Edited Sci-Fi Channel version or full episodes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2006 8:18:34 PM PDT
Giggleloop says:
Does anyone know if these will be the entire full episodes aired in the UK, or the Sci-Fi Channel edits? (apparently some scenes were trimmed for running time for us in the US)
Also, will we ever get this Christmas special that's mentioned over here?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2006 8:47:05 AM PDT
KBex says:
I'm under the impression that they will be the full versions. The US is getting a the Canadian release for the most part, and since it does have the BBC label I would safely assume it has the BBC cuts. The DVD was supposed to be released out here before SciFi had plans to show it, anyway, so I don't think their cuts will affect the DVD.

I doubt we'll get the Christmas Special if the second series isn't aired out here. It's being grouped with the second season episodes so it's a safe bet it will be on that DVD set.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2006 2:24:37 PM PDT
hello:

I have found something odd. There appears to be different version for each market. The version for the CBC more or less matches the UK version but he Sc-fi version has a few more minutes of thing in them. I'm comparing my cbc version aginst my download BBC version and the US version and there seems be a few extra minutes in the US version!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2006 8:25:21 AM PDT
The Master says:
The product description of 545 minutes divided by 13 episodes gives us 41.9 minutes per episode. It looks like it is a trimmed version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2006 10:43:14 AM PDT
J. Fennick says:
"The Christmas Invasion" is part of Season 2 technically (episode 0) so if/when the SciFi Channel picks up Series 2, then they should be airing that as well. In the UK, it was part of the Series 2 dvd set so if/when it's ever released here, same deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2006 5:04:18 PM PDT
Wendy says:
The British version (Region 2) on amazon.co.uk is 585 minutes (or 45 minutes a show), so it looks like we Yanks are missing out of a few minutes of show. Howvever, it not not near the amountof show cut on the Spooks/MI-5 shown on A & E!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2006 6:11:12 AM PDT
A. Bansak says:
I just purchased this set yesterday... the actual packaging says 585 minutes, so Amazon's description appears to be incorrect... which means we have the uncut UK verson :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2006 5:28:13 PM PDT
Todd Green says:
It's the UK version. Officially the BBC releases the same DVDs, with no cuts or added features, to the US and UK. More DVD details at:

home.comcast.net/~smanfred/Latest.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2006 8:05:31 AM PDT
Funny. They can load the DVD with a bunch of worthless extras and charge an outrageous price, but they can't give us the full unedited versions of the story. My suggestion is to find it on DVD-R from someone that recorded it from the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2006 12:03:56 PM PDT
B. Cromer says:
These DVDs were authored by the BBC in the UK and are a straight conversion of the UK DVDs to Region 1 NTSC DVDs. The content with the exception of the addition of US required logos and trailers are exactly the same. And regarding MI-5 in case anyone gets the wrong impression, the BBC version is the full UK transmission version with the title treatment on each master edited to reflect A&E's title.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2006 10:29:18 AM PST
Neal Vincent says:
Actually, the UK transmission versions weren't uncut... When the show originally aired on TV in the UK some minor edits were made due to the family-friendly 7pm time-slot. The shows weren't cut by the BBC - instead, the show's creators elected to omit certain material that could've been too grisly for younger viewers.

The bare-bones UK DVD releases (in separate volumes) were the TV versions, as aired, but the complete series box-set contained uncut versions.

The easiest way to tell is to check the two-part story The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances. If you hear bone-crunching sounds when the gas-mask transformations happen then you're watching the uncut version - these sounds were omitted on the broadcast version in order to lessen the horror.

I expect the US DVD releases will be identical to the UK releases, so the difference between the individual volumes vs box-set versions might still be present. And the same may well be true of the season two DVD releases...

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 6:37:08 PM PDT
Rusko says:
Hello here, I'm planning to buy these DVD's for my collection, and now I'm reading this... The US & UK separate volumes are the same, but the UK Box Set is the "uncut"? So which version would you recommend me to buy? Thanks everyone!

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 8:55:32 AM PDT
Both the US and UK DVDs are the same, full-length episodes. The only difference is that the US is Region 1 NTSC and the UK is Region 2 PAL... if you have a region free DVD player I definitely suggest you get the complete series 1-4 collection from Amazon.co.uk since it's much cheaper than you'll EVER see the Brand New US DVDs.

I hope this helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 1:54:32 PM PDT
Rusko says:
Oh thanks Emmitt! I do have a region free DVD player, so I'll better buy the Box Set :D I read somewhere that the Box Set has the Confidential episodes "cut-down", is that in every DVD release? Or it only happens in the box set? Thank you again!

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 5:40:51 AM PDT
As far as I'm aware every version of the Doctor Who series sets only have the cutdowns of the Confidential episodes with a lot of the footage from the full Confidential episodes existing as other bonus features on the discs (the box set of 1-4 is exactly the same as the original series' releases except that the discs are in plastic cases as opposed to the foldable cardboard ones)... only the David Tennant specials set has all 5 of those episodes' Confidentials in their full, unedited glory.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2011 5:47:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2011 5:47:39 AM PDT
Rusko says:
Awesome! Thank you for you help, yesterday I ordered the Box Set from Amazon UK, only 70$!!! For the 23-disc set... here in Amazon would cost me 130$ and I checked in BBCAmerica.com store and EACH season is 100$ :O Thieves! Still need the Complete Specials on BluRay ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2006
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Doctor Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang [Region 2]
Doctor Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang [Region 2] by William Hartnell (DVD)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (95)