3,539 Reviews
 (2,223)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little Wifi Adapter
I purchased this to add wireless connectivity to my Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC. My intention was to have the Pi sit in my second floor bedroom and stream media (movies and music mostly) from the HTPC running XBMC downstairs.

Published 22 months ago by Kevin Greene

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited Range - not good reception on a Linux box
Published 20 months ago by Anis Y. Jiwani

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little Wifi Adapter, March 11, 2013
Kevin Greene (Suffolk, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Nano Size Lets You Plug it and Forget it, Ideal for Raspberry Pi, Supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux (Personal Computers)

Upon plugging it in, I went to the settings screen in OpenELEC and entered in my wireless networking information. I rebooted for good measure and went to system information and found that it had no IP address. After verifying my wireless settings and rebooting once more, I still wasn't connected.

I tried a boatload of things, including installing RaspBian, RaspBMC, different versions of OpenELEC, various command line voodoo, disabling Wifi authentication, etc. None of this worked until I used a powered USB hub, and then it connected automagically. I was simultaneously relieved and frustrated when it worked. Relieved because it finally worked, frustrated because I spent so much time with it.

Now, several people have said that this doesn't need a powered hub for the Pi- which is actually why I bought it. My personal experience was that it did. I have seen things from other people about having to change their power supply to make Wifi adapters work on the pi - I didn't have another to use. Just keep that in mind that if you have trouble, try a powered USB hub before you tear your hair out.

With the Wifi now running properly, I took the Pi to my upstairs bedroom and set it up. I had previously verified that 1080p movies on the wired LAN ran without jitter or buffering. Playing with it on wireless, I found that I had to set my video streams to transcode to 1mbps 720p in order to stream without buffering. I was just happy that it was working, so I was OK with the quality drop.

If you are looking to stream high quality media over this I would suggest one of the other 300mbps or even 450mbps adapters available online. If you are just looking for a cheap, low-profile wireless adapter for web browsing, this should function perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little product for price!, March 16, 2013
I was amazed at how tiny it is! About the width of my little finger pad and not longer than the first either! I used this for my mom's Sony internet TV , which was having trouble connecting to Netflix and the internet was running rather slow. As soon as I plugged it in, I went to internet settings and the thing picked up our WiFI from a different room immediately! Internet and Netflix 10 times faster than it was! Extremely happy with the delivery time too. I was originally told I would have to wait 'til April to get it; I received it 3/14! Awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally good reception!!, January 2, 2012
We've struggled in our home trying to find those isolated locations where our new little Toshiba Netbook (NB-305 model)would be able to make a decent connection to our Linksys wireless-G, 2.4GHz broadband router. Basically, if we didn't have a direct line of sight to the router we'd have signal trouble often resulting in disconnection from the internet. We just received and plugged this new Edimax into the USB port and within one minute found that we now have good reception (5 bars) from almost anywhere in our two story house. I even went outside down to the water's edge (30 ft from house) and still had full signal. Perhaps now my wife will join me fishing this summer if she's able to shop Amazon from the canoe while I fish! (Strike that -- it's probably not such a good idea.) Our netbook also gave us very limited usage in public venues such as coffee houses due to weak reception. We'd have to sit very close to the router to get a good signal. Looking forward to trying out the Edimax in some of these public facilities very soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited Range - not good reception on a Linux box, May 14, 2013
I purchased this to use it with a desktop in the upstairs bedroom directly avove the room in which the router is placed.. We recently switched our service provider to and the connection speed of 50 Mbps. My laptop connects without any problems when in upstairs bedroom with its built-in wifi and the speed I get is about 22 Mbps, when I take it downstairs in the same room as the router it jumps from 22 to 30Mbps, (45 Mbps via ethernet).

I tried the Edimax with my laptop which has no problem connecting when downstairs but in the bedroom it keeps loosing the signal intermittently. My laptop has Windows 7 installed.

I tried it with my second laptop which is an IBM Thinkpad with Ubuntu 12.04 installed. The speed I was getting downstairs was 12 Mbps which I thought was not bad but upstairs the speed dropped to barely 2 Mbps and sometimes no signal

I decided to return it and selected another adapter TP-Link TL-WN722N which worked like a charm on all my machines.

If you will be using the unit in the same room as the router be it Linux or Windows, this will work for you but if the router and the unit are at a distance, particularly on different floors you will have issues.

The main reason for poor performance could be attributed to the unit being very tiny and the built-in antenna is not powerful enough for it to work at a fair distance from router particularly if there are walls and floors in the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Small, So Cheap, Yet Works So Well, February 24, 2012
Amazon Copter (Leesburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Got this 802.11n wireless USB adapter for a slightly older laptop that came out just before 11n was standard. The fact it's so tiny means no worries about knocking it out or around when moving the laptop. I was afraid that would mean spotty or poor performance, but that's just not the case. It reports the signal is stronger than with the 11g connection.

Installation was simple. Switched off the internal G wireless, plugged in this tiny adapter and loaded up the software. No issues at all and was up in less than 10 minutes. This was the last non-11n device I had, so now I've locked the router into 11n mode only. The throughput is noticeably faster for all devices - not just the laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raspberry Pi accessory, April 27, 2013
Perfect for Raspberry Pi. Didn't need to install drivers. Got a great connection from my router. Saw another review suggesting using a powered hub because of a problem dropping connection. I used the usb port on the pi and have no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOMENESS, January 29, 2012
This product is amazing. its the size of my thumb nail, and is fifty feet from the unit: and still gets a 96% connection. threw two walls.. totally worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great range and speed, March 17, 2013
I ordered my first of these adapters to replace the built in wireless antenna in my laptop about 2 months ago. This receiver delivers a strong signal and works throughout our 3 story house. Yesterday the usb wireless adapter on my PC in the basement went bad so I decided to give this adapter a try down there. The signal and speed was better than the full size usb adapter I was using previously.

The install was also very easy. My laptop is running Windows 8 and as soon as I plugged this adapter in it was recognized and started working. My PC is running Windows 7 and I had to download the drivers from the Edimax website. Once downloaded the device was detected and worked great.

I just ordered a second EW-7811Un to use permanently on my basement PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a Raspberry Pi, November 22, 2012
Adrian Sebborn (Williamstown, Mass, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great little unit. Looks more like a dust cover for the USB socket but it works great. I'm using it as a wireless link on my raspberry pi running raspbmc. It didn't even require drivers, just simple plug and play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Small, Great Price, Works with Rasberry PI, April 25, 2013
Purchased this USB wifi to dongle to use with my Raspberry PI running openelec & XBMC. Works great. Took a few minutes to get the settings right to get it to work but once the settings are right, it works like a charm. Here are the settings I used:
Goto System->OpenElec->Network
Network Adapter:
Network Technology: WLAN
Network Interface wlan0
IP Settings: (USE SETTINGS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR NETWORK!) I haven't tested it with DHCP yet.
Static IP Address:192.168.1.80
Netmask Prefixlength:24
Network Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 1: 192.168.1.1
WLAN Settings:
WLAN SSID: YOUR WIRELESS SSID
WLAN SECURITY: WPA/WPA2 (OR YOUR WIRELESS SECURITY)
WLAN Passphrase: Your passcode

A couple of observations to help insure success:
1) The Rasperry PI is very sensitive to under-powered power supplies, especially when using USB WiFi and drives. Some reviewers said they had to use a powered USB hub to get this dongle to work. I can only see two reasons that that would be the case: 1) They are using too small a power supply for the PI (a minimum of 1A is REQUIRED, I strongly suggest a 1.1A or greater power supply) or 2) They were running another power hungry device off the PI's USB port, like a USB drive of some sort. I have no problem running this dongle directly off the PI with no hub.
2) First time setup is much easier with a USB keyboard plugged in, but when using two USB devices on the PI its critical you have a strong power supply. By the way, iPad power supplies work nicely, as do the newer iPhone power supplies.

I'm very happy with this purchase and will be recommending it to a group of high school kids who I'm helping with their raspberry PI projects.