Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on March 12, 2008
This is a great toy for kids and their parents to share. I did the dig with my 5 years old daughter and we both had a blast and got our game room thoroughly dusty. Was totally worth it...

The box includes a block of sand stone that you dig through with a plastic tool and a brush. Both tools were a little small for me but worked fine for my daughter. We added a second tool set from our play-dough set and a regular painting brush so we could both dig together. overall time to complete is about 2 hours if you take it slowly and act like its a real dig (as in don't lift the block and only chip away at it from the top).Once we recovered all the pieces we put it together (definitely requires grownup help here) and it now rests happily on one of her book shelfs.

Overall its a fun activity and the booklet that comes with it is also pretty nice (additional activities and some descriptions of the dinosaur.

Note that the product sold on Amazon is just one box and not all four.
on January 16, 2014
I bought one of these for my son's 6th birthday. He loves that he's able to dig it out of the dirt (plaster) himself.

The tools provided are more than adequate for the job and held up well. I was worried they may break while he was working, but once I saw and felt them I was not worried.

I will say that six years old is probably a little young only because it takes a large amount of time and work to get the parts out.

The reason I rated 4 and not 5 stars was because of how big a pain it is to keep the tail attached once it's all put together. Overall, assembly is not hard and they provide a type of wax to hold the pieces together. The wax works pretty well on all the pieces but the tail. Any time my son picks this up, the tail falls off.

All-in-all, though this is a very good product and the values matches the standard price you find for them.
on May 19, 2011
My 13 y.o. son has toyed with the idea of becoming a Paleontologist, so this was right up his alley. He thoroughly enjoyed excavating the bones from the block of clay and piecing the dinosaur together. Things can get a little dusty in the process, so I would recommend a tray or large towel to contain the clay. Great toy - educational - and kept him busy for a couple of hours.
on July 1, 2012
My 11 year old son and I had good fun with this. I nice way to explore a dinosaur fossil dig in the comfort of an air conditioned room. The model skeleton has much better detail than expected. The tools worked fine, though we did get a bigger paint brush to move the dust easier.
on July 15, 2013
I got this for my 4.5 year old son and he absolutely loved it. He was able to do it himself with minimal supervision. He spent hours doing it over a 3-4 day period and hated to put it down. We ended up gluing some of the bones together rather than just using wax, but the wax worked reasonably well too. Highly recommend this for an unusual and engaging gift!
on May 26, 2013
Isn't this what kids like? Messiness and curiosity fulfilled all in one. My little eight year old archaeologist just loves it, got a couple others similar to this. I give him to do the project in a huge plastic bin and it helps to keep all the sandy mess contained. Only thing is that I wish it was a little bigger, but still really happy with the purchase. Will get more in the future.
on January 2, 2015
Not only was this REALLY difficult to get out of the "rock" (clay brick), the adhesive barely works unless you put A LOT of it on - and it is red! I looks like you shot the poor thing. I will never buy one of these again
on September 20, 2011
I highly recommend this product. It is a little messy, so be prepared. Both my daughters loved working on this and finding the bones. You would here them talking as they used the tool, "Here's another one!". And after finding all the bones, they get to put the dinosaur together and have it on display! This is a product we would purchase another of which is great, because they have other dinosaurs available. Once again a great product from Educational Insights! See my full review here:[...]
on January 16, 2014
I did not know what to expect from this as a gift for my 6 yr. old. I thought it was simply a "dig out the pieces and put together in an hour" gig. Not so! It took him 3 days to dig out and read and build. Will buy more of them again!
on April 6, 2009
This comes as a dry solid block, which is clay with plastic bones embedded. You scrape away the clay with plastic tools provided. This takes patience, or you can wet it and have the clay fall away. I found this fun as an adult, but perhaps slightly tedious. A partner makes it more fun. The wax provided doesn't really hold the bones together securely, so the heavy head kept drooping. Glue might work better.

See 1 answered question