4.0 out of 5 stars Brooklyn is So Brooklyn
EDIBLE BROOKLYN: The Cookbook
Edited by: Rachel Wharton
Photography by: Carole Topalian
See unique dust cover - it is very frameable.

Published on December 9, 2011 by Marty Martindale

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty obnoxious for a cookbook.
This book has a few to a lot of good recipes, depending on whether you generally cook with foie gras and truffle oil or not. (I just noticed on the inside cover, the recipes are described as "unpretentious." Since when is foie gras-stuffed quail unpretentious?)
Published on October 2, 2011 by Y. Barysheva

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty obnoxious for a cookbook., October 2, 2011
This review is from: Edible Brooklyn: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
However, the tone of this book is extremely obnoxious. I've lived in Brooklyn since I was 5 (before which I immigrated from Ukraine, so I am completely legit, I promise - a real immigrant Brooklyner), and it irks me that this book spends so much time talking about how diverse the population (and thus, the food) is, while their map of Brooklyn (hidden cleverly inside the jacket) is only of the north-west neighborhoods - Red Hook, Fort Greene, etc.
Also, the introduction begins with "We have to admit to feeling a bit smug, living and eating in Brooklyn..." and goes on to describe Brooklyn as being riddled with CSAs and roof-top farms, overflowing with local, organic food and microbreweries. Seriously? Maybe if I was living in a $3000-a-month Carroll Gardens apartment, I would have a roof-top farm. This book is the epitome of the back-patting smugness transplants to Brooklyn exude when they spend $6 a bunch on organic kale grown on someone's roof.
I'm not knocking local or organic food (I am definitely pro). However, the author of this book hasn't the slightest clue what the real Brooklyn is all about, and instead smugly encourages the very (lack of) culture destroying traditional Brooklyn. Am I bitter? Maybe. Is this even relevant to the food? I don't know. But it's very hard to get past.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird recipes-take a pass, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Edible Brooklyn: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have the first Edible Cookbook which I purchased in Traverse Michigan many years ago. It has great recipes and stories from around the country. This Brooklyn edition has some really odd recipes that I find hard to imagine being served in a restaurant. Save your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Texas vs. Brooklyn?, November 6, 2013
This review is from: Edible Brooklyn: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Hard to read and to get into, especially the recipes. I was expecting more since all the Brooklyn revival talks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook is just OK, not a winner, August 6, 2013
This review is from: Edible Brooklyn: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
There aren't enough recipes that I want to try. Too unfamiliar. Maybe if I'd lived in Brooklyn, I'd like it better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brooklyn is So Brooklyn, December 9, 2011
EDIBLE BROOKLYN: The Cookbook
Edited by: Rachel Wharton
Photography by: Carole Topalian
See unique dust cover - it is very frameable.

In her introduction, Rachel Wharton states: "It's not just dishes, in other words, but dozens of stories of how Brooklyn - the home of those beautiful hills and the borough of Kings - lives and cooks and eats." The book has contains historic accounts of Brooklyn's history in addition to popular recipes.

Wharton divides the body of the book into Small Plates and Snacks; Finger Food, Pickles and Sides; Mains; Light Suppers and Soup and Drinks and Desserts. Just because an editor doesn't actually write the recipes, it takes a lot of legwork to round-up the best for such a justifiably proud area. In her sources, she lists shops which make and deliver Brooklyn-made foods. She also compiles a handy Brooklyn Books and Websites section.

Here are just a few of the hundred recipes in the book:

* Michael Hearst, Musician: Spicy Olive Hummus
* Justin Philips, co-owner of Beer Table: Roasted Cauliflower Salad
* Bret Macris, Executive Chef at Rose Water Restaurant in Park Slope: Green Chili with Braised Pork, Crème Frlaiche and Feta
* Michael Hurwitz, Director of GrowNYC's Greenmarket program: Sunday Short Ribs in Cider and Tomatoes
* Andrew Feinberg, Chef and Co-owner of Franny's in Prospect Heights: Cucumbers with Ricotta, Basil and Mint
* Kara Masi, founder of Ted and Amy Supper Club: Long Island Clams with Chorizo and Beer
* Gemma Garcia, Beekeeper, East New York Farms: Trinidadian Buljol
* Winnie Yang, Managing Editor, The Art of Eating: Mint and Honey Ice Cream.

In short, if Brooklyn is in your fond past, you will want this Edible Brooklyn in your library.

Review by Marty Martindale, Editor, Foodsite Magazine

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Edible Brooklyn: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I could not stop reading this book once I picked it up. The visuals and recipes are really helpful and inspirational for people that want to eat deliciously.

Edible Brooklyn: The Cookbook
Edible Brooklyn: The Cookbook by Rachel Wharton (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
$18.95 $13.64