4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Innovative

2.0 out of 5 stars not so challenging
Published on May 16, 2010 by Florence

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Innovative, January 20, 2010
Robert Gaffney (Auburn, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Educational Insights Traverse 20Th Anniversary Edition (Toy)
My bottom line: this game has a lot more depth than you'd initially imagine, yet it can still be played casually. It's a lot of fun, but it's also challenging. It reminds me of checkers in that you can only move one space at a time, except when you jump. It reminds me of chess in that you must use deep strategy to win. It is simple and engaging like checkers yet difficult and robust like chess. Yet, it is really played like neither of those games.

Unlike both of the prior games, you cannot "kill/capture" an opponent's piece. Jumping your opponents' pieces is simply a means to get your pieces across the board more quickly. That's the object - get all your guys across the fastest. And you can jump your own pieces. And you have 4 different kinds of pieces. It sounds deceptively simple or even aimless; however, this is not the case. There is a lot of strategy involved. I thoroughly enjoy the game. (I have yet to play with 4 players. I imagine that adds even more depth to this game.)

This game fits that middle ground I needed for a strategic board game that was neither too light nor too heavy. Traverse rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars fun for everyone, January 8, 2012
We spent many hours playing this game as a family. It can be more challenging (and so not boring) for adults, yet kids can catch on quickly and play too. I also bought one for my third grade classroom as it teaches thinking and problem solving skills in a fun way.

5.0 out of 5 stars chess and checkers mixed, February 23, 2013
Bought Traverse - and enjoyed it tremoundously (did the fact that i won have to do with it???) We love strategy games and while this was more chinese checkers (with elements of Chess in the movement of some pcs) it was fun, the game moved fast and it yet involved some element of planning
Not a terribly high brow mensa game but not a no brainer either

5.0 out of 5 stars Traverse, January 5, 2013
tom (Boulder,, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
Should have bought this years ago. However the game box was squashed pretty badly on one side --game in perfect condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strategy, February 17, 2010
I bought this game for my 8 year old grandson who loves checkers and chess. He loved it. It is not as difficult as chess so everyone in the family could play. It is definitely more challenging to play with 4 players - with 2 players, the game is rather short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Traverse game, August 11, 2009
Good game for critical thinking. I use it in my math class. Students don't realize the math part of it most often.

2.0 out of 5 stars not so challenging, May 16, 2010
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
We bought this game based on all the great reviews and the fact it is for 2-4 people. My daughter and I often play games alone but sometimes Dad joins so it seemed perfect. I wanted something a step down from Chess. Since you don't capture anyone either to move across the board or to win not much happens. Basically each person moves across the board risk free. Whoever gets all their pieces to the other side first wins. Perhaps this seems more challenging once 3-4 players are involved but still there is never a consequence for placing your piece in a vulnerable place. It just takes longer to get across the board.

Educational Insights Traverse 20Th Anniversary Edition