5.0 out of 5 stars So excited this is coming out as a set!!!
I have been waiting for this set since 2008, this is an amazing series. It's short but they cram a lot of content into each episode. The japanese voice actors are awesome but i'm excitied to hear it dubbed in english.

Published on November 26, 2011 by J. Kach

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
I bought this anime looking for a great story because the description intrigued me... Man was i wrong! This has to be one of the most boring anime i have ever seen. Please guys don't bother. I could not get past the 3rd episode i was so bored. Matter of fact i sold it less than two weeks after buying it! You may like this if you like anime like Ah! My Goddess or similar...
Published on July 6, 2012 by Heckler!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So excited this is coming out as a set!!!, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Ef: A Tale of Memories Complete Collection (DVD)

Plot Summary: The anime revolves around two protagonists, Hirono Hiro and Asou Renji. On Christmas Eve, Hirono Hiro meets a girl named Miyamura Miyako who was chasing a purse snatcher. Hiro later finds out that Miyako also goes to the same school as he does and they start hanging out together. This made Hiro's childhood friend, Shindou Kei, feel left out. Kei then tries to compete with Miyako for Hiro's affection and a love triangle ensues. The anime also tells the story of Asou Renji. Renji meets a girl named Shindou Chihiro at an abandoned train station. He soon learns that Chihiro suffers from a type of amnesia where her memory span only lasts for 13 hours. He also discovers Chihiro's dream of writing a novel, but she has never been able to fulfill that dream due to her condition. Renji then decides to help her fulfill that dream.

Highly recommend buying this sereis!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great anime finally released in English!, December 27, 2011
This review is from: Ef: A Tale of Memories Complete Collection (DVD)
I watched this anime a long time ago and it's one of the great ones out there! Like Clannad, it's based on an original visual novel game, "Ef-A Fairytale of the two." It's romantic and psychological. The only thing I don't really like is the sort of "darkness" present in this anime. But I guess that's why the show is so great. The ending is good too, but I won't spoil it. I'm mostly looking forward to hearing the new English dub with many actors I've seen in previous animes released by Sentai. Nagisa Furukawa from Clannad and Haruko Kamio from Air will voice Miyako. Ryou Fujibayashi from Clannad, Ayu from Kanon and Yuri from Angel Beats doing Kei's. Greg Ayres who voices Sunohara from Clannad doing Hiro's. Mizuzu from Air will do Chihiro's voice, Fuko Ibuki from Clannad will do Mizuki's voice, and Yoshino Yusuke from Clannad playing Kazuya's voice (correct me if I got his name wrong). I'm so excited that I know how the characters will sound like before the anime, but too bad we have to wait an entire month until it's released. The opening song (euphoric field sung by ELISA) and second ending song are catchy too. If you buy this anime and it impresses you, don't forget to pick up the sequal season, ef-a tale of melodies which in my opinion, is even darker and kinda more disturbing than this season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Show! Superb English dub!, February 1, 2012
As you may know from hearing about this series, it is bittersweet. The plot flows great so that there is no boring times(except maybe one scene but I think it emphasized emotion)since this is a 12 episode series. Each of the main characters get some screen time and to show there character. The animation is very unique, its not very moving as in active motions but was very good. I felt an emotional/lifestyle connection to the 3 main characters. Some scenes in the story reminded me of some american drama stuff, but they were ten times better which increased my liking to this series.

The english dub shook my thoughts of english dubs. Great cast with a very accurate script.
Greg as Hiro, and Clint as Renji were very very good, it brought up there popularity as both of my favorite actors. People need to open up to understand that these actors expressed there character just like there japanese counterparts. Though I hate other stuff that Serephim dubbed just like everyone else(EX: H.O.T.D had good voices but had an inaccurate script).
Chris, David, and Illich were wonderful as usual. I suspected that Luci would voice Miyako, along with Hillary Hagg voicing Mizuki. Brittney had a very unique voice in this compared to other works which changed my opinion about her in a positive way, Monica Rial brought very good voicing as Chihiro. And I was surprised that Tiffany Grant did a wonderful dub as Renji's mom.

But what is so strange about this dub, is because that the actors used a lot of japanese honorifics in this dub. I don't know if this drops it or gives it a plus for cultural reference. I say this gives it a plus since a lot of visual novel anime series talk about honorifics in there subjects (EX:Clannad, Kanon), plus this is great for sub lovers if they complain about some parts in the script.

This series is good, but don't suspect to find a lot of comedy in this series. There are not a lot. There is some nudity in this of course, but it is very brief.

There are no special extra's in this set, just this wonderful 12 episode series that has a wonderful english dub. And it got me wanting to legally buy the soundtracks of the series. Go get this if you want a bittersweet relationship japan/U.S drama. Ef ~ A Tale of Melodies is coming out as well this year, I don't want to miss it. This series stands tall against Kyoto Animations moe visual novel anime series. Must buy for a emotional anime fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're gonna love it., October 13, 2012
KevinB "The Honey Badger" (High Point, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This is a very serious anime. It is about love and tragedy. It get very involved with the character development and story. There is no action, but it doesn't need it. The drama keeps you glued to it. Everything about this anime is top quality; the animation, voice acting, soundtrack, and plot. ef is a brilliant anime series. If you like Clannad, Kanon, Air, or Angel Beats, this anime will really make you happy. Buy it. You'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, May 15, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by the story line of the title. It was nice viewing an anime without the fan service that substitutes for the lack of an intelligent plot. Will be buying "A Tale of Melodies" at a future date because I enjoyed "A Tale of Memories" so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars kinda surprising, March 15, 2012
i must say that this series really caught me off-guard, i wasn't expecting to get sucked in as far as i did, the story beautiful and i would easily recommend this to my friends and anyone who enjoyed the anime Clannad

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent show that doesn't get lost in its own vision, September 24, 2012
If I were to realistically define Memories with a single thought, it would be - "Romance that is executed to near perfection". If you are a fan of romance and drama, I would have no problem making this recommendation on the basis that I consider it a top contender for "stories that got it right". Memories introduces us to different groups of people that initially have a lot more to do with one another than we are led to believe. The focus of the show is highlighting important and influential moments in the lives of the main characters and how they can relate to one another.

If you are looking for a show that can provide closure while also keeping you on your toes until the very end, this is one of those stories. As a fan of anime, I feel my largest complaint for almost anything on the market today is how open ended stories are. I understand the mentality for doing this, its to create an environment for the viewer to take what they want from a story in order to please the majority. However, I think that this method of writing has less to do with viewer empowerment and is geared more for alleviating an authors inability to commit. Why should people be expected to draw their own conclusions? It is incredibly presumptuous to assume we know more about the characters than the person who envisioned them.

Memories tells a story focusing primarily on five different characters and how they deal with the romance that they don't necessarily understand. The story jumps from one setting to the next and it can be annoying at times if you've found yourself committing to one set of characters instead of investing interest in both. I personally found myself annoyed when I was being directed away from one group to another. I don't know if that's good writing or a bad decision to split into two different stories. I'd have to let you be the judge.

In terms of drama, the story does not disappoint. There are enough cringe inducing scenes to make any of us thankful we are not participants in the story, but its endearing enough to make us feel as if we are there to witness it. If you're looking for an anime that creates suspense and provides a clear ending, this will be perfect for you. If you're looking for a typical harem style show with over the top fan service, I would suggest you go elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Series That Deserves All The Hype!, February 26, 2012
I've heard about ef for a few years now and it always sounded like something I would enjoy. However, so much time went by that I figured it would never get picked up. Luckily for us, Sentai swooped in and picked it up. Not only did they release it on bluray but they also gave it one of the finest dubs in recent memory out of Texas.

First of all, I have to say that the word "Masterpiece" gets thrown around a lot in anime. I've heard it applied more than once to ef and I have to say this is one of the few cases where I think it truly fits. The show is emotional and moving, without the feeling that it's constantly screaming "Cry Damn It! Cry!" like so many other series, like Air, Saikano, or even Clannad at times. The touches are subtle and don't beat you over the head. You need to pay attention to pick everything up, which is quite easy considering how easily this show sucks you in. I quickly marathoned through the entire series, which is something I rarely do.

Now as for the dub, I've seen some criticisms of it and I have to say that I can't disagree more. ef is one of the most expertly cast dubs to come out in recent memory, and I'm become pretty picky when it comes to casting and acting in dubs. I love that Sentai and Seraphim get the fact that casting a character isn't just about choosing someone who sounds just like the Japanese VA. It's about how they can convey the character and their emotions. This is a lesson I wish some other dubbing studios would learn. Funimation, Bang Zoom and others have ruined dubs because they cast simply on the sound of an actor's voice and failed to realize that the American actor simply couldn't capture the emotion and range needed for the character. Who cares if the actors sound alike if one just isn't up to the task?

The video quality is superb. It's not quite as 100% flawless as some of Sentai's other recent releases like Angel Beats, but it's look amazing. There are occasional flaws in the video, such as extremely light digital artifacts, but you could count the total number on one hand and still have a few fingers left over. And like all recent Sentai blurays, the audio is 100% lossless DTS Master HD Audio. With a decent receiver and speakers, it sounds just as great as it looks.

I simply can't say enough good things about ef or it's dub. I realize tastes are entirely subjective, but if you enjoyed Angel Beats, Kanon, Clannad, or other Key Arts works, then you should definitely give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars ef a tale of memories, March 6, 2012
great!!!! get it now!!! the best anime i ever seen since air and clannad,kannon it made me cry and i don't cry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still great, but a bit lost in the dub, March 3, 2012
This review is from: Ef: A Tale of Memories Complete Collection (DVD)
This is a very good series and one of my favorites. I know some people like to watch all of these with sub-titles but I am glad when a good one comes out in English Dub. For me, it is just easier to pay attention to and share with my friends. While I do like this version (and the series is always a winner) I do think that with a story as complex as "ef - memories" an opportunity was lost here in the dub.

While I would still recommend it and I think any fan of the series will give this an easy 5 stars, "ef" is a complex story told in a somewhat complex style. In fact, their are some key points not really explained until the second series "ef - melodies" like why the two sisters never meet in person. When I first saw this story I really wanted to share it with others but I would never recommend it to a newbie just because between the subtitles and the mechanics, it is just not easy to follow unless you are used to it. I just enjoyed it and hoped it would come out in English dub so I could more widely recommend it. However, just a simple English dub was not really enough here. I do not think that the Dub makes the story much easier to follow. Yet, in some places, I was left wondering if they dropped something from the story I remember because of difficulty in translation. I also felt like just translating the words was not what this story really needed. In Japanese I am sure the story has a lot more depth than anyone can get get just reading sub-titles. I was looking to get that depth in the English version but was left wanting.

That said, this is still really good and is something I think anyone who likes anime should watch. Will be buying the second series when it comes out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ef: A Tale of Memories Complete Collection
Ef: A Tale of Memories Complete Collection by Ef-A Tale of Memories (DVD - 2012)
$59.98 $34.80