From the Back Cover
Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications, tenth edition
Lorrie R. Gay and Geoff Mills
Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications, tenth edition, is a practical text focused on the skills needed by competent consumers and producers of educational research. The tenth edition includes:
A clear, down-to-earth approach
· The accessible writing style, clear and concise explanations, and humorous tone demystify the research process.
· Tasks are included throughout the text to guide students through the process of creating their own research report.
· Examples of published research are included ineveryresearch methods chapter.
Additional coverage of technology throughout the text including
The Digital Research Tools for the 21st Century feature that introduces novel tools and methods researchers can use to make the process of doing research easier or more efficient like using speech recognition programs to save time transcribing interviews (see Chapter 15).
· A new section on the evaluation of internet sources (see Chapter 3).
· Step-by-step directions for an ERIC EBSCO search that maximizes the power of university library consortium agreements to identify fully online journal articles (Chapter 3).
- Updated chapters on Descriptive and Inferential Statistics (12 and 13) that reflect new versions of SPSS and Excel.
About the Author
A native of Australia, Geoffrey E. Mills received his Diploma of Teaching, Bachelors of Education, and Masters of Education from Curtin University of Technology (Perth, Australia) and was an elementary teacher in “the bush” and the city of Perth before moving to the USA in 1986 to undertake doctoral studies at the University of Oregon. After completing his doctorate, Geoff accepted his first professorial position at Southern Oregon State College (now Southern Oregon University). After 12 years of teaching, Geoff moved into university administration and is now in his eleventh year as Dean and Professor of Education in the School of Education at Southern Oregon University. Geoff has traveled extensively and has given invited research presentations in Australia, New Zealand, Greenland (where he is currently an adjunct professor at the University of Greenland), United Kingdom, Canada, and many states in the US. Geoff us perhaps is best known for this textbook and his other textbook Action Research: A Guide for the Teacher Researcher (now in its 4th edition). Geoff’s wife Donna is also a professor at Southern Oregon University, and their only child, Jonathan, will be a college freshman starting in fall, 2011. Geoff and Donna live in Oregon and continue to teach at Southern Oregon University, but also spend considerable time each year in Australia.