Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on February 20, 2010
Do not buy. My wife picked this up to teach a lesson for the solar system and shadows. She kept telling me she was having trouble putting in the C sized batteries, so I got home and tried to figure it out myself. They won't fit, at least not with the door closed. I ended up building an AC adapter to work with it for her lesson, but it was very unimpressive. Not something that's going to wow a principal or kids for that matter.

It's got a standard C cell flashlight battery for the sun and it's really dim even when dialed into the recommended settings. Once the lesson was over we resolved to never use it again.
on January 22, 2007
This looked like a really neat way for our kids to learn more about the solar system. It even comes with a chart to (roughly) align the planets in relation to each other according to time of year. The planetarium feature is a bit dim - I can see the constellations, but can't read the names. Our motor feature doesn't work - the planets do not revolve. We haven't gotten around to sending it back yet. If we get one that works, I would give it a higher rating.
on February 10, 2013
Planets do not move. Faulty motor that makes a horrible screeching sound but does not move the planets. Got this for for my girlfriends 6 year old child who has cerebral palsy and who loves space. Can't tell you what a disappointment it was. Do not buy this product.
on September 16, 2010
My 4 year old wanted glow in the dark planets to hang from the ceiling, but I couldn't find anything I was happy with in this price range. We love this toy and had fun putting it together. With a 4 year old "helping" it took about 5 minutes to assemble, and I had absolutely no problems. After assembly, you'll need a minimum of 30 inches of space for the planets to rotate properly. The planets do not move at different speeds, and some of the planets don't exactly look as they should, i.e. earth is just colored dark blue. You can operate the toy with just the sun lamp (constellation lamp), just the planet rotation, or both together. The motor for the planet rotation is pretty loud. Overall we like it and my 4 year old insists on falling asleep with the constellation lamp turned on.
on June 28, 2015
Great item for young kids who likes planets etc. Son loves this. Serves it purpose to show how a planet orbits the Sun. The individual planets do not spin in their own orbit...AGAIN...they simply orbit around the Sun. Nothing fancy. Great teaching tool.
review image
on May 4, 2011
Another case of you-get-what-you-pay for. Cheap quality, planets have so little (or so poorly done) detail that you almost can't tell them apart except for Jupiter and Saturn. My son keeps thinking Earth is Neptune. Also, the planets do NOT rotate at different speeds, which in my mind is a terrible "education", so for that alone it deserves 1 star. They all rotate together. All you can do is adjust at what diameter around the run the planet should be in, and that's it! Boring. It's also incredible cheap sounding and borders on "noisy". I did not have problems putting in the C batteries, but for having 4 C batteries I would expect the Sun to be a bit brighter...it's very dim. Overall, I'm very disappointed and will be returning it after I find a better one. If I find something better I will come back and update this post.
on January 12, 2013
This item is so cool in concept but has a long way to go in reality. It is bulky and the cord falls out of the base all the time, thus rendering it unusable. Also, it makes a very loud whirring sound while in use. I had bought for my 6-7 yr old to learn about our solar system and fall asleep watching at night but it is TOO loud and faulty for that.
on December 25, 2010
We were really excited about giving this to our son for christmas, he loves the solar system..... Unfortunately ths thing is a lemon. The rods that hold the planet were bent so the planets would not line up properly, and would collide if the paths crossed. The motorized feature rotated the planets but not in the proper relation to each other, detracting from its educational value. There really is no point in purchasing this unless you don't mind using it as a stationary display, otherwise its worthless.
on December 25, 2010
This toy is very cheaply made. It uses C bateries but not indicated anywhere in the box ormanuals. The sun is made of two piece cheap plastic that don't fit together properly, so, one part keeps falling off unless you tape it with clear tape. The planets are outside the range of light so there are no useful shadows. The rotation produces a fairly laud motorized sound. Also the bulb burned in less than an hour and the fact that it came with an extra bulb, does mean that you can expect the second bulb to burn in no time as well. Ultimately, this toy is a lame waste of money, a good idea with lausy production from China that really belong to the shelves of a "DOLAR STORE".
on May 7, 2013
We had originally purchased a mini version of this model and our baby broke it, so we wanted to graduate to the larger model here. The picture looks great... each planet is completely painted and looks really cool. Wrong. The planets in the actual kit are glow in the dark plastic with some painted streaks here and there, so in daylight they look like whitish-green plastic balls with some wavy paint marks on them and stripes for the larger planets. At night, they don't glow much. To boot, the motor sounds like a chainsaw so we don't even run it. Very disappointed.