Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on March 6, 2015
I bought two of these routers to extend part of my network across a narrow stretch of property.

I immediately noticed problems with documentation (both firmware and User Manual): spelling errors, grammatical errors, and overall hasty mistakes.

SECURITY ALERT: I also noticed that both passwords and encryption keys are exposed in certain areas of the web interface, and not just during setup. The industry standard is to always hide these behind placeholders unless explicitly allowed to be shown. Some people never know who might be looking over their shoulder.

I should note a few things which should have been included in documentation, but are not as of yet. This unit will only extend one network. For example, if you are using two of these units, either the main network or the guest network can be extended, but not both. Also, WPA (TKIP) encryption is not supported and does not seem to work when setup as an extender. The unsupported encryption is allowed as a configuration option, but causes unsurpassable connection issues.

Technical Support was quick to respond to my two initial inquiries and even offered some sort-of helpful advice for accomplishing what I was trying to do with my network. However, it did take more than a few e-mails to get my main problems resolved.

One outstanding issue remains, which Technical Support is still working on. The unit I have setup as a wireless extender shows a status of "disconnect" for both frequency bands. However, both frequency bands appear to be operating normally without any issues otherwise.
review image
This router provides simultaneous dual band communication at 2.4 and 5 GHz for your wireless product needs. It also has four 1 Gb LAN Ethernet wired ports to help connect your home or office computers and printers together. In the box you will find:

* A CD with software and a full copy of the instruction manual on it.
* A small bag of mounting hardware and rubber stick on feet for the router.
* An Ethernet connection cable that is 39 inches long
* A brief start up guide.
* An AC power supply the will operate on 100 to 240 VAC 50/60 HX and it is UL approved. The length of the power supply wire is 60 inches.
* The router itself.

On the bottom of the unit you will find the location to either mount the rubber feet or holes to mount the router to a wall using the supplied hardware. The router features adjustable antennas that you can set to maximize the WIFI transmissions for your home. On the back of the router there is an on/off switch to turn off the wireless radio. There is also a reset/WPS push button with will start the easy setup and adding of new devices to the WIFI network for the users who are intimidated by using routers. The button can also be pressed and held to reset the router back to the original firmware default settings.

There are four 1 Gb Ethernet ports on the rear to connect your computers, printers or to another network hub. There is an Ethernet input for the connection for the WAN which is the cable from the cable modem and the power jack for the incoming power supply cord.

I received a notice from the supplier to update the firmware before I ran my tests and I followed their instructions which were clear and easy to follow.

We are a digital household with many wireless devices (actually 23 static IP address devices and 10 dynamic address devices). We need a fast and powerful WIFI that can handle the load. Our home is large and as a result we also use a 2.4 GHz Access Point with 1000 milli-Watts of power to cover all of the home and the surrounding land. Between the two devices we have full power over more than one acre of land around our home and even much further in some areas.

I love the dual band WIFI routers. We use select devices on the 5 GHz band for faster data transfer. In addition we can now backup two wireless computers to servers simultaneously by having one computer on each band. The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WIFI channels support concurrent operation at max bandwidth without any interference.

In my experience the 5 GHz band provides faster rates of data transfer but it does not have the distance carrying capabilities of the 2.4 GHz band. It is also more influenced by the number and types of walls and different levels of floors of a building than the 2.4 GHz band is. These issues give you a combination of connection tradeoffs that you have to consider when selecting which items to put onto which WIFI operating frequency band.

All our other Ethernet wired hubs are 1GHz and by using this router even the wired ports on this router are 1GHz so there is no speed loss. We get great speed on all the computers in our home with this device. We stream movies wirelessly to our 55 inch TV and the speed is great. We do this from a server and the video feed is so good we can even fast forward through videos as if we were using a DVD. We experience no skips or flutters in the picture and sound. We also transfer movies wirelessly using Roku and we have no issues getting HD quality on the TV's.

On the bottom of the router you will find a label that lists the Pin Number for each frequency band and the MAC address for each frequency channel. You may be asked to input a pin number during some set up operations. The basic set up of the router to the internet was simple and fast but there is one issue. I had to convert my computers to Dynamic IP address selection and to obtain the DNS server address automatically. There are clear instructions on how to do this in the full instruction manual provided on the supplied CD disk.

I use static IP addresses on many devices to avoid address conflicts that can occur when using dynamic addresses on many devices. This Edimax router is limited to having 16 static IP addresses and in order to set them up you need to enter the MAC addresses of each device into a table on the router's set up software. While this is easy for an experienced WIFI router user is would be challenging for a novice to undertake. I also would like to use more than 16 static addresses.

Important items to remember when using this router:
* Set up separate SSID names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz channels and write down the names so you don't forget them.
* Set up separate passcodes for each channel and write them down also.
* Change the router access password so your neighbors or a passerby cannot hijack your WIFI router and reprogram it. Write it down! The default user name is admin and the password is 1234.
* The browser address is 192.168.2.1 and this is not what I normally use. I use 192.168.1.1. This address is changeable within the software but it caused me to have to reset several computers to test this unit out.
* Make sure that you program the WIFI security to prevent your neighbors or a passersby from stealing your Wi-Fi and using the bandwidth free. I use WPA2 personal (AES) mode. This is a pre-shared key protection.
* It is also important that you set up a router on a WIFI channel that is not getting hammered by a dozen neighbors using the same channel. If you have a Kindle Fire look at an app named WIFI Analyzer and you can look at the spectrum of channels and find the one that is the least used. You can select an open or least used channel and improve the quality of the communications and distance your WIFI will transmit.

I rate this router as a 4.5 stars product but since there is no such rating I put a 5 star rating on it. I use a top notch router now and its WIFI signal was better than this unit. In many locations of my home it was 30 percent higher in signal strength when compared to this unit. The 1 GHz Ethernet wired performance was the same.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
77 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2016
Good range at a very affordable price. I've had zero issues with it after setting it up. Setting it up was a bit of a pain because of their odd setup. They really should just have an IP address and directly web connect to it. If you have ever set one up you should be able to get it configured quickly despite their quirky procedure. I used my smartphone to connect wirelessly and configure it to put it on my home network.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 14, 2015
The Edimax Dual-Band AC1200 Router was sent to me (free of charge) so that I could provide an unbiased and an honest review.

It works flawlessly for me as an access point. Setup was easy and quick. It is giving more extended range with the wifi so that my entire home has coverage now. The device is in my living room and I have a HTPC hardwired to it.

The manual was comprehensive, easy to read and had large print that is "old eye friendly".

I also should mention that Edimax support is exemplary.
on December 13, 2013
This router is an absolute piece of junk. Because of range issues I am having with my almost 15 years old WRT54G router I decided to update. After some research I thought Edimax would offer good value and ordered one. After receiving the router I set it up and tested. I have to say that setup process was easy. However, immediately after setup (and I turned both my modem and router off after the setup to make sure there wouldn't be some interference from the previous connection), when I connected the network I was able to receive 2/5 bars from my PC which is in the same room as router (I got 4 or 5 bars from the old router). I thought, well, perhaps the range will be better and moved to the living room, tested both Roku device and the laptop. It was slower again. Finally I made a comparison using speedtest service, and as I suspected, when I did concurrent tests Edimax was significantly slower than 15 years old Linksys I have.

Being a determined person, I thought, "well, I ordered this mainly because of the range issue, so perhaps I can use this as a range extender" (it is a 3 in 1 device). I tested my connection speed in the living room before installing Edimax as a range extender there. I was able to get about 3 mbps. I resetted Edimax to factory defaults, reconnected, then setup it as a range extender. Did the speedtest again, and what is the result I get, still about 3 mbps.

My conclusion: avoid this useless piece of junk and keep your old router or if you have to buy a new one spend a little bit more and buy something better.
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2015
This router was the WORST. I may have just received a bad one, but my settings would never save, I would have to constantly reset the router back the Defaults, and I'd always have to power-cycle it. The wi-fi would just drop out completely numerous times throughout the day. The signal strength was okay, but not impressive by any means. I ended up returning this one and went with the TP-Link AC1750 instead, which had better reviews. the TP-Link is better in every way, I love that router! I'd recommend that one instead.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2015
My son purchased this router to use at home. We have a two storey house and were getting poor signal in his room downstairs. He soon realized that to take advantage of the "range extender" feature, we would have to get anothe router, especially because he wanted to use the "ac" network. Upon purchasing a TP-Link router and trying to set up the Edimax as an extender. He encountered some problems. THe router connected, but was unable to connect to the internet. He spoke to an edimax technician who was very helpful by the name of Judy. She spent about 2 hours the first day diagnosig the problem but could not come up with a solution. On the second day however, she asked a colleague who had both the TP_Link and Edimax router to try to extend his network and he did it successfully.

She advised my son to upgrade the firmware on the Tp-Link router , which he did and then proceeded to set up the extender for him. It worked flawlessly thereafter. So, while the router may have been a pain to deal woth because he researched extensively to try to find a solution, in the end the Edimax support team deserves some praise. They did an outstanding job. With that being said, I definitly recommend this router.
on November 18, 2015
Range is good connection is rock solid way less problems then any other router I have owned. I have it set with 3 different WiFi up one for each band public and one not broadcasting for my private more secure setup.

Update 2 and a half years later. Runs Rock solid Never had a better router.
on July 23, 2015
I was cautious about getting an inexpensive router, especially one with all of these features. I have been pleasantly surprised by the reliability and ease of setup. Setting one up is a snap and there are features that allow sophisticated setup for the power user or gamer. The gigabit connection to your cable modem etc allows for lightning fast connection to the web. WIFI speed is great and I routinely connect at near 300 Mhz WIFI and gigabit speeds when connected by Ethernet cable. I do special setup like port forwarding and QOS and these features work perfectly which is more than I can say for some better known and more expensive routers I have here.

Having 5 ghz band allows you to connect with a lesser chance of interference from your neighbors.
on September 29, 2015
Drops connections frequently, requires constant attention. Have had this Rev A for over a year and have upgraded the firmware with each release up to v2.18 as of this writing, without improvement on the connection problems. This model is not currently flash-able with DD-WRT either. I would stay away from Edimax.