Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Color: Translucent|Change

on January 25, 2013
A message from Edushape: After reading the misleading review about Edushape's Sensory Balls, we feel obliged to clarify the misinformation. The product in question has been stringently tested by independent laboratories and deemed safe for six months and up! In fact, Edushape has passed every test criteria exponentially!
Besides being on the market for many, many years as an infant/toddler toy (it is the original sensory ball), they are also used in Pediatric Hospitals, Pediatric Rehabilitation centers and Pediatric Therapy Centers around the world. It doesn't have any off gassing fumes nor release carcinogens, as suggested on one review.
The PVC that Edushape uses is a unique phthalate free, safer and more costly version than common PVC. This is just one reason that separates Edushape's Sensory Balls from the `knock-offs' that are often found in supermarkets bins.
11 comment|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2010
It's infuriating and misleading that these balls are marketed as "phthalate-free." That may be true, but it does NOT mean they are safe! They are made of PVC, a super toxic plastic that off-gases dangerous fumes and releases potentially carcinogenic chemicals! I don't know about you, but I do not want my baby chewing on that!

I had my suspicions about this product's safety when I noticed that the balls have that beach ball "smell." I checked, and, sure enough, discovered the PVC.

It's such a shame that a mother must do detective work in order to confirm the safety of her child's toys!

******************UPDATE: 3/6/2013

If you read the comments for this review, you will see a response from the manufacturer which states that the balls are in fact made with PVC, but that the PVC is "phthalate-free."

After a brief internet search, I discovered that phthalate-free vinyl (PVC, #3) is a small step in the right direction-- but that does not mean that PVC itself is safe. The vinyl chloride used to make PVC is a known carcinogen. Furthermore, the manufacturing process creates and releases dioxins that can be dangerous to factory workers manufacturing the PVC and harmful to the environment. I encourage you to type the phrases "phthalate-free PVC," "PVC," and/or "vinyl chloride" into your search engine of choice. It is quite easy to find information about the safety of PVC and its manufacturing process.

While I do not have the means to test this product for toxicity (and therefore cannot say with 100% certainty that the balls could cause direct harm to children), I stand by my decision to avoid the product due to what I learned about the chemical components and manufacturing process for PVC-- whether it contains phthalates or not. I hope the manufacturer will consider a natural rubber or silicone alternative to these balls, because I would gladly purchase them.

To close, I'd like to respond to a few commenters who have attacked my desire to protect my children from toxins. First, I think it's a shame to attack a mother who is trying to act in the best interest of her children... especially when your attack includes narrow-minded remarks about my being from California. If these comments actually reflect your world view, I feel sorry for you, and I forgive you. It's also apparent that you do not know the facts. I encourage you to read up on this topic! The Environmental Working Group is a great resource and provides links to the research that backs up the organization's claims. Sadly, many people have no idea that everyday products (toys, household cleaners, toiletries, etc.) can contain alarming levels of contaminants and chemicals that are KNOWN to be harmful to humans (proven carcinogens, neurotoxins, endocrine disruptors, etc.) and/or the environment. Some products even contain chemicals that have been banned in Europe and Japan due to their known toxicity.

Yes, it's impossible to avoid ALL toxins... even I admit that! But that fact should not excuse us from caring. It's impossible to completely protect children from injury, but does that mean that people who childproof their homes are paranoid California hippies? Certainly not.

It is my hope that more parents will voice their preference for non-toxic products, and that companies will respond to the rising demand. Until then, I'll be happy to clean my home with vinegar, purchase wooden toys, use body products with a low toxicity rating (btw, there is an authoritative and credible internet database with these ratings), and live with the "California hippie" accusations! You call this behavior "paranoid," but I call it "smart," "fact-based," "intentional." It is borne out of my love for my children, my body, and our planet.
5252 comments|504 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2008
I bought for my almost 3yr old boy who has SPD(sensory processing disorder) and he loves them, as does my 6 yr old son and myself. They are perfect for gripping, rolling, throwing, massaging and they are not sharp or harmful. I only gave 4 stars because it would have been better if they were all different sizes.
on September 14, 2009
I got these for DS's 1st birthday. They are soft but spiky. They bounce and withstand chewing. Since the focus is on Sensory Integration these days I figured these balls would be great for all in the household.

They massage feet, too. :D
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2015
I like the shape of the balls and the texture. Baby loves them. However baby is 6 months old and in total chewing mode (see picture) so I've decided to take them away for a while until she no longer chews on everything. This is still PVC although phthalate free but I ordered some other balls instead. These were suggested by another reviewer and are made out of natural rubber.

I got them at https://www.atterdagkids.com. They are Vulli - Sophie the Giraffe So Pure balls. They look adorable and seem safer for baby to chew on.
review image
on January 22, 2010
We'd had these balls for my son for a very long time, over a year (he's now 20 months), and they are wonderful in so many ways. First, the color selection is perfect. Red, blue, green, and yellow are going to be the first colors most children learn. Here you have an easy teaching tool to use with your child starting at a very young age. Second, the texture is distinctly different yet not unpleasant or unsafe because the spikes are soft (as is each entire ball). Third, because of the soft texture, once your child starts throwing these balls, you don't have to worry about any damage to your home or to your child. Of course, once a child can really get some lift on his throws, there could be trouble! Lastly, unlike most of my son's other toys, these balls have been steadily used since they were purchased, and I expect their appeal to continue to be strong for some time to come.

Every day now, my son is picking up these balls and throwing them back and forth with us. He always smiles and laughs when he does so, and that's a beautiful thing to see. I highly recommend these for anyone with a baby. You'll get a ton of use out of them.
on February 1, 2010
Got these for my daughter's first birthday. They are easy to pick up and hold, and interesting because of the bright colors and bumps. I think they are a good choice. I think another reviewer said something about the bumps being "sharp", but I don't think so. Perfectly fine for 6 months & up, I'd say.
on June 24, 2009
My 1 year old loves it when we take off his shirt and roll these down his back and sides. They are small enough for him to pick up with both hands and he loves the feel. The balls seem to be well made and have a valve like a basket ball to fill them with more air if desired. Recommend to anyone.
on March 7, 2011
We have twins and they just love these ever since they were able to pick them up for the first time,.
they are 16 months old now and like to play with these in the bath tub, and the best part is they don't fill up with water!
on July 21, 2014
My son is all about balls, balls, balls. We've had these for about a year and he loves them. We don't have to worry too much about breakage in the house with these, as they are pretty small and light. The sensory nature is great for smaller babies, but it grows with them.