Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

UK Edition Harry Potter ebooks unavailable to US Kindle readers.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 29, 2012 6:43:56 PM PDT
Is anyone else upset that we can't buy the UK Edition of these Harry Potter ebooks here in the states? I dont want to read the dumbed-down Americanized version, but they won't sell it to me because I live in the US. So frustrating.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 7:23:02 PM PDT
I am soooooo upset by this! I am tired of the American version, I want the real version where whole paragraphs weren't rewritten.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 7:32:13 PM PDT
Kim says:
I would love the 1st book in UK version (philosophers stone), it has the most changes from the original one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 7:34:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 7:35:19 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
I don't think whole paragraphs were ever rewritten. There are sites out there, like the HP lexicon, that has tracked all of the variations between the US and UK versions and they never mentioned full paragraph changes.

Regardless, it's a copyright/licensing issue--and issue more easily subverted when you deal with physical items that can easily be shipped from overseas.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 12:15:06 PM PDT
G00fnar0und says:
I will not buy the american ebook because I already own them in hard copy. But I would buy the UK in ebook just to reread a little different.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 1:21:47 PM PDT
It always amuses me that there are 'translation' changes between countries like the UK and the US, begs the question as to WHY?

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:36:03 PM PDT
I would much prefer the UK versions.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:06:20 PM PDT
I would like them to be available. I have CoS from UK but would like to read the series. In fact that would entice me to get the kindle version more. Right now, I am debating since I have multiple sets already :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 5:13:46 PM PDT
I agree! Especially considering how many books we read that are from British writers and vice versa. I grew up reading British literature as well as American. Why shouldn't younger generations? The differences in culture and language are one thing that make reading interesting! And would not have changed the story at all. Ridikulus!

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 6:16:35 PM PDT
C. Hill says:
When I purchased the UK version of the books I had to purchase them from http://amazon.com. I purchased the US version from the Bloomsbury website. Perhaps if we let them know of the concern, Bloomsbury will make them available to anyone who chooses to purchase them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 1:45:58 AM PDT
another thing that amuses me is the fact that publishers are 'updating language' used to books to appeal to the new generation. Particularly with the Edin Blyton books such as Famous Five. Didn't go down well.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 3:49:43 PM PDT
C. Berger says:
Since I can't get the UK version in Kindle I guess I will stick with my hardcover set-bought from amazon.uk. Why would I want a dumbed down version?

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 6:59:29 PM PDT
Here are the changes between UK and US in Half-Blood Prince, per the Harry Potter Lexicon. You decide if they are "dumbed down" or just slightly different. http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/hbp/differences-hbp.html

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 3:13:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2012 3:15:45 AM PDT
I think she's talking more about the early books, before J.K. Rowling had the influence to stop them from taking out all of the British slang, terminology, and such. The early books are almost entirely Americanized, which could be defined as "dumbed down", since it's done partly on the assumption that Americans are somehow too ignorant or simply too stupid to understand and enjoy writing in British English. It's a bit insulting, in all honesty. By the time Half-Blood Prince came around, much of the British words and phrases were staying in, and the editing and changes were thus far more minor. Look at the differences in Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone, and you'll see what I mean. I suggest you start with the significance of the title and its change, though it may take a slight amount of research.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 7:59:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 9, 2012 8:05:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 8:05:33 PM PDT
L. Wright says:
Found this info at dearauthor.com, in case anyone wants to try it out!

OK. I was able to figure out how to buy the UK version of the HP books when you have a US account. You will need 2 Pottermore Store accounts. You will need your main US one to buy the book and a second UK one to get the books. So you will need 2 e-mail addresses.

1) Set up your main US account. This one will be where you buy the GB version.

2) Change the Book Language to English(GB). Not the site language, the book language.

3) You won't be able to use the buy button. Use the gift link just below the buy button.

4) Send the gift to yourself at a different e-mail address. Use UK as that gift recipients country.

5) You can now check out as normal using your US credit card.

6) Set up a second Pottermore Store account with the other email address, but this time select UK as the country of residence.

7) You will get the gift code in that email account you set when you bought the gift. Use that code to accept the gift in your second Pottermore account.

8) You will now have the UK version of the book. :) Go ahead and link your Amazon account and send it off to your Kindle. Even though it's a US Amazon account it works just fine. You will get Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. YAY!!! :) In fact I now have both in my account with no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 1:58:53 PM PDT
Yes. I refused to buy the Americanized version of the novels, spending extra to get hardback editions of the proper British versions, and I will not purchase the Americanized trash for Kindle, either.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 1:47:34 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 9:09:07 AM PDT
RapieRicky says:
I do not believe that it's done on any sort of the assumption that Americans "are somehow too ignorant or simply too stupid to understand and enjoy writing in British English." The reason it was translated is because The U.S. has differences in the language, and it was thought as appropriate to change the difference to suit the Americanized version of the language.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 12:55:59 PM PDT
You pretty much just said the same thing I did, in a different way. You need to ask yourself, why would they feel it was "appropriate" to remove or change all the British words and phrases unless there were concerns that people "wouldn't understand" or "wouldn't read it with them in", and so on? Isn't it an awful lot of work to go through, UNLESS you assume that your potential readers are so stupid that they'd turn their nose up at the books if they weren't "Americanized"? In other words, it really does come back to the assumption that Americans are either stupid or ignorant. There is NO other explanation for one change especially: the philosopher's/sorcerer's switcharoo. The two don't even mean the same thing. But, Americans are too "stupid" to know the difference, or what a philosopher is in relation to the story, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 2:41:06 PM PDT
"There is NO other explanation for one change especially: the philosopher's/sorcerer's switcharoo."

Lacking some actual explanation by those who made the changes, I don't agree that you have eliminated all other possible explanations. Many years ago George Bernard Shaw said "England and America are two countries separated by a common language." A recognition that the two countries commonly use different terminology is not an indication of which is to be assumed smarter. Another potential reason is that the changes may have been made with consideration to which terms may appeal more to younger audiences (i.e. a marketing decision). In the end, lacking some official explanation, we are merely engaging in assumptions of their motives.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 5:45:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2012 5:48:19 PM PDT
silmarie says:
L. Wright, I want to say thank you for posting how to get around this and get the UK version of the Harry Potter ebooks. It worked for me as well :-) Will be reading the Philisopher's Stone this weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 7:39:01 PM PDT
Radoico says:
Would you prefer to read Shakespeare and Jane Austen also "americanized"? I don't believe that Americans can't understand British authors... I think that the real reason is that American Editors wouldn't like to be out of the market: if the books were the same, why not to buy only UK books, then?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 1:46:08 PM PDT
It worked!!!! Thank you so much! I am so excited to have gotten the UK versions!!!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 3:35:17 PM PDT
Crystal H says:
It worked for me too! Thanks for posting the solution. I am glad that I was able to get the British version of the set for only a little bit more than it would have been for the American set.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  49
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Mar 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - August 1, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars (19,601)