5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional value for the money
I'll start out by pointing out that this is a $35 microscope. It has its limitations, and I doubt if this model is in use at the CDC. But for the money, it's an excellent buy.

We got this one for our five-year-old son, who enjoys it very much, and is able to use it. He started out with quite a bit of adult guidance, but he is now able to use it by...
Published on February 15, 2010 by Richard Clem

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Birthday
My daughter is very excited about the prospect of this product. However, we have used it twice and both light bulbs have blown. I am concerned about the longevity of the item.
Published on August 11, 2007 by Craig Hamilton

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars fun and easy, but with one problem, June 9, 2008
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
We bought this for our 6-year-old daughter, and she enjoys using it. It is simple enough that she can do it herself. However, within the first hour, the bulb burned out. We replaced it with the spare bulb that came in the box, and that one burned out less than a month later (and we do not use the microscope very much at all, she maybe turns it on a couple of times a week and never for very long). The slides that come with it are not very exciting, but we collected things from the yard to look at, and they showed up well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not overjoyed with the quality but..., January 15, 2008
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
Got this for my 8yo daughter and she has fun with it. In the product description it touts itself as having a die-cast body but in reality, it is mostly plastic and is a rather flimsy piece of equipment. The optics are "cloudy" at best and not very good. I have not experimented much with trying to improve the clarity however we have observed some things under low power with some success. The higher power settings are marginal because the light requirement goes up and the optics are just as bad as the low power setting. The tools are cheesy plastic with a "look of metal" to them. Still, my daughter likes it and that is what counts - she doesn't have anything to compare it to.

For the $35 I paid, I would expect a little bit better of a piece. Maybe I'm expecting too much in remembering the all metal one I had when I was a kid that I wish I still had now.

1.0 out of 5 stars So dissapointing, August 28, 2013
John Elliott (London, England) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
OK, it is cheap and I shouldn't have expected too much:- but it should WORK! We received this microscope today. My 8 year old was so keen to get started using it, so despite wanting to put my feet up, I tried to set it up and focus some of the sample slides for him. First impressions was that the microscope was a bit cheap and nasty, compared to what you could have expected 30 years ago, but I've seen worse. The fine focus feature is particularly awful (can't manufacturers provide a nice metal thread type adjustment with a decent knurled knob anymore?). Anyhow, that didn't matter as the lenses are just rubbish, they're full of blemishes, so even if you could focus on something on the slides, you don't know if your seeing the sample or the blemishes. Please, please could the manufacturers withdraw this product and concentrate their efforts on other "toys" that could earn them big bucks. The saddest thing about this is that rather than fostering enthusiasm, it will do much, much more to discourage children with an interest in science.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, June 10, 2007
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
I got this as a gift for a college student and he enjoys it. It has some plastic parts that make it seem cheap but for having fun looking at things it is the perfect microscope. The accessories are really poorly made, but the microscope its self is nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Magnification power not as claimed, July 27, 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I am Disappointed,
This microscope is missing several parts that was claimed to be included in the kit (such as the adjustable diaphragm) Not only that, the 600x lens is really only a 400x lens. Although the price was low, the product does not live up to expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter microscope set for the price., July 20, 2012
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
I got this microscope for my 10 year old son. He thinks it is pretty cool we have gotten it out several times. The best thing about this microscope is that it comes with an extra 20x eyepiece which allows you to go all the way up to 600x magnification. Most other microscopes I looked at in this price range only went up to 60x or 80x, which pales in comparison to the magnification this one is capable of.

It comes with a few prepared slides, which is nice because you can have something cool to look at right out of the box. The microscope does have a hinge where the base hooks on that allows you to tilt the microscope at an angle for easier viewing. While this feature is nice, it does allow for some "wobblyness" in the microscope, which makes it difficult to look at anything unless the table the microscope is sitting on is perfectly still. If there is someone else walking around in the room, the vibrations from the footsteps are enough to make the microscope wobble and impede your ability to see anything clearly through it. This is why it only gets 4 stars in this review.

FYI, it requires 2 AA batteries which are not included. All in all though, it is a good microscope for the money and comes with a decent group of extras so you can make your own slides. I would buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
I returned this microscope. I didn't expect much for the low price, but it was not even usable. The premade slides were scratched. I found it almost impossible to focus in on anything. You get what you pay for!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son LOVES this microscope!, January 28, 2012
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
My 6 year old son loves science! He really wanted a microscope to investigate everyday things. We read reviews and chose the Education Insights Micropro 48. While it is not a high end scientific instrument, it does a great job magnifying objects. It is very easy to use...after just a few minutes he was able to change out the slides and find the objects through the microscope. The lenses are also very easy to switch out. This has been the perfect first microscope! The only complaint that I have is that it would be nice to have a traveling case. He's done a great job at putting it back into the box each time, but this is very tedious work for a 6 year old boy!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Both my girls loved this, July 15, 2011
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
I purchased this based on other reviews and I am not disappointed. My 9 and 6 year old girls have spent hours playing with it. Many things have gone on the slides to be examined. The specimen collecting items from the kit were a big hit. The quality of the microscope is good for the price. Some of the accessories are flimsy, but my children do not seem to mind. If their passion for chemistry continues I will purchase a stronger microscope in a few years.

4.0 out of 5 stars microscope, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Educational Insights Micropro (Toy)
its more than just a toy. it has great magnification. the microscope was easy to set up. the instruction booklet is very helpful and is very easy to understand. i use this to test my horses for parasites. before deworming them. it was pretty fun setting up the slides and looking at them just like the veterinarians do and i saved money by doing it myself. a must have for horse owners who are trying to cut back on that vet bill.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›