4.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing!
Published on June 10, 2012 by Selena Kitt

First of all....I just need to say that this book should not have been named "Eerie" for I felt it was never close to being 'eerie spooky'....just basically a strange 'what is under the bed' story that had some intriguing ideas but fell short with a totally bizarre ending that left me a little cold and disappointed.

I was really looking forward to a good ghost...
Published on July 30, 2012 by Tracy L. Walters

4.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing!, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
I devoured this book and it kept me on the edge of my seat, turning pages as fast as I could to see what was going to happen next! Although it's billed as a horror-slash-ghost story, it's neither, but in some ways, it is both. Puzzled? That's ok, that's how it's supposed to be, and when you get to the end, you'll forgive the authors their trespasses, because this story is THAT good. At its core, it explores love and family connection and even the meaning of our existence to the depths most novels just gloss over or shy away from. At times poignant and heart-wrenching, it is, without a doubt, utterly mind-blowing. And just when you think you might have things figured out, the world turns upside down. Again. Thank you to Blake Crouch (always a great read!) and Jordan Crouch (I look forward to more!) for a fantastic ride. Even the interview between brothers, talking about writing two main character siblings, was a joy to read. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer Ghost Stories Hit big with ERRIE, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
Who hasn't thought something might be hiding under the bed? Imagine finding out that you were right! And that something has the power to capture your mind and make you do things... horrible things. ERRIE, latest Crouch novel, takes the reader there and all around the greater Seattle area as the story unfolds. I enjoyed this fast-paced novel and the surprise twist at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Page turner - though ending was not, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
I love Blake Crouch, and I was thrilled when he sent me his latest release for review. EERIE is a joint effort between the Crouch brothers, Blank and Jordan. If you like a fast paced book, then this if for you.

**Don't take any of my comments in such a way that I didn't like the book - I did. It was the ending that left me blank.**

Blake Crouch is a Plot writer -- which works well. He is able to weave suspense and mystery into the scene. While this does indeed have suspense, it was not as well done as previous books I have read by the same author.

EERIE starts with the back story. Two children, whose mother has died, suddenly find themselves on their own when their fathers car hits a truck head on. Flash forward 20+ years. The boy is now a man on the police force, investigating a mysterious disappearance. Per chance he reconnects with his younger sister but he soon becomes trapped in the same supernatural web that is slowly killing her. Seeing his life starting to slip away, he reaches out to the only person he can trust to help them escape the hidden demon under the bed.

++Possible Spoilers++

I found the book a page turner but far from frightening or suspenseful. Although this is a plot driven book, with 2-dimentional characters, it does not take away from the book.

The attempts at fleshing out the characters were for the most part unsuccessful. (again, not a detriment to the book) The romantic interest in the book was ambiguous. In fact, the hints were so subtle, it wasn't made clear until she declared her interest, and even then she declared it to herself. The death of a "close" friend and the grief displayed by the siblings is written but not shown. I wasn't connected to the character so when the friend died -- he just died. I tried to feel bad, after all, A man died. but I just couldn't. And I wasn't really sure of the point of why he was (briefly) in the storyline.

As the story progressed, I got caught up in the what exactly was in the bedroom? And who were these prominent men that seemed to change once they were exposed to the "creature?". The suspense starts to build and I was getting caught up in it. The closer I got to the conclusion, the faster I read.

Then the ending was revealed and all I can say is -- OK. Though the ending tied up the loose ends nicely, I felt disappointed. the ending wasn't happy but it also lacked hope. It just ended.

And I was confused to the logic behind some of the actions in the book:

Why did the location have to change from the house? Wouldn't it have been easier to bring the father to the house? The sister calls for "backup" only to show her true colors by shooting the law officer? And was the only solution to the damaged lives of the grown children was to pull them into the same mystical world where the father had been? (Which was death, or?...)

Don't get my wrong. I really did like the book, but the ending was ...odd. I felt it could have been so much more.

3.0 out of 5 stars First of all....I just need to say that this book should not have been named "Eerie", July 30, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)

I was really looking forward to a good ghost story and this one turned into a something far from that. I did like the characters but they were not fleshed out enough to really care about them. The 'sick' house was a good story line to follow but somehow it just went downhill towards the end.

There was almost a good romance that wanted to blossom but it never got anywhere and that was a bit disappointing also. Overall....the story had some great ideas.....creepy car crash with children (I think that was probably the most haunting part of the book)....something under the bed (that is always a scary thing).....trapped in a house (another claustrophobic intense story line)...BUT....the last quarter of the book became just a bit too bizarre and confusing to really understand what happens and it hurts the book rather than help it. I think if the brothers write another book they should really work on the ending....make it more clean and to the point and not so lost on the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love mind benders!, October 21, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
I like it when I discover another great author to read! This is the first book I have read by Blake and Jordan Crouch. I have just downloaded a second book by Blake Crouch ("Abandon" and so far I am lovin' it). I read some of the prior reviews and apparently some had trouble with the ending. I'm not sure if I would continue to read books if I knew how it ended! I may be wrong but it seems like there could be a sequel to this....at least that is what I got from the ending but even if there is not, it was a good ending because it was unexpected and it makes you ask questions and ponder over it. My mom is here with me and she promptly ordered "The Pines"...after I gushed over "Eerie", which I will get after I finish reading "Abandon". Not everyone will like this book, but I think most will, especially if you like Stephen King, Koonts, or just a damn good book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Eerie, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
While investigating a series of disappearances, a detective is reunited with his estranged sister who may be involved with the case. He sees the state she's in and believes drugs are to blame. She insists there is something under her bed making her ill and preventing her from leaving the brownstone. They must try to figure out what is under the bed before it drains the life from them along with their sanity.

The book was fast paced and well written. There is an obvious supernatural element but not overly done. The ending was not at all what I expected. The writers do an excellent job of keeping you guessing until the end and finish it off with something you won't see coming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 7, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
Our power went out Thursday night, luckily my Kindle was fully charged and I had just downloaded Eerie. I was hooked by the first chapter and read until I couldn't hold my eyes open. Yesterday morning our power was back but I couldn't wait to finish this book. The authors lost me around chapter 38. The book went from what I consider horror to sci-fi just that quick. So disappointed in the ending. Not at all what I expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you remember the monster under your bed??, June 26, 2012
Sarah (Capitola, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
I was really thrilled to get this book. I am a huge Blake Crouch fan and I was looking forward to this first collaboration with his brother, Jordan Crouch. They certainly didn't disappoint me. I started reading this book late one night and couldn't put it down.

From the first chapter, I was captured by the story that started unfolding. At first, it seems like a conventional thriller. A car accident. A brother and sister left orphans. A promise to a sister from her brother to "always take care" of her. Jump to the present, 31 years after the accident. The brother, Grant, is now a detective with the local police department and locates his estranged sister, Paige, by happenstance through a police investigation lead he follows up on. Grant discovers she is now a high priced prostitute for wealthy business men. Grant arranges to meet her posing as a new client. Paige is taken completely by surprise as she opens her front door to find her brother standing on the threshold. She attempts to close the door and shut him out without success. And this is where the conventional part of this thriller ends, as Grant discovers there is something unnatural going on in Paige's bedroom. Something is under her bed...

Do you remember the stories you heard as a child about the monster under your bed? Or the Boogeyman? Well, this story did an outstanding job in transporting me back to that childhood. I was truly unnerved and I admit maybe just a little bit afraid to look under my bed. The progression of this story drew me in page after page with anticipation. I couldn't wait to reach the end to see what monster lay in wait under Paige's bed.

I really did enjoy this book. A lot. Not a typical horror/thriller/gory type story. But I found it creepy and, well, eerie. That was until I got to the end. The end wasn't bad. But it was definitely not what I was expecting and I was a tad bit disappointed. I won't say anymore then that so I don't spoil it for anyone.

Overall, I feel this book is definitely worth reading. The ending will appeal to some and for others, like me, it may not. If you haven't read any of Blake Crouch's books, you really should. He is a fabulous writer and story teller.

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing story..., November 17, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
That pulls you in from the start! I've recommended it as a must read to all my friends, and I've searched out more books by this author because of this reading experience. Usually I limit my reading to a certain time each day. I could not follow my own set rules with this book,though. A fast read, for sure. This psychological thriller with supernatural elements was an adventure in literature for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like the ending..., June 18, 2012
This review is from: Eerie (Kindle Edition)
I have read everything Blake has written and have LOVED all of it...but the ending of this book left me wanting more. For me, it just wasnt't enough. I loved 95% of the book..it kept me interested and it was very fast moving. However, the ending for me just sputtered out...I was wanting gore and horror and it's not what I got. Still a great read, just a bit of a let down for me.

Eerie
Eerie by Blake Crouch (Paperback - June 8, 2012)
$13.95 $12.04