Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Egg: A Culinary Exploration of the World's Most Versatile Ingredient
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 13, 2014
I love Ruhlman's Twenty. Naturally, when I saw that he had a new cookbook being released, I pre-ordered it months in advance. Ruhlman and I, a novice home-cook, think alike: eggs are cheap and easy to cook. Naturally, I was very excited to receive Egg.

I appreciate the finer cooking points on how to poach an egg properly and reminding me to coddle my eggs. However, I don't consider coddled eggs with truffle butter a true recipe. I tried the new technique for scrambled eggs (in a water bath). The technique is great and I would recommend it for brunch or dieters. The cakes look great (I haven't had a chance to make one yet, but I look forward to it). The quiche looks like my favorite quiche from Jane in San Francisco. I can't wait to make the marshmallows (Jane adds a marshmallow to their mochas).

Ruhlman is a great author. I really appreciate all the tips and tricks he adds to his cookbooks, including Egg. All in all, I took off one star because I like pictures. Egg is lacking pictures. I love all of Ruhlman's Twenty pictures.

Would I buy Egg again? Yes. Would I buy Egg for a friend? Yes. Do I enjoy cooking from Egg? Yes. However, Ruhlman's Twenty is still my favorite cookbook.

Update 3/15: The chocolate sponge cake recipe is my go-to recipe for all chocolate sponge cakes. When I make the sponge cake, I receive many compliments on the sponge cake.
on April 10, 2014
As a true culinary visionary, Michael Ruhlman asks of the kitchen staple the egg, "What can't it do?!"

Recipes in Egg include Italian meringue, quiche, custards, and even condiments like mayonnaise. One of the most intriguing facets of Ruhlman's book is his flowchat that depicts the many uses and ways of preparing eggs. This helpful sheet is removable (!) for easy pinning on the fridge. Since I am trying to incorporate more of this healthy and affordable protein into my weekly menu, this is a huge plus.

Other reasons I recommend this book...
- Nearly 100 recipes organized into easy groupings
- Step-by-step photographs guide you along the way
- Everything you wanted to know about buying eggs
- Recipes that put a new spin on traditional favorites, for as he says, "there is nothing that isn't improved when you put a well-cooked egg on top of it"

On a final note - its good to get the good word from an expert like Ruhlman! He has studied cooking for over 20 years and written many successful cookbooks like The Making of a Chef as well as a great non-food related expose Wooden Boats. While it may not be the most diverse book about eggs on the market or as specific as The Art of Cooking Omelettes, Ruhlman's new book about "this really fabulous, versatile ingredient" is defintely helpful for those who want to crack into eggs in a new way.
on April 16, 2014
Michael Ruhlman is a combination of who we are and who we want to be. He's a down to earth guy with a passion for cooking (who most of us are) who has become an almost unparalleled master at the culinary arts (who most of us want to be). I consider "Ruhlman's Twenty" to be one of the finest books written for an aspiring home chef, and "Egg" comes very close to being Twenty's equal.

In "Egg", Ruhlman takes the simple egg and demonstrates why it truly is not only "the most versatile ingredient", but also one of the most magnificent. Through the multitude of recipes, he shows how the egg can play both the lead role or the supporting character in every dish from breakfast to dessert.

Big credit must also go to Donna Ruhlman for her stunning photography highlighted throughout the book. Seriously, I challenge you to look at any picture in this book and not think (or say out loud), "oh, I gotta make that". In fact, one of my complaints about "Egg" is that while some recipes have multiple pictures, you can find yourself going through a stretch of several recipes that have none.

Another little complaint I have about "Egg" is that sometimes, it feels like there are little details omitted in his recipes. For example, in one of his soft-cooked egg recipes, he says that you can use the pressure cooker method, but only for 4 minutes. It was unclear if that meant mimicking the pressure cooker hard-cooked egg exactly, but only for 4 minutes -- so that's what I did and wound up with was still basically a hard-cooked egg. Maybe for soft-cooked, I was supposed to immediately cool the pressure cooker under cold water and then get the egg into ice water? I don't know, because he doesn't say.

Those minor complaints aside, "Egg" is almost worth the price just for two recipes: the above mentioned pressured cooker hard-cooked eggs (so easy to peel and the most perfect yolks ever) and double boiler scrambled eggs. I've seen Heston Blumenthal use the double boiler method but didn't try it until I got "Egg". I've never tasted such rich, moist, delicious scrambled eggs. They are well worth the additional time it takes to make them. A couple of tips on the scrambled eggs -- use truffle butter instead of regular butter (mind-blowing), and be aware that as soon as the eggs start to curdle, they progress to being done very quickly.
on May 12, 2014
I love this book! He starts with the basics, like how to choose your eggs and then provides recopies using each method of cooking. The price was more than I would usually spend on a cookbook but now I am glad I did. I love the pictures, the descriptions and how the book is arranged.. I have tried several of the recopies and they are easy to follow. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves eggs.
on May 20, 2014
I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of cooking and I'm quite certain this book will have a strong positive influence on my future cooking capabilities. I started with simple scrambled eggs--wow, what a difference proper preparation makes! Have now done soft boiled eggs and made a few simple chicken/pasta dishes that people have really enjoyed so far.

While I don't have much cookbook experience, I am very happy with this purchase.
on March 19, 2016
An extraordinary book, my wife considers it one of the best and most insightful cookbooks she has ever read. Digs deeply into this single ingredient and shows the extraordinary versatility and key features of the egg, many of which we take for granted in day-to-day cooking. When you understand the egg, as this book allows you to do, you gain a whole new level of insight into your other recipes and into cooking in general. Have tried several delicious recipes from the book as well, they will become regulars in our cooking rotation. For the serious cook and also for anyone who wants to increase their cooking knowledge, this book is a real classic. Ruhlman writes so well that reading the book is also highly enjoyable, not in any way an instructional chore, just fascinating. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
on October 4, 2015
This is a great book for anyone. Use organic, pasture raised eggs and you'll get tasty, high protein and relatively inexpensive meals. There's a reason why a chef must first learn 100 ways to cook an egg before wearing the traditional 100 fold toque. Every way you learn to cook an egg opens a new door to more information and skill. We've recently started pressure cooking egg based desserts and they are so fast, tasty and absolutely brilliant. Check your pressure cookers web site. Plus, Michael Ruhlman often gets into a subject and transmits what he is learning. Use you head and listen. Your own ideas will flow thanks to Michae!l www.culturesgroup.net
on April 26, 2016
I LOVE this cookbook! Its visually appealing with the gorgeous photos. He gives a great intro on how important eggs are. Each chapter of all the different ways eggs are utilized & prepared makes me want to try every recipe in the book. My friend's chickens started laying eggs & I gave her this cookbook for her birthday. She was so excited to start using her fresh eggs to try out all the great recipes.
on June 18, 2014
A pretty comprehensive book that teaches the many techniques of dealing with the egg. Even if some of the recipes don't turn out to be your favorite version of a particular egg dish, you will have learned some solid skills to help you prepare that more favorite version. By the way, the Boozy Bread Pudding is bliss!
on May 13, 2014
Mr. Ruhlman obviously loves his subject. This book is well written, informative and entertaining to boot. I have read through it several times - the first time enjoying learning all about eggs and looking at the photos, then going back for recipes and techniques. The recipes are clear, beautifully presented, with excellent illustration. The chart is a nice addition. Framed, it will make a nice addition to my kitchen wall.