Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 25, 2014
I am a newbie, still in college, but I've worked some (although abroad, which maybe changes everything, because professionalism here is overrated. IMO)

While the book's intentions are kind and it is well written, I would hate to think that this is how I should act. As a human being, like my coworkers, like everyone's boss, I would like to think that I can be myself even at work. I would hate to think I have to reduce myself to "sound bites". I wouldn't want to have to come into a place wearing a mask every day, or a "game face", and it would be a shame if we all had to hang our lives outside the office on an invisible handle every morning.

Sure, sometimes you should keep your bad morning to yourself, and nobody will probably care why you missed a meeting, but the book seems to suggest that we should just learn to shut up and smile. Stressing the importance of things like "Linear language" makes the idea of professionalism a depressing concept. I am young, though, and I guess I will have to find out if professional has to be synonymous with an emptied green shell that is trying too hard.

I guess it depends where, but at least I can say that based on the places I've worked at so far (and I had a respectable job, and it paid well), where no one ever cared about seeming "professional" which in my opinion is much more mature. Being in a stressful environment where you have to watch your every step is sad, and would personally make me do a much lousier job than being able to act the way I would without overthinking it -- if you fart, please know you can laugh about it.

Some great advice was to really care about what you do or who you do it for, and not to be afraid to say "I don't know", "...in a world chock-full of puffery, that's downright impressive." It is. And the book is a good reminder that we can't expect to run when we've only taken the first few steps. I think we can all relate to that, especially young or fresh out of college, old enough, but maybe not quite by the world's standards.

p.s
I will never care about any kind of BMW, be it a car or a way to remember where to put things around the table. Just pass the bread whichever side of the clock you want and eat. It was just a mention in the book, but I do not understand why people put so much weight on these things in general, might have been a joke that was taken too seriously, but somehow it's impolite to put your bread on the right? Some people don't even have bread, I guess they have nothing to worry about then.
on November 1, 2012
As a recent college grad, I appreciated the advice from Emily and Skip. The book was a quick/easy read and full of helpful information on how to make a positive impact as a new hire! My favorite piece of advice? Put on Your Game Face. In the past, I have not been not great at hiding my worry in stressful situations. Emily & Skip's tips have helped me to improve my ability to stay calm and collected!
on April 6, 2012
Effective Immediately is great! I'd recommend it to any new college graduate or companies who hire them. The great thing about the book is that it is so practical and gives new grads really useful tips on how to make the move from the college setting to the workforce. Also, while it is perfect for new grads, so many of the points are relevant to anyone in the business world. Great tips on everything from protecting your own personal brand to how to be a trusted team member. Love it - and recommend it often. I see it is one of my essential business books I always keep on hand.
on July 26, 2011
I started to read this book as a "filler" from take off to 10,000 feet, until I could turn on my Kindle. 200 pages later I had finished this simple, concise and insightful book in one sitting. While the book is designed to help people just starting their careers, I found that much of the advice is also relevant for established members of the work force. So many people never develop appropriate behavior or skills, and so this book provides an opportunity for "mid course" correction as well as sound advice for getting started.

Whether Emily and Skip are talking about creating first impressions, organizing information, effective communication or handling adversity their message is clear: take control of and responsibility for your actions. I highly recommend this for everyone who wants to be successful at whatever career they choose.
on March 2, 2011
This book is written from the heart and every career newbie should keep it as their bible. This is one of my favorite recommended books for college graduates. However, anyone can read this book and get some great pointers. It covers everything from appearance to social media, relationships, and beyond. In today's market, you need to have an edge over the competition and this book will provide great advice on how to polish up your act and sharpen some critical skills to move ahead in the workplace.

What hits a home run for me with this book is having interviewed co-author, Emily Bennington, live for Exceptional Wisdom Radio's Career Success Show. She is an articulate dynamo who worked hard to publish this book. Her real life experiences translate into amazingly insightful book for our future stars. I wish I had this book in hand when I started by career!
on April 16, 2012
I finished "Effective Immediately" cover to cover, and laughed out loud at several points... which is unexpected in a business book! Emily's advice I can say (from the perspective of a 25+ year career person) is right on target... even the suggestions that might sound "political" and initially cause a little discomfort have proven to be savvy practices in the reality of most corporate settings. I am buying this book for friends, because I think it is an essential reference for new grads, and a helpful refresher for not-so-new grads who care about continuing to sharpen their game at work.
on August 25, 2012
I recently bought this book because I was having a challenging time at my first job. This book helped me to have some idea on what my employers are looking for.(And from what I have seen so far), what the book advocates seem to be correct. I fully recommend this book for anybody who is entering the job market from college without any "real" job experience.
on June 30, 2011
This book has some really great workplace advice for new college grads. Whether you've worked in an office environment for a few years or you haven't stepped foot inside a workplace yet, Effective Immediately has tons of great tips on every subject you could think of. Definitely worth the money.
on January 17, 2013
Great for any college grad about to start into the real world. Loved the mistakes that others have made sections (newbie to newbie).
This is the stuff that should be taught in college and a requirement before you graduate.
on August 5, 2011
I recently purchased Effective Immediately as a book assignment for a corporate leadership program. The group loved it and the topics served as a great roundtable discussion. Most wish they had this resource when they made the transition from college to career. This is a good read for both new and existing employees- regardless of age or position in the company. I highly recommend mentors, managers and leaders purchase Effective Immediately for your team.