Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:00 Mins
This router provides simultaneous dual band communication at 2.4 and 5 GHz for your wireless product needs. It also has four 1 Gb LAN Ethernet wired ports to help connect your home or office computers and printers together. In the box you will find:

* A CD with software and a full copy of the instruction manual on it.
* A small...
Published 16 months ago by JJCEO

1.0 out of 5 stars Regularly needs to be restarted
RE-EDIT: Removed two more stars

Published 16 months ago by C

1.0 out of 5 stars Regularly needs to be restarted, June 27, 2013
This review is from: Edimax Dual-Band AC1200 Router/Extender/AP, 3-in-1 Smart Device, Provides iQ-Setup for Easy Installation via Smartphone/Tablet (BR-6478AC) (Personal Computers)
RE-EDIT: Removed two more stars

After a month and a half of ownership, I'm ready to throw this thing out the window. I have to reset it AT LEAST twice a week (sometimes more), sometimes more, due to loss of wan connectivity. No firmware updates from Edimax to address the problem. Also, changing even the most minor setting requires a restart. If you're looking for a blazing fast router that constantly needs restarting for a decent price, maybe this is for you. If you don't want the hassle, though, spend the extra money to get a good router.

EDIT: Removed two stars for the following reasons
-> Router has no DHCP release/renew buttons in the administration interface, meaning that if something goes wrong with the connection to the cable modem, the only recourse is to reset the router
-> For reasons that elude me, the manufacture has removed the ability to strip the client type to 'N' only or 'AC' only. This prevents operation in 802.11n greenfield mode, leading to a modest performance penalty for 802.11N-only networks.

I would have only removed one star, but for the fact that I actually do have to occasionally reset the router due to connectivity issues (once every few days). Strangely, when this happens, the router claims to have an IP address that isn't even in the range issued by Comcast (come to think of it, it might fall within the range issued by the router's own DHCP server, which would be very suspicious). I never had this problem with my prior router (Linksys WRT610n), so the Edimax seems like a likely culprit.

Also, on my 'wants' lists are:

- Ability to see a list of WLAN clients, there connection type (b/g/a/n/ac), their negotiated data rate, and their signal strength
- Ability to see overall WAN throughput, and optimally throughput use per client
- Ability to have the router monitor Internet connectivity, and attempt to automatically release/renew the DHCP lease from the cable modem (or disconnect/connect whatever type of modem is in use) when there is an interruption. Really this would just be a work-around for the fact that the router seems to periodically lose connectivity.

-= End of edit =-

As of mid-June 2013, you could buy this router either standalone for $69.99, or in a bundle with an Edimax EW-7822UAC Wireless AC1200 Adapter for $99.99. For the extra $30, the adapter is *well worth* the money. It is *BLAZING* fast, and will probably double or triple the speed you'd get with a high-end 802.11n adapter.

Despite what the product description seams to indicate ("...And it provides simultaneous 2.4GHz (802.11n) and 5GHz (802.11ac)..."), this router actually supports the following standards on each band:

2.4Ghz - 802.11 b, g, and n
5.8Ghz - 802.11 n, a, and ac

I have tested this with several 2.4 adn 5.8 GHz 802.11n adapters and the included 802.11ac adapter. In all cases the 802.11n cards have achieved similar speed and range to my prior router (a *far* more expensive Linksys WRT610n), and with the Edimax AC 1200 adapter. The Edimax adapter easily achieves 200+mbps, and this was connected to a USB 2.0 port (which maxes out at 280mbps). It's possible that it could be even faster with USB 3.0.

The user interface is top-notch, and they have resolved the problem with having to reboot between every settings page. There is now a 'save' and 'apply' button at the bottom of every page, so you can save after making the changes in each page, and then at the end use an 'apply' button to apply the settings and reboot the router. Although my Linksys did surpass the Edimax here (it could apply many settings changes with no reboot), it's not a deal killer. The administration interface supports all of the typical options - Dynamic DNS, various port-forwarding and DMZ modes, gateways for certain devices, MAC cloning, etc. One thing that's missing is a build in print server or mass storage interface, but since you can simply assign these duties to any PC on your network, I have not found the omission to be critically important.

I did find the Edimax Setup Wizard to error out on my router, but when I initially tried to set up the router my Internet connection was down, so the two may have been related. In any case, I found the manual configuration web interface to be easy to use, and I was able to quickly configure my router that way.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good dual band WIFI router at a reasonable price for the performance!, July 2, 2013
Length:: 9:00 Mins

* A CD with software and a full copy of the instruction manual on it.
* A small bag of mounting hardware and rubber stick on feet for the router.
* An Ethernet connection cable that is 39 inches long
* A brief start up guide.
* An AC power supply the will operate on 100 to 240 VAC 50/60 HX and it is UL approved. The length of the power supply wire is 60 inches.
* The router itself.

On the bottom of the unit you will find the location to either mount the rubber feet or holes to mount the router to a wall using the supplied hardware. The router features adjustable antennas that you can set to maximize the WIFI transmissions for your home. On the back of the router there is an on/off switch to turn off the wireless radio. There is also a reset/WPS push button with will start the easy setup and adding of new devices to the WIFI network for the users who are intimidated by using routers. The button can also be pressed and held to reset the router back to the original firmware default settings.

There are four 1 Gb Ethernet ports on the rear to connect your computers, printers or to another network hub. There is an Ethernet input for the connection for the WAN which is the cable from the cable modem and the power jack for the incoming power supply cord.

I received a notice from the supplier to update the firmware before I ran my tests and I followed their instructions which were clear and easy to follow.

We are a digital household with many wireless devices (actually 23 static IP address devices and 10 dynamic address devices). We need a fast and powerful WIFI that can handle the load. Our home is large and as a result we also use a 2.4 GHz Access Point with 1000 milli-Watts of power to cover all of the home and the surrounding land. Between the two devices we have full power over more than one acre of land around our home and even much further in some areas.

I love the dual band WIFI routers. We use select devices on the 5 GHz band for faster data transfer. In addition we can now backup two wireless computers to servers simultaneously by having one computer on each band. The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WIFI channels support concurrent operation at max bandwidth without any interference.

In my experience the 5 GHz band provides faster rates of data transfer but it does not have the distance carrying capabilities of the 2.4 GHz band. It is also more influenced by the number and types of walls and different levels of floors of a building than the 2.4 GHz band is. These issues give you a combination of connection tradeoffs that you have to consider when selecting which items to put onto which WIFI operating frequency band.

All our other Ethernet wired hubs are 1GHz and by using this router even the wired ports on this router are 1GHz so there is no speed loss. We get great speed on all the computers in our home with this device. We stream movies wirelessly to our 55 inch TV and the speed is great. We do this from a server and the video feed is so good we can even fast forward through videos as if we were using a DVD. We experience no skips or flutters in the picture and sound. We also transfer movies wirelessly using Roku and we have no issues getting HD quality on the TV's.

On the bottom of the router you will find a label that lists the Pin Number for each frequency band and the MAC address for each frequency channel. You may be asked to input a pin number during some set up operations. The basic set up of the router to the internet was simple and fast but there is one issue. I had to convert my computers to Dynamic IP address selection and to obtain the DNS server address automatically. There are clear instructions on how to do this in the full instruction manual provided on the supplied CD disk.

I use static IP addresses on many devices to avoid address conflicts that can occur when using dynamic addresses on many devices. This Edimax router is limited to having 16 static IP addresses and in order to set them up you need to enter the MAC addresses of each device into a table on the router's set up software. While this is easy for an experienced WIFI router user is would be challenging for a novice to undertake. I also would like to use more than 16 static addresses.

Important items to remember when using this router:
* Set up separate SSID names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz channels and write down the names so you don't forget them.
* Set up separate passcodes for each channel and write them down also.
* Change the router access password so your neighbors or a passerby cannot hijack your WIFI router and reprogram it. Write it down! The default user name is admin and the password is 1234.
* The browser address is 192.168.2.1 and this is not what I normally use. I use 192.168.1.1. This address is changeable within the software but it caused me to have to reset several computers to test this unit out.
* Make sure that you program the WIFI security to prevent your neighbors or a passersby from stealing your Wi-Fi and using the bandwidth free. I use WPA2 personal (AES) mode. This is a pre-shared key protection.
* It is also important that you set up a router on a WIFI channel that is not getting hammered by a dozen neighbors using the same channel. If you have a Kindle Fire look at an app named WIFI Analyzer and you can look at the spectrum of channels and find the one that is the least used. You can select an open or least used channel and improve the quality of the communications and distance your WIFI will transmit.

I rate this router as a 4.5 stars product but since there is no such rating I put a 5 star rating on it. I use a top notch router now and its WIFI signal was better than this unit. In many locations of my home it was 30 percent higher in signal strength when compared to this unit. The 1 GHz Ethernet wired performance was the same.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic wireless router with easy installation, August 10, 2014
Jeet (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
I have had the Edimax Dual-Band AC1200 Router for about a week now and so far everything has gone extremely smoothly without any problems.

After unboxing, you will find the router, power cord, a CD to help with installation (but not required), an Ethernet cable, and rubber feet to attach to the bottom of the router, a couple screws if you want to wall mount it, and an installation guide.
The really nice this about this router is that not only will it replace (and upgrade) your old router, but it also can act as an access point and a range extender. It is very easy to flip between all the modes when needed.

The design of the router is very stylish. It has your normal ports – 4-1 Gb ethernet ports and one WAN port on the back. On the back it also has a radio on/off button and a WPS button. LED lights on the front are power, internet, 2.4GHz wireless, 5GHz wireless, WAN, and Lan 1-4. Basically everything you usually find in a router.

The one thing that sets this router apart from all other ones that I have used is the fact that once you plug everything in and find the “edimax.setup” SSID, when you open up your internet browser, you are immediately directed to the Edimax “get started” screen. This is different because usually I would have to plug in some IP address and it was a confusing mess. This eliminated all that hassle! Once connected, it will take you on a step by step journey to ensure that you are correctly connecting everything. I’m not a technology genius by any means and I was able to connect so that definitely says something about how easy it was!

This also gives a pretty good wireless signal. I live in an apartment complex and was more than 150 feet away from the router itself and was able to connect to my wifi without any problem. I had been renting out my router previously and this one blows that one out of the water! In the week that I’ve tested this, I have not once had to restart it, which I did have to do at least once every few days with my other router.

This is a fantastic router, one which I would recommend to anyone who is in the market for one. Not only does it look nice, but it also does its job very well. I also like the fact that it has the access point and range extender which are added bonuses. Therefore, I give this router a 5 star Amazon rating!

I was given this item as a sample in exchange for my fair and honest evaluation. In no way was I forced to give a positive review of this product and I stand by everything written in this review. If you have any questions about this product feel free to ask me and I would be more than happy to help out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, great improvement, October 1, 2013
I got this product off another site. The speeds and distance at 2.4ghz is great a vast improvement from the built in wifi in my comcast router. I have not been able to test the ac capability as of yet as my laptop does not have that capability. I NEED TO GET A USB ADAPTER (for anyone out there who wants to send me an early Xmas gift) The ease of set up is fantastic and is streamlined so it only takes three steps to set up.
Pro's:
-easy to set up
-price point (substantially cheaper than competition)
-speed increase
-dual wi-fi (you can set some devices on the 2.4ghz and some on the 5ghz depending on what you want to do)... shows 2 separate wifi SSID's
-the size and set up is nice, it doesn't look over bearing in the living room

Downsides:
- make sure that your computer has 5ghz capability if its older... it doesn't, so get it with the usb ac adapter
- with ease of set up comes the fact that if you are looking to tinker in the programming of the router... you cant, it doesn't have all the techy stuff some people love... which is a double edged sword, you cant screw anything up, but then you cant screw anything up
- no usb 3.0, while other ac routers have this... they are on average at least 100 bucks more... so yea, i'll save my 100 but wish I could set up a home server (maybe later)

In conclusion, if you are looking for stupid fast speeds and want something that is a "plug and play" style with minimal set up or tech knowledge needed this is a good product. If you aren't looking to make a proverbial fortress of Nerd then this would be a good choice for an upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple router that works, February 13, 2014
DMITRY BONDAR (SUNNYVALE, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I decided to write this review as an answer to all this negative *, **, *** reviews.

I'm using this router as a wireless bridge between ADSL router and NAS and it works perfectly in this role.
As a nice addition I have 802.11ac connection between my Macbook Air 2013 and NAS, which allows me to use Lightroom w/o any cables (all my pictures are stored on NAS)

So my setup is follow:
Edimax (as client) <-- 2.4 802.11n --> ADSL router (Internet, Router, DHCP)
Edimax (as AP ) <-- 802.11.ac --> Macbook AIr
Edimax <-- cable --> NAS

With the latest 1.16 firmware I have no problems at all. That is true that setting up the device could be tricky, but with minimal technical knowledge you won't face any issue.

PS On edimax.us also available 2.04 firmware, which is useless for me, because in this 2.xx firwares Edimax decided to disable Bridge functionality.

1.0 out of 5 stars 6 MONTH UPDATE: Frequent disconnects. Not a good item. FRUSTRATING!, December 5, 2013
PROS: Setup was a breeze. Software interface is pretty good. Very easy to port forward.
CONS: Signal is weak through walls.

Good buy for the money.

The above is for the first review.

Now the router is continuing to lose signal every 15-30 minutes. I have troubleshooted the issue and isolated it to the router following the following:
Directly connect Laptop to modem, view connectivity logs see that it is not laptop or modem.
Connect laptop to router directly (not wi-fi) and another machine via wi-fi. This shows the signal loss every 15-30 mins.
This was very frustrating and difficult to find and cost me over $100 in service charges with my ISP.

I updated the firmware to 1.16 which may have made the problem worse. It was disconnecting every 30-45 minutes before the update.

3.0 out of 5 stars DNS issues with OS X on firmware v1.14, October 10, 2013
Oct. 17 update:

Edimax customer support has been extremely responsive in helping me troubleshoot this issue, and requested that I try downgrading to the original v1.12 firmware that came with the router. I did so this morning, and haven't had any problems so far. I'll update again this evening once it's had some time to marinate.

Raising the rating to 3 stars now since the router seems to work. I'll add an extra star when they ship a new firmware version without the DNS issue, and a full 5 stars if/when firmware becomes more full-featured (e.g., revoking DHCP leases, adding remote access via SSH, better documentation, etc.) or this router is supported by DD-WRT/Tomato.

Original review:

This router works fine with my wired computers, phones, and tablet. It doesn't, however, work with my OS X laptops. Both of them have DNS resolving issues when connecting through this router, regardless of whether I specify my cable modem or Google's DNS servers. Moreover, I occasionally can't ping external IPs. I've checked the settings multiple times, used the automatic setup, and turned off all extraneous features like iQoS, UPnP, and the firewall, to no avail. Occasionally, refreshing the DHCP lease seems to get things moving (I'm not sure why - that has nothing to do with DNS).

I've contacted Edimax customer support, and hopefully it's just a bad firmware version, but I'll be returning this if they can't find a solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast transfer speeds and easy to setup!, October 2, 2013
J. Fan (Carpinteria, CA) - See all my reviews
My main purpose for this router was to set it up as a wireless bridge on the second floor to connect to my main router on the first floor. My media server is upstairs and I needed a way to stream my videos from it to the first floor TV. My previous single band 802.11n router could not do the job as most of my videos are HD quality. After upgrading to this router, I have no problems streaming HD videos that are 720p. I highly recommend this router for the price and the ability to set it up as a wireless bridge!

The setup process was also super easy as the interface was easy to understand. There are a good amount of options built-in, but I didn't use them since my use is strictly as a wireless bridge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Signal has Great penetration, speed is fast, Impressive wireless-ac router, great value, June 19, 2013
George Lee (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This is the first time I buy the product from Edimax. One of my friends suggested me to get this model. It indeed works great!

This router is build very well and provides great throughput (1GHz) on wired connection right out of box. It was very easy and quick to set up and provides an excellent and stable wireless connection throughout my entire home. My Motorola modem (router0 is good but this Edimax AC router is BETTER. I will say Edimax is one of the better brands on the same quality as NetGear. Excellent value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & Multiple Uses, June 9, 2013
This is a wonderfully powerful and expansive router. It's very simple to set up. Just plug it in and connect it to your modem. There is no disc to install. There is a `quick installation guide' manual and a (DISC manual included) I set my desktop up to the router. It used both the 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz WI-Fi bands. I connected my iPad and iPhone to the router wireless as well however. The new feature of this router is its 802.11ac capabilities which is capable of truly replacing a wired gigabit connection. The freedom to connect at gigabit speeds is now realized through this new IEEE standard which the frequencies were recently released to the public by the FCC. It is backwards compatible with 802.11b,g, and n Wi-Fi equipment and works seamlessly once the devices are connected. Streaming videos from my iphone to my Apple TV device (which is hooked up to my HDTV) is instantaneous and no longer noticeably buffers the video as it did with my older routers. Streaming videos my Apple TV device which is hooked up to my HDTV is instantaneous and no longer noticeably buffers the video.

There are also many other devices that can be hooked up, such as a video game system, tablets, surveillance cameras, remote speakers, smartphones and (again) an Internet Protocol television (IPTV). These are all interconnected. The Edimax BR-6478AC also gives you an unprecedented four gigabit LAN ports and one gigabit WAN port.

I live in a 950 foot condo with lots of walls and I have NO trouble getting a strong signal from my office (where the router is) to anywhere else in the house. It even goes through three walls and my washer/dryer.

Additional firmware is being released enhancing the stability of the router. Users can upgrade the firmware easily from the current version 1.12 (BR-6478AC). Product generously supplied by manufacturer for an honest review.