Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Eggs in the Coffee Sheep in the Corn: My 17 Years as a Farmwife (Midwest Reflections)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

HALL OF FAMEon November 26, 2004
Marjorie Myers never guessed she'd be spending the next 17 years of her life on an out of the way farm way the heck out in Western Minnesota; she'd been happy and content living the urban lifetsyle of busy, bustling St. Paul. But then she fell in love and got married, in the middle of World War II, and the next thing you know she was living among her in-laws, a mixed blessing at best. This is her memoir of her years in what amounted to another country for her, a time when she learned a lot about a simpler life and a more arduous one as well. For if America changed a lot between 1943 and the beginning of the "New Frontier," it never changed as much as for people living on stock ranches like Marjorie. She never thought she'd be killing animals, much less ones she had gotten to love as pets and friends, but the hard way of the farm got her used to it. At bottom she remained the same endearing, enchanting woman she had started out with, and you know what?

She came out of her experience a whole lot smarter and with more of a natuve wisdom about the way things work, not only on the farm but in the secret chambers of the human heart. If you like Mary Gaskell's novels of 19th century farm life, you will enjoy this true account, s beautifully written, of one'woman's farm wife experience, and you will grow to love her husband, "Don," and understand why a man like that could make a woman leave her former home and follow him even unto a farm not much removed from the famous COLD COMFORT FARM. Highly recommended for both city and country folk.
on November 22, 2006
I absolutely loved this book. I'm a city girl who at the time I read this book had been transplanted to a hobby farm in Kansas. I always recommend this book to any "newcomers" to the country. I was sad to see the book end! Definitely a must read!
on March 1, 2016
Well written account of farm life in the 1930's and 40's. To be honest I didn't finish it. Reading through modern eyes it was hard for me to comprehend giving up all hopes and dreams for a husband's wants. I feel marriage should be a coming together of equals and that certainly wasn't the case for most of history and certainly not in this story. Still, worth reading to get a true sense of what it must have been like.
on March 1, 2012
A well written book by a woman who, having been raised in the city, was not sure she wanted to be a farmer's wife. However, she fell right to work, trying her best to be just that. And for the most part she succeeded. I found it amusing that she worried so that her children, by living on a farm, would not be exposed to enough culture to grow up to be well rounded adults. I guess we farm-raised country folk just never realize how uncultured we are. Oh well, as they say, ignorance is bliss.
on April 4, 2013
If you like reading books about the good old days when life was without technology this is it. She writes about her life as a farmers wife and that life is not always easy, but it sure is rewarding. I would love to meet Marjorie Myers Douglas and hear all her stories. What a great lady.
on May 17, 2011
I loved this book, I'm on a farm in Australia and found this beautifully written book informative both about the period and this part of America on the land. I had to read it cover to cover despite it being made up of discrete essays.
The story still flows through in a most satisfying way.
on January 26, 2013
It was about my hometown, which was very interesting. But if it weren't, I don't think I would have found it interesting at all.
on April 9, 2012
Good short read, lots of stuff i remember of my own childhood, pretty short half a days read but pretty good
on September 7, 2014
wife was happy with purchase
on August 17, 2015