5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Preschoolers and Familytime!
Published on September 18, 2011 by Cherise Kachelmuss

3.0 out of 5 stars A Dissenting View
After reading all the glowing reviews on here, I almost wonder if we are playing the same game as everyone else. I love to play boardgames and I love to play with my kids, but the fact is, there really isn't much of an actual "game" to play here.

Published on January 5, 2012 by Posterboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Preschoolers and Familytime!, September 18, 2011
This review is from: Educational Insights The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game (Toy)
I am all about games that are not only fun for my husband and I but that we can also play with our boys who are 3 and 4. Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is one of those games. First off, the sturdy box it comes it actually acts as part of the gameboard, which is nice. There is no money to deal with or cards to read either which makes it perfect for young kids. The object of the game is to fill your log with all five colored acorns to feed the hungry squirrels in the winter!

To play the game all you do is give each player a log piece which they have to fill with five acorns, dump all the acorns in the game box and then each player takes turn spinning the spinner to see what their move should be. The spots on the spinner are relatively simple: Pick an acorn of a specific color, Pick any 1 acorn, Pick any 2 acorns, Steal an acorn from another player, Skip your turn, and Loose all your acorns. You use adorable squirrel plastic tweezers, which are very simple and perfect for little hands.

Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is a game perfect for preschoolers to develop matching skills, develop fine motor skills, social skills of taking turns and strategic thinking skills. Kids are not only learning their colors, but learning decision making as they pick which acorn they need and learn good sportsmanship when their turn is skipped. It really is a cute game perfect for both boys and girls. My boys love the squirrel tweezers the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game For Strengthening Fine Motor Skills, October 10, 2011
My daughter (4) absolutely loves this game. I chose it because the tweezers would help strengthen her fine motor skills - she also has to be sure to pick up the acorn the correct way or she finds she can't set it on it's stump. The illustrations are lovely and there's enough "variety" on the spinner (wind blows away your acorns, sad squirrel (other player takes a acorn), sneaky squirrel, one acorn or two) to keep the game lively and constantly changing. The game is also quite durable. My daughter tried to cram the acorn into it's hole instead of setting it on top. I had to pry it out but amazingly it didn't damage the stump at all. Phew! This game is definitely going to become part of my "birthday party gift list" for other children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutest game ever!!, August 26, 2011
This is THE cutest game I have ever played!!! It is truly a piece of art with it's beautiful illustrations and adorable high quality pieces. And it's also a very fun game. My 3 and 5 year old boys really like playing it and really enjoy using the squirrel to pick up the acorns. It's also pretty enough to give as birthday gifts - love it! Highly recommend!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Dissenting View, January 5, 2012

On your turn, you spin the spinner, pick up an acorn of the matching color using the "squirrel tweezers", and then place the acorn in the matching colored hole in your cardboard stump. You turn then ends and the next player spins. If you already have blue acorn and the spinner lands on blue, you pass. The other potential results on the spinner are: lose all your acorns, steal an acorn from someone else, lose your turn, pick 1 acorn of any color, and pick 2 acorns of any color. When someone gets all 5 colors of acorns in their stump, they win.

zzzzzzz.....

I'll give 3-stars because the components are nice/cute and my 3&1/2 year old seems to enjoy using the squirrel tweezers. Then again, she would probably enjoy me scattering the 20 acorns around the room and her picking them up with the tweezers and putting them back in the box just as much. Sad to say, this would be a 2-star game without the tweezers to play with, even though they don't have any function other than to slow-down the process of picking up an acorn. There just isn't much of an actual game here. The only decision of any note that gets made in the entire game is who to steal an acorn from on the infrequent occasion that the spinner allows that action. Other than that, you might as well save your money and just play another round of Candyland instead.

If you want a much better matching/learning game for young kids, we started playing ZINGO at about age 3, and Zingo is actually fun for adults as well (unlike this). For even younger kids, puzzles are awesome and a great first set is one of the Melissa & Dougs "in a box" 4 pack of 12-piece wood jigsaw puzzles (we have the deluxe construction in a box and started at about age 2. There are other themes as well). At 3&1/2, my daughter has been playing with the CASTLE LOGIX blocks solo-game, and its exciting to see the gears in her brain turn as she tries to figure out how to put the 7 blocks together to match the picture. Next up will probably be KIDS OF CARCASSONNE at 4-ish. In other words, there are lots of great games for kids, but unfortunately, this is not one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Speech or Occupational Therapy!, June 30, 2014
I am a school-based speech therapist and I received this game gratis from Educational Insights in exchange for an honest review.

The game play of The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game! follows the same principle of play as Hi-Ho-Cherry-O, but adds some additional educational components, which makes it a great choice for young children.

The object of the game is simple: collect different-colored acorns from the tree to fill up your tree stump. Once you have collected all five colors, you win. A spinner dictates which color acorn you get to collect. But watch out -- if you get the storm cloud all your acorns get blown back onto the tree. And if you get the sad squirrel, you lose a turn. Also beware of the thieving squirrel that allows other players to steal one of your acorns from your tree stump. If you get lucky, your spinner will land on a color, a "1", or a "2", which are the fields needed to pick acorns. The recommended age range is 3 years and up, but I played this with language-delayed third-graders and they still liked it.

Not only does this game work on counting and color-matching skills, but there are other educational aspects. The thing that really differentiates this game from Hi-Ho Cherry-O is the fine motor component: on their turn, players use the plastic squirrel tongs to pick up the acorns. This really allows them to work on their hand strength and fine motor control while playing!

I find that the pieces in this game don't get lost as easily as the cherries in Hi-Ho Cherry-O as they are a little bigger and can be easily counted during clean-up (there should be four of each color) to make sure they're all still there. The game components are also higher quality and the acorns have a rubber-y texture to them.

This would make a great game for preschool SLPs as well as Occupational Therapists! Or of course for any household with young children. I uploaded a couple of customer pictures, please take a look!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST game EVER!, May 27, 2011
This is my all time favorite children's game. You will NOT be disappointed! This super cute game is also highly educational. It will help with your child's fine motor skills, color coding/matching, spatial skills, taking turns, strategy, and more! My 4 year old asks to play this almost every day. I love the bright colors and the high quality of the materials. The acorns are made from a tough rubber so they are very indestructible. The "wood" logs are made of a heavy duty cardboard and are really pretty sturdy. We have not had any bent or marred yet. I can't say enough good things about this game- I wish we could buy it for all of the teachers we know. WELL worth the cost. Very creative idea.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, says the 4-year-old, August 1, 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Because of all of the positive reviews, we purchased this game for my son's 4th birthday. The game is visually appealing, the acorns and squirrel are great quality, although the cardboard parts - tree, stumps and spinner - with regular use would probably not last long enough to make it to a garage sale.
I had really high hopes but after playing just one round of this game, my son declared it was boring and I now have to bribe him or make up my own crazy rules to get him to play it with me.
He's right though, this game is really boring. You spin the dial and either pick a colored acorn and use the squirrel tweezers to stick it in your stump, miss a turn, steal somebody else's acorns, or dump them all back in and start over because the wind has blown them away. That's it. Not very fun for adults, and according to my son, not fun for kids either.
I can see how some children would like it, but it depends heavily on their personality, motor skills and color recognition. My son would have loved this at age two but he's already mastered the skills and now he's into imaginative, active play which this game has none of.
I'm not saying the people who gave this game 5 stars are wrong, I'm just giving an alternate opinion because for some children this game will be a real crowd-pleaser and for others, it will be just as tedious for them as it is for adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this game!!!, March 11, 2012
As a preschool special education teacher, I'm constantly looking for games and activities that will encourage my children academically and socially. This game is perfect. Children have to identify five colors, numbers one and two, and some counting. Socially the children have to pass the squirrel, take turns and follow basic directions. I also love the fine motor aspect to this of using the squirrel to pick up the acorns. Great game for any therapist and family to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly fun for such a simple concept, February 26, 2012
My son (4.5) and nephew (almost 7) dubbed this game "the coolest game, ever!" It would not have expected two active boys to be so enthralled with this seemingly simple game, but they love the cuteness of it and especially they love it when they land on "sneaky" squirrel and can steal someone else's nut!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent toy for developing fine motor skills, February 18, 2012
I am a pediatric occupational therapist and find this toy very useful for children in my practice who need to work on fine motor coordination, hand strength and motor planning. I hope other therapists will see this review and consider purchasing it for their practice. The manufacturers should also consider promoting this aspect of their product.

Educational Insights The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game