickle but that was my own stupidity implementing 10000s of blocked ip ranges in the way I did. If you dont believe me on how fast this is, check out smallnetbuilder for their review. This thing should handle even the fastest of home Internet connections,

If you have one of those crazy "cisco" console cables, this bad boy does have a console port. Even when I messed stuff up, I didn't need it, I just flashed it back to factory default.

A note on Ubiquiti products in general from my newfound experience. They make nice stuff for a LOT cheaper than comparable products. However, they all seem to be a work in process with significant firmware updates coming less frequently than many users would like. If you want stuff that "just works", they aren't there yet. I like their direction though and I am going to give this product a chance.

I will update the review once the product has been in use for some time.

UPDATE 9/19

Running smoothly since putting into production. No need for periodic reboots unlike some of my consumer grade hardware. If they would update the Firmware with more features, this would be a 5 star product.

UPDATE 10/17

v.1.3 firmware update at least includes a GUI based getting started wizard. This will improve initial user experience greatly.

UPDATE 4/28/14

At this point, Flash should only be used for older browsers, so if you are anti-flash like me, you are good. Additional features have been added to the firmware, more wizards provided, and we are moving in the right direction. I still think that all VPN configuration should be in the GUI, not just command line.
1414 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2013
First, this is not a consumer grade device. If you are looking for the ease of setup you'd find on a Linksys, I would recommend another product. I agree with others that the interface could be more helpful as there are no wizards or prompts to guide you during configuration, however, keep in mind this product isn't targeted at the consumer market. You either need to have limited knowledge of networking or a desire to learn, in which case it's a fantastic box to play with. Over time I believe Ubiquiti will round out the UI, but for right now there's a steep learning curve if you're unfamiliar with networking in general. In the interim, Ubiquiti does publish a basic SOHO configuration example on their community website, all of which can be configured using the WebUI.

The device is based on Vyatta (v6.3 I believe) but is heavily customized and optimized for the hardware. I'm a network/sys admin by profession and with a little assistance from the help command, I found learning the syntax easy and similar to Cisco, HP, and others. Within minutes of plugging it in, I was able to SSH in and began entering commands. If you're familiar with Vyatta at all, you can download the config file from the device, use an editor such as Notepad++ to modify it directly then reapply to the device..

So far I've purchased two of these units, the first succumbed to the DDR memory issue that is well documented on their support forums. I've only recently contacted support for an RMA. Information in the forums suggests the problem was limited to earlier batches of the product and mitigating steps in production were taken to correct the issue permanently. I've been running the second box for only a few weeks with no issues so far. I'll update the review after the RMA process or if the second unit has issues in the interim.

Speaking of support, I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with their community website. Ubiquiti's tagline is "Superior performance. Disruptive price." Ubiquiti gear is cheap, but that price comes at the cost of more formal support. If you're looking for 24/7 access to phone based support, I don't recommend this product. Ubiquiti offers e-mail support only to my knowledge but most questions I had were already answered on the community website. Regarding my DDR issue, I have to give them credit, they responded to my ticket within about ten minutes with steps to troubleshoot the DDR memory issue. Subsequent communication was just as expedient (during their business hours). For the price I paid I can't complain. I purchased a second unit as a backup and still spent $100 less on the pair than a single entry level SonicWALL would have been. Another benefit, no recurring hardware/software maintenance costs. You buy the box and that's it, no recurring or other licensing costs to receive firmware updates or unlock features.

Even with the dead unit, I'm nothing less than happy with this product. If you have the expertise or just want to learn, this is a great buy for the money. Depending on how things shake out I'll be recommending these units to a few clients.

UPDATE 8/1/2013
I've had no issues with the RMA process. Shipped the defective unit to Ubiquiti via Priority Mail and received a new unit back within a week via UPS Ground. The secondary unit has been functioning perfectly in the interim.

UPDATE 10/5/2013
The uptime on the router is now at about 2 1/2 months. Last reboot was due to the firmware upgrade to 1.2.0. Since then I've added a new VoIP network and am pushing a fair amount of data through this box to my VoIP provider. I will say the box does run a little on the warm side but that doesn't seem to be impacting the router in the slightest. It's solid.

UPDATE 1/7/2014
Both units continue to function to my satisfaction. I recently upgraded to 1.3.0 and noted the addition of a first time setup wizard though I can't speak to how it works as it doesn't let you launch the wizard if you're already up and running. So far so good, I'm still enjoying these units.

UPDATE 5/23/2015
Recently upgraded to the 1.6.0 firmware. Ubiquiti has made great strides in adding functionality to the WebUI. I rarely enter the cli anymore. I have multiple units installed both at home and various client offices. Bottom line, they just work. I'm running thousands of dollars of Ubiquiti gear at various client sites. Over two years, I've had exactly two failures, my first EdgeRouter and a PoE injector which was destroyed by water due to its placement, my bad. This stuff is solid.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
I've had the UBNT Edgemax Router Lite for a few months now, and it's been working beautifully for me.

It's an incredible bang for the buck, offering 1 million packets/second routing and fire walling (that will do roughly 1GB/sec). I can't get the CPU load past the single digits with my 120 megabit/sec broadband Internet connection. It offers quality of service, traffic shaping, VLAN tags, link aggregation, and host of other features. If these terms don't make sense to you, then this is NOT your router -- get a Netgear or something. On the other hand, if you've flashed a consumer-grade router with DD-WRT, tinkered with it, and desire to graduate to the next level, then THIS IS YOUR ROUTER. And for about $100 it's an incredible steal.

You need to invest some Google search time to set it up. Fortunately, there are some canned configurations that you can download from UBNT to start you off. The GUI is OK, not spectacular, and some of the more advanced features you'll need the command-line to use. (The command-line user manual for Vyatta, which is the configuration system this unit uses, is a 400+ page PDF document.)

Once I got it configured, it's been running 24/7 in my home IT closet for months without a single hiccup, so it's been rock-solid stable. I also use it as my house's DHCP server (which admittedly is a feature in even the cheesiest consumer-grade router nowadays).

It puts out a surprising amount of heat, although that hasn't impacted its reliability. And if you're interested in rack-mounting it, you will need a mounting bracket, like the one from RF Armor (do a Google search for it). I have the mounting bracket, and it will hold TWO Edgemax Router Lite's or an ERL and a Toughswitch.

Keep in mind that unlike most all-in-one consumer-grade routers that include WiFi capabilities, this is ONLY for hardwired connections. You will need separate access points (and ideally, a commercial-grade system of a wireless controller with 2 or more access points -- trust me on this, you will be MUCH happier).

If/when I switch from the Edgemax Router Lite to something else, it will be likely the reason will be that I'm simply fixing a problem that doesn't exist just to try something different, as the ERL has been performing flawlessly.

EDIT 2015-DEC-30:

The extraordinarily loud thunderclap a week ago indicated a lightning strike very close by. Two switches in my house stopped functioning permanently, and I lost my cable modem. The Edgemax Router Lite's eth0 ethernet port had a hard time linking consistently at gigabit ethernet speeds, rather usually staying at 100 mbps or even 10 mbps connections.

I used my backup router (a DD-WRT-flashed TP Link) and posted a request on the ubnt forum about the simplest way to swap eth2 (what I had been using for WAN) with eth0 (which was essentially unused). Within minutes I had a reply and I was able to easily reconfigure the router to use the other ethernet port to connect to the cable modem.

Now it's back up and running using eth0 for my WAN connection. And it's so noticeably faster than the very good DD-WRT/TP Link router that substituted in a pinch. Speedtest.net results with my DD-WRT router maxed out at a little above 80 mbps for download speed, while the Edgemax Router Lite is in the 160's. That makes you wonder how many people's Internet bandwidth is limited by their consumer-grade router's performance. The ER3 literally provides twice the download performance; the limitation here is the speed of my broadband connection, not the router.

So with a little reconfiguring the ER3 survived a lightning strike! Not bad for a $100 unit. And my experience speaks volumes to the activity and helpfulness of the ubnt Edgemax forum, and demonstrates that the forum with its community support is able to provide considerable support for the product.

I maintain my 5-star rating after this experience, and almost wish I could bump it to 6 stars.
66 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2014
I have a background in networking, Linux, and am familiar with configuring routing rules/firewalls by hand/command line.

To me, with this background, this router is an incredibly good deal. You really just can't beat it in terms of price/performance right now.

This router slightly outperforms $6k Cisco and Juniper routers.

But, unlike almost every other Ubiquiti device, the GUI really just isn't fully complete yet. On the other devices, you almost never have to get into the command line. All features, including incredibly powerful ones, are available in the GUI on their other devices (some of which I've posted brief reviews on here at Amazon, all of which I've been exceedingly happy with).

On this device, probably because of it's Vyatta underpinnings, it doesn't seem like Ubiquiti has finished the GUI yet. Don't get me wrong - the parts of the GUI that are complete are good - but probably something like only 30% of the routers feature's have GUI representation.

So, right now, that's the downside: If you want to do something fancy, you'll likely need to use the command line. If you don't need to do something fancy, you can just use the GUI, or download configs from the Ubiquiti community.

Overall, it's an incredible value. It will be even more so once Ubiquiti finishes off the GUI.

By the way, it seems like they're quickly making progress on this front, judging based on the difference in the features in the GUI from the original firmware (1.0.1) that shipped on the device compared to the most recent firmware.

Another note: The image posted online here is that of the old, plastic case. All new units are being made with a metal case, instead, apparently. The plastic case has the slanted sides. The metal case version is purely rectangular. I ordered two of these, one ~4 weeks ago, and one about 2 weeks ago. The one from 4 weeks ago came in the plastic case, the one from 2 weeks ago came in the metal case. Both are sturdy and sufficient, just more of a curiosity than anything. It's cool to see that they're going with metal cases now, instead of plastic ones, at the same price.
on April 30, 2015
While this router is built for professionals, it is not hard to use, if you read the forums. I had it running my home network in about 20 minutes. Before the router arrived I downloaded the latest firmware 1.6.0 at this writing and set a static IP on my computer. Once I got it, I connected it directly to my computer, logged in and immediately upgraded the firmware. Once the router rebooted, I logged back in to 192.168.1.1 and clicked on the wizard tab and used the 1 WAN and 2 LAN tab, set it the way I wanted, enabled DHCP and firewall, clicked accept and clicked are you sure. The router loaded my configuration and rebooted. Plugged in my modem in the WAN port and my Switch in the LAN port and it worked as advertised and replaces a D-Link DIR-655 which was converted to a wireless access point.

Update 09/29/2015

I upgraded the firmware to 1.7 and am still very pleased with my investment. Currently it has been up for almost 2 months. I have it and my switches plugged into a UPS and have no complaints.

Update 03/29/2016

I upgraded the firmware to 1.8 via the command line interface. Ubiquiti keeps improving with each firmware iteration. I still have no complaints. The router has more features that I will ever use but it is the hands down most reliable router I have ever owned. The only time it gets rebooted is for a firmware upgrade, or a power outage that lasts longer than my UPS can supply power.
on July 8, 2014
The reviews here are great and very representative, so I just wanted to add what can be configured through the GUI versus what needs the command-line (as of firmware version 1.5 in July 2014).

Here's what can be configured through the GUI:

* Wizards for setting up WAN+LAN and Load Balancing default configurations. This feature should be anyone's first step.
* Interface configuration, addresses (multiple addresses per interface supported), speed.
* VLANs and PPPoE interfaces.
* Routes (dynamic, static, RIP, and OSPF).
* Port forwarding, but currently no triggering.
* Firewall rules, and ability to add rulesets to interfaces. Also shows packet statistics for each rule. Note that outgoing firewall rules can be used to block internet services by port or IP address ranges.
* NAT rules including SNAT and DNAT rules.
* DHCP servers (multiple servers configurable and assignable to interfaces). Static assignments supported.
* DNS forwarding (assignable interfaces).
* Dynamic DNS through Afraid, Dnspark, Dslreports, Dyndns, Easydns, Namecheap, Sitelutions, or Zoneedit. Multiple allowed.
* PPPoE server (single server, but multiple interfaces supported).
* Radius PPTP and IPsec site-to-site with multiple peers.
* GUI tools for ping, site-to-site bandwidth measurement, traceroute, and packet capture/display.

Here are some notable items that require command-line:

* OpenVPN, either cert based or client based.
* Quality-of-Service (QoS) settings, but there are many options available.
* Squid (web proxy) config including domain blocking or online whitelists / blacklists.
* Time (schedule) based rules aren't natively supported but are possible with scripting and cron.
* Anything accomplishable with Linux wizardry should theoretically be possible.
on May 21, 2014
Another winner from ubuquiti. I've installed several of these devices and all have resulted in robust and stable network connectivity at all sites.
on December 20, 2014
The EdgeRouter Lite is a very nicely constructed professional grade router. I am a moderately talented tech nerd. The setup and coding necessary for a relatively simple task like port forwarding was truly daunting. I finally gave up and returned the router. I'm sure the high level of programibility is a great feature for specialized applications but I was only using it as a simple internet router with a couple port forwarding instructions. Ubiquity's Email tech support was excellent but in the end I reverted back to using my Comcast/Xfinity modem/router/wifi combo.

I have three Unifi Access Points installed in my office. They were incredibly easy to install and have worked flawlessly for the last year. The office almost glows with five bars of WiFi. I expected the router from the same company (Ubiquity) to be a good choice since I no longer need the WiFi that is included with most routers. I think ubiquity should get busy and produce a series of routers with and without WiFi that are easier to set up. A bit more software work could transform the EdgeRouter Lite into a device that is adaptable to both consumers and network professionals.
on January 23, 2015
After much review I decided to purchase this edge router and give it a chance. I was worried because I am not an IT expert by any means and after some of the reviews I thought it may be difficult to set up. Honestly this router was much, much easier to set up than advertised. I connected to the router, updated the firmware and ran the set up wizard and was up and running in about 10 minutes. So far so good, no reboots, no freezing up and it is incredibility fast. I would recommend this router to anyone who is on the edge about it.
on November 20, 2015
Just a note on my background. I work as a computer tech at a local college, who also repairs computers for close friends and family off to the side. So one note about this product, if you don't know the difference between Class A, B, and C private addresses, then this product is probably not for you.

Anyway, I bought this router after having issues with Verizon's basic home router (Westell brand) because I had too many computers on it. The Verizon router would halt all traffic once every couple of days and had to be rebooted. I typically couldn't get the uptime past 3 days. To get the burden of the Verizon modem, I set that to bridge mode and let this thing handle PPPoe, DHCP, and everything after. Even handling the PPPoe this thing is using less than 20% of it's RAM.

After setting this thing up by updating to the most current firmware, and using a wizard. I decided to tweak some settings to fit what I want it to do. I modified the IP range (changed to class B private addresses), and setup dynamic DNS on a namecheap subdomain. After that I setup PXE booting using CLI.

This thing has flawlessly handled everything I've thrown at it so far. I had on average about 20-25 devices connected, with a peak of 56 devices; I have not seen RAM usage get past 19%. It's on a rural area DSL link of about 3Mbps. Cell networks here are limited to voice and text only, so I let any family members and guests use the Wifi. I have a medium end TP-Link Wireless-N AP, and on occasion I overloaded that, but never this router.

Now despite having that much traffic this thing has never had to be rebooted. So far the uptime on the current session is exactly 3 months, 3 days, and 23 hours. It would be more but I was playing with settings and had to reboot to apply some changes, trying to get PXE to work on Realtek adapters.

Overall I'd recommend this to tech savvy users who don't mind getting their hands dirty in CLI.

Edit: 5/9/2016. On 5/8/2016 the EdgeRouter Lite failed after a regular reboot with no impending changes. I had to make my own DB9 to RJ-45 Cisco type adapter to be able to diagnose it, Note that the baud rate is different than the default (9600 that works by default with most CISCO products), UBNT products use baud rate 115200, Ubiquiti has the specs in their wiki. The issue ended up being the built in flash drive was getting corrupt (console output showed USB errors.) Thanks to the help of other fellow UBNT community members, I was able to get it working again. The flash drive can be replaced with most 4GB or 8GB flash drives, as long as they fit in the tight clearance inside of the Edgerouter Lite. I may do some later testing on using a USB extension to hopefully clear up the tight tolerance.

The issue seems so common that the community members know what the issue is when they see the first console output capture.