5.0 out of 5 stars Great play mat
Published on December 12, 2010 by Patrick H. Horn

1.0 out of 5 stars ... smells toxic
This product is not safety rated for under 3 years old. We purchased it and learned after it arrived that it isn't safe for babies. It also smells toxic. They indicated that they changed factories at the start of the year, so older versions may be safe, but the new product is not.
Published on August 2, 2010 by Alexei Chmakov

1.0 out of 5 stars ... smells toxic, August 2, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Great play mat, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Edushape Edu-Tiles 36 Piece 6x6ft Play Mat, Letters & Numbers Set (Baby Product)
We bought a much cheaper and thinner mat initially from Lowes. We later bought this mat for another room. This mat is much thicker, and we were quite impressed with the quality. Needless to say we replaced the thinner mat we had initially with this one and don't regret the change. We'd recommend this mat to anyone considering the purchase of a play mat. And contrary to what ages are listed, there really aren't any small parts, so this would be fine for a toddler. We use it for our 13 month old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hardwoods and hard heads, July 8, 2013
Very great product! We bought a few sets for our make-shift playroom which has hardwoods. My wife was doubtful at first so she banged her head against the floor and then against the tiles. She was won over with only minor head-trauma.

Cleaning dust/dirt/dog fur is usually a bit of a chore, but we find that 3M lint rollers work well though.

Happy Amazon Hunting!

2.0 out of 5 stars nice product---size incorrect!, April 25, 2012
There are 25 pieces, but the size of 60x60 x .5 is NOT correct! It is a 3'x3' play mat NOT a 5'x5' mat as the details suggest. So, although I like the mat it does not cover the 5'x5' space I wanted to cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfy but smelly, February 25, 2011
babymama115 (Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This mat is very cute and very comfy due to the thickness of the tiles. However, there is a strong chemical odor that did not dissipate even after airing out for 2 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thick mat - a bit small though!, December 4, 2013
R T (The Beach) - See all my reviews
During the past 2 years since my son was born we have wasted WAY too much money on foam mats...we've purchased about 6-7 mats from 4 different brands. Of the ones we've purchased this is definitely the best yet.

It's easily the thickest - GREAT padding. Almost all the mats we bought were described as being 0.5" thick - this is the only one that actually is, if not more. I love it. I think I might get their alphabet one since if it's as thick as this the pieces wont start falling out (they'll only come out when my son takes them out). There's no issues with the mat falling apart just because we're walking on it.

On the down side - it's definitely on the pricier side of the ones we've bought while also being the smallest one. If you're looking for a mat for a true play area this will not be big enough - you will need at least 2. They also sell a large alphabet mat that would probably be pretty good for a decent sized play area. I know the listing makes the size clear, but I was still a bit surprised at just how small this is.

The other mats we got were:
Two Norsk Mats - 6 2x2 tiles each; available on amazon in 4pks: Norsk-Stor 240147 Solid Color Recyclamat Multi-Purpose Foam Flooring, Multi-Color, 4-Piece
Best value when bought from certain stores or the Norsk website.
(sold on Amazon in 4-pks - we bought ours at Kmart a while ago in 6pks for $24/each - the best value yet)
These are OK. They aren't as thick as this mat - but the best ones for their price, and thicker than other mats we've bought. They're 15.99 right now on the Norsk website for a 4pk. Stay together well & serve their purpose. If you have a larger area & a smaller budget - you should be good to go with these.

Be wary of their reversible (or any really) mats though - I haven't tried them but with hardwoods I think these would slide around more than the regular ones already do.

The Norsk "Sports" mat
--good mat...not too great for any sort of car play - but will provide padding & protection
We bought this the other day - we went back to Kmart to get more of the ones we have & were sad to see they didn't have them any more, this was the only mat they had so we got it...well it's textured. It has little bumps to it (all the mats are textured - but this one has a design to it - raised nubs basically). Well my son loves hot wheels...and this just does not work with that...it's like non-stop speed bumps and quickly roll over. So he doesn't like ti too much (we're moving it into our garage now instead). But ultimately it is pretty thick & will do the job if you need them to.

We Sell Mats 2x2 6pk: We Sell Mats Anti-Fatigue 6 Piece Interlocking EVA Foam Flooring Set
--OK. Not terrible - but thin & overpriced for what it is.
We just got this. I think it's OK. It's very thin, so not much protection (but it doesn't claim to be .5" so I kinda expected that). I like the colors of it...but to be honest, it was overpriced for what it was.

Tadpoles Mats: Tadpoles 36 Sq Ft ABC Floor Mat, Green/Brown and Tadpoles 16 Sq Ft Playmat Set, Taupe/Brown
--The worst mats we bought - WAY too thin, very little padding & pieces will come apart (the tiles more so than the removable pieces)
These are great if you're just buying it for decor. If you actually intend to walk on it at any point it's a compelte waste - or if your kid will be taking it apart a good bit. The pieces are so thin they don't stay together - so even if my son isn't in the room this thing is falling apart within minutes of me putting it all back together. If you're only going to be using this briefly - this should be fine - but if you intend to use this for more than a month or so - don't bother. I've already thrown away both of these - they were gone by the time my son was 8mths old.

So again - this is the best one we've bought yet....

1.0 out of 5 stars ALL foam mats are toxic for your baby, November 5, 2012
CAUTION!! All EVA foam (foam) play mats are toxic for your baby. There are no standards here in the US to regulate levels of formamide in EVA foam. The testing that is done in China and other parts of Asia are substandard. If the level of formamide doesn't reach a certain number then they are free to call it "formamide free" but it still contains levels of formamide that Europe has determined to be bad since US doesn't regulate that and hasn't conducted any tests. And the companies either hide their test results from the general public or the data sheet contains very general information, such as pass or fail on formamide but never telling you the actual amounts of formamide. All foam playmats have been banned in Europe as of 2011. It is illegal to sell these in Europe now. [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars cute but less functional, December 10, 2009
Ethan's mom (Menlo Park, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this with the 26 pieces letter ones for my 10 month old. They look really cute but the little pieces tend to fall off if pressed (I put them on the carpet). I have to put them at places where baby do not usually go. If you have carpet I would recommend the letters and numbers.

3.0 out of 5 stars made in china, smells chemically, May 25, 2013
G, K, K (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
Thought that this was made in Israel, per Amazon's description, but the product is made in China. Also, there's a strong chemical smell, which made me worried about my son playing on the mat or trying to eat it. Returned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use for blocking knitting., September 20, 2013
N. Kukay (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought these tiles to use when blocking knitted items. They are large enough for shawls, easily adjusted for smaller items and hold pins securely.