5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for
I am a Kona coffee farmer and I sell my coffee through my website. I used to be a professional programmer before becoming a Kona coffee farmer. Leveraging off that experience, and Larry's previous books, I wrote all the code for my website: HTML, CSS, PHP, mySQL, everything. Throughout the process I wished for a book exactly like this one.

When I heard that...
Published on December 18, 2010 by Gary Strawn

3.0 out of 5 stars effortless? HA! an oxymoronic title if there ever was one!
whomever put "effortless" and "e-commerce" together must have a sick sense of humor.

i'm sure it will come in handy some day.
Published 7 months ago by patrick reed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, December 18, 2010
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)

When I heard that this book was being published my first thought was "too late to help me." When I received my copy, I realized that I was wrong. Even though I spent years as a professional network programmer, and my website was already written, I am still in the process of rewriting large parts of my website because of the excellent information in this book.

If you're a web developer, this book is for you. Even if you aren't going to write everything yourself, this book will still help you understand the important concepts such as security, PCI, user accounts and site administration.

The book does assume a certain amount of experience with PHP and mySQL. That's the best part though, unlike any other author I've ever read, Larry Ullman has a website with useful forums and he answers nearly every question himself. Have a question about figure 7.2? With this book you can get an answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not that effortless, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
I have recently completed reading this book in its entirety and I must say: reading Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and mysql wasn't effortless for me. It took me a whole month to study the book. But after this month I walked away having learned so much that I cannot do otherwise than give this book 5 stars.
Here are some important things I've learned from this book:
- how to write highly readable code and prevent common vulnerabilities
- how to incorporate different payment gateways
- how to use and build mysql stored procedures
- how to use the .htaccess file to make a directory entirely unavailable
- how to improve the search engine rankings of a site creating the so-called "pretty" URLs
- how to write and use php prepared statements that use fewer resources and thus run faster.(If you ever asked yourself how to make multiple inserts or multiple updates using a single query... this is the way.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wait is Over!!!!!!!, December 3, 2010
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
I have been pleased with Larry Ullman's books up to this point, but this one takes the cake! I have spent countless hours researching online for the information documented in this book. This book outlines in detail two different e-commerce models that will make any developer more valuable. First example is a site that uses PayPal. It goes into detail on how to use the PayPal sandbox to test your site before it goes live. The second example shows the reader how to implement a payment gateway directly onto your site. The second example is far more complex, but knowing how to accept credit card payments directly onto your site is very valuable and is well worth a little pain in grasping all that goes into that.

He talks a lot about internet security, SSL, and server configuration ... all which are extremely important when it comes to e-commerce. If you are just starting to learn php or mysql, I would highly recommend one of his other books such as "Beginning PHP" or "PHP & MySQL" .. that is where I started 6 years ago.

Larry has taught me a lot and has helped me become a more valuable developer.
Thanks Larry

P.S. Hey Larry ... idea for next book: M-commerce (mobile e-commerce) using PHP/MySQL

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Up to Date PHP Book on the Market, March 4, 2011
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
Anything written by this author is going to be top notch. I'm just over half way through with this book and I'm learning a ton. What I like about this Effortless E-commerce is not just that's it's been recently published, but it walks you through the production of 2 large scale, professionally developed e-commerce applications. Other books offer just random scripts and pieces of code for use on individual projects. This book puts everything together into a cohesive project so that you can see how everything works together.

This is the third PHP book written by Larry Ullman that I've read in the last 6 months, PHP 6 and Mysql 5 for Dynamic Websites:Visual Quickstart and PHP 5 Advanced: Visual Quickpro being the other two.

As with the other two titles, the thing I like most about Effortless E-commerce is the online support. On Larry Ullman's website is a support forum where you can post questions or problems with the exercises in any one of his books. Within hours Larry himself will have the answers needed to get you unstuck, so that you don't spend hours blindly troubleshooting problems and getting distracted from the remainder of the book.

A must read for any beginner to intermediate programmer serious about learning PHP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to PHP/MySQL Powered E-Commerce, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
Typically, tech books fit into one of two categories: (a) thorough, packed with examples, but bereft in clarity department or (b) simply written and easy to understand, but of little practical use. Larry Ullman's books fit in a third category that takes the best of the two, and, as a result, represents a body of work that stands apart. That said, the material inside Effortless E-Commerce follows suit and provides developers with a great introduction to building a PHP/MySQL e-commerce solution.

Many reviewers tend to highlight the specific functionality presented in a volume, and while Effortless E-Commerce has all of the relevant functionality needed to build a working e-commerce site that accepts payments, manages orders, products and customers, what is best about this book is the modular fashion in which it is written. There is no perfect solution to any application development project; chances are no tech book will contain all the answers to the myriad requirements of a given project. Yet the way Effortless E-Commerce is structured, a developer with a little intuition can pick and choose from the functional pieces presented, and build out a site to suit his or her needs. Even better, many of these pieces of functionality are independent of e-commerce. For example, the registration and login system presented can be re-used across many different types of applications, while the Paypal or AuthNet integration examples can be used to make a simple payment page outside of a traditional shopping cart application.

Overall, Effortless E-Commerce is a book every PHP developer should own. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enoyable--one of a kind!, August 23, 2012
Susanne Cardwell (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
Wonderful--as a newcomer to computer programming in general, and especially PHP, I just today finalized reading Effortless E-commerce in a matter of three weeks with only having previously read--and having surprisingly well comprehended-- Ullman's PHP for the Web and PHP and MySQL books. Needless to say, although the transition to Effortless E-Commerce was a daunting task, it was thoroughly enjoyable-- and even meditative--as I was able to follow the logic quite well, in spite of being weak in both the SQL commands and actual application (and sessions, which I can simply review from his previous books to get up to speed). To top off the good energy, I have also today begun reading Larry's MySQL book, which serves as a God-sent in preparing me for actually building the sites in Ullman's effortless e-commerce book.

Some of the highlights of Larry's book include the presentation of his own voice in more detail than in Visual Quickstart guides. I loved his introductory components that outlined things such as PCI Compliance, security considerations, and advantages/disadvantages of various hosting packages with PHP sites. He also explained in greater detail ways to transfer over one's site from localhost to a paid server, which could involve either password protecting directories with secure information or putting them outside of the Web root, either method dependent on the option available from the corresponding service provider.

Most importantly, however, Ullman's book was not only a provider of detailed instructions on how to build two e-commerce sites with varied functionality, but also a demonstrator of new instructional concepts, such as how to use stored procedures (with MySQL); how to incorporate advanced regular expressions; how to use some amazing JQUERY tools for added functionality; and how to use module rewrites to alter the urls for added security and user-friendliness. I found that I was continually learning new concepts, not just repeating the previous pattern for the sole purpose of reinforcement. I have to agree with our Amazon reviewer friend, DeveloperJerry, that a book on M-commerce (mobile e-commerce) using PHP/MySQL would be excellent to see, as it would provide additional stellar examples for devices. In fact, I was so at a loss with finalizing Larry's Effortless E-Commerce book, as it had such appeal that I wanted it to continue on forever, that an M-commerce book would be most welcome, indeed.

I plan on continuing to work with the book in actually building the sites from scratch after both reading Larry's MySQL edition and getting more practice with using the phpMyAdmin tool. As a newbie, getting to this stage of development is a very thrilling process, one which I previously found impossible to achieve without the assistance of Larry's phenomenal teaching tools. I will just make concerted prayers, requesting that Larry decides to publish additional commerce books (M-Commerce, for instance) and publishes, possibly, a manual on JQuery specifically. Thank you so much, Larry, for the wonderful learning experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Larry Does It Again!, December 24, 2010
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
Larry has written a book that is the best one out there for understanding how to build an ecommerce site. It is well written, easy to understand and covers topics I hadn't even thought of. I'm a web designer and buy all of his books. If it wasn't for Larry and his books I would have never made it through school. What a great writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!! I've been waiting for a book like this to come for years..., December 19, 2010
PhillyMusicLover (Philadelphia, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
Tired of reading LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) books that go into building a shopping cart or Content Management System, but mention nothing about how to make money from them (accept direct payment and all the other things that come along with that, security, payment industry standards)?

This book is exactly what I've been looking for when it comes to getting into the nitty-gritty details of accepting money from other customers directly (not using PayPal website, although it is covered in the book too). The other book that I used and that is also excellent, but doesn't go into the level of detail is Beginning PHP and MySQL E-Commerce from Novice to Professional (I've used both editions).

HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book to anyone trying to do the following: Take online payments directly using a LAMP web application.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable resource in the development of my first e-commerce site, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
This book was my primary resource during the development of my first (and only, so far) e-commerce website. Before I dove into the aforementioned project, I read and worked through most of PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (4th Edition), which was crucial to my success. If you're new to PHP and MySQL like I was but have experience with HTML and CSS -- definitely start there first.

I didn't read through Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL page by page. I already had a specific project in mind before I got started, so I was always thinking about how I could apply what I was learning to my project. I'd get excited after learning something new and head off on my own. This approach usually left me stuck, or worse, at a dead end -- then I'd return to the book for answers. This process was repeated over and over until I finally got my site up and running. Was this the best approach? Probably not. It worked for me though and I think that says something about the book. It's not just a cookbook style guide to create an e-commerce website (though it certainly can be that if you want it to be), there's also enough substance to equip you with the skills you need to go off on your own.

And for what it's worth, I find I still refer to this book on occasion as a general PHP and MySQL reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book!, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (Paperback)
I love this book. It makes a difficult subject easy. This book outlines how important web security is for e-commerce and gives practical technical applications of security issues. This is one of the best programming books I have read and gets me excited about e-commerce. Excellent!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL
Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL by Larry E. Ullman (Paperback - October 31, 2010)
$39.99 $28.53