5.0 out of 5 stars A book for grandparents too!, January 9, 2007
Jaimie Bruzenak "Author of Support Your RV L... (Author and RV lifestyle expert either in Arizona or RVing somewhere on the road.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Educational Travel on a Shoestring: Frugal Family Fun and Learning Away from Home (Paperback)
This guide for family travel is a must-have for both parents and grandparents. I wish I had read it prior to a recent spring break visit from my son and family. We went to Disneyland. What a mob scene! Many of the suggestions in this book would have been fun and more meaningful to all of us, as well as less costly and much less stressful.

Authors Judith Waite Allee and Melissa Morgan draw on their own experiences traveling with families plus much research. Their ideas can turn a cross country trip into daily adventures and take the stress out of travel with children. It is overflowing with ideas and resources to make travel educational and fun, whether a long trip or day trips around your own town.

Practical tips for all aspects of travel, from planning and budgeting to extending the memories and learning after the trip are included. Involving children in the planning stages of the trip is in itself a learning project and helps bond families and create a shared history. The book is packed with ideas on where to start.

Allee and Morgan discuss funding your trip and traveling on a budget. Children can participate and learn from this experience too. Budget travel does mean you can have rewarding experiences and lots of fun. Another chapter covers earning money on the road to extend family travel.

Grandparents will find many ideas for traveling with grandchildren, creating special memories without spending a lot of money. The authors mention a couple with an RV taking their young grandchildren across town to a park for the night. The boys still talk about that "camping trip" ten years later.

Even adults traveling without children will get some excellent ideas for enriching their travels. For example, the authors mention that Lake Champlain has a bike path that goes all the way around it. What fun to park your RV or car, head out on bicycles and see museums and historic sites around the lake or do sections in a series of day trips. The area is rich in history; the French and Indian War, the Revolution and War of 1812 were all fought in this area.

Both families and individuals can find volunteer experiences of all types. Some take less than a day while others are longer and could even involve travel overseas.

The Resource Section is extensive. Educational Travel on a Shoestring makes an excellent gift for families. While you are at it, get one for yourselves, both for ideas when the grandkids visit and ways to add interest to your travels.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book LITERALLY Changed My Life, October 10, 2012
You know, its not very often that a book comes along that literally changes your life. In fact, I think this is the only one that has ever come along for me! I bought this book in 2005 on impulse while purchasing some homeschooling books. It came up as a "book you might be interested in", so I added it to my cart.

I should tell you my dream has always been to travel the world. But, reality sort of gets in the way of dreams sometimes, doesn't it? When I read Educational Travel on a Shoestring, one of the case studies involved a family that traveled full time in an RV. I had never heard of such a thing! How does one do that? So this book became the catalyst of our journey to full time RVing. We found a way to earn money on the road, and now we travel when and where we want, showing our kids America while they learn.

My copy sits in a cabinet above my computer in the RV now. Its full of highlighting and dog ears, and its pretty worn out. Since books take up valuable real-estate space in our home on wheels, the fact that its there at all is quite telling! Most of our books are on Kindle.

I had the opportunity to meet one of the authors at a convention a couple years ago. I was a speaker at the convention; she was a participant. The irony is that the subject matter of the convention was the very thing that I had chosen to make our living on the road, which she herself inspired me to do. I quite literally would not have been there if it hadn't been for this book. Isn't it funny how life works out?

Our next stop: international travel, using many of the resources described to us in Educational Travel on a Shoestring.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is Great!, September 22, 2004
I really enjoyed this book on how to save money traveling. There are a lot of good creative & uncommon tips. My website [...] is also listed in this book as a good resource for saving money at restaurants. I was given a copy of this book by the author and I really liked it!

$14.99 $13.21