5.0 out of 5 stars Eheim Pro 3 Model 2075
Published on April 29, 2010 by R. Gonzalez

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star is not low enough
I have owned the 2075 for about a year and one night it just started leaking. Imagine my surprise the next morning when I noticed all of the water in front of the tank. It leaked several gallons of water overnight. I got lucky this happened on the weekend, it took a very long time to clean it all up.

Next I find the leak, an internal o-ring between the pump and...
Published on May 7, 2011 by Chuck

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star is not low enough, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)

Next I find the leak, an internal o-ring between the pump and the canister needs replaced. This causes the unit to leak at the power cord inlet. It didn't take long to find the leak, it takes much longer to get the part. Everywhere that sold these gasket sets had none in stock. I have an order in with Trilby Tropical. They tell me the gasket sets are on back order. I have e-mailed the company, they have not responded. That was 3 weeks ago! I am still waiting. I had to buy a new filter to keep the fish healthy. I could never own another Eheim product. That was a waste of $300.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks!, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
Just like some of the other reviewers I have had considerable problems with leaks. The first time was after eight months of use. Eheim replaced the unit and now here I am a year later with another flood.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfied, September 23, 2010
Nimajneb (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
I've owned an Eheim 2217 for many years and it has operated flawlessly. I recently set up a new 110 gallon community tank and decided to spring on the latest Eheim model - the 2075. It's only been running 2 months so perhaps my impression on this will improve, but so far it's been underwhelming.

As others have mentioned, the priming button doesn't really work. YOu have to press the buttom 20+ times...just when you're about to give up and try to do it the hard way then it springs to life.

Second, even after a 50% water change, my water is still cloudy. It doesn't seem to help...although I'm hoping this gets settled once the tank has been running a few more months.

If I can do this again, I would get the Eheim Pro II 2028, which has gotten MUCh better reviews.

** Edited 10/25/10 **

The cloudiness has settled and the tank is pristine. However, the priming button still doesn't work. I think I've isolated the cause - the floating valve gets stuck in the cavity which prevents a suction from forming initially. I don't know what'll happen if I remove the float valve...maybe I'll try it next time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Water Leaks in my Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Filter, July 23, 2011
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
I have 3 big fancy goldfish in a 55g tank, which needs a lot of filtration because these fish produce a lot of waste. I was a first time buyer of an external canister filter and a first-time purchaser of an Eheim product. I had heard that older Eheim models were very reliable, but I ended up buying the Eheim Pro 3 2075 from Marine Depot because this model had a newer, sleeker design, and sounded easy to clean. I chose Eheim over other models because of Eheim's reputation. I bought the Eheim in April 2010. Several days ago, that is, a year and two months later, the filter is leaking water somewhere close to the electric cord, a complaint that other reviewers of this product have reported on Amazon and on numerous other forums. Upon finding this leak, I cleaned the filter, thoroughly checked for any cracks, plugged it back in, and it seemed to work fine. Fours hours later, I found a puddle of water by the filter yet again. I frantically shut off the filter, Googled "Eheim Pro 3 leaks" (try it yourself) and found that other people also experienced the exact same problem with this filter in the exact same spot. People also seemed to notice these leaks after one year of owning this filter, which is also my case. The Eheim Pro 3 series clearly has defects that the manufacturer needs to correct. Do not purchase filters from the Eheim Pro 3 line! When I installed this filter upon first receiving it, the filter worked beautifully and I was ecstatic with the results. Within the one year of owning it, I was able to change the filter media only 4 times with incredible ease. However, I think you only begin to see these leaks after the machine has been running for awhile. I'm disappointed with this product because I paid over $200 for the filter. But I guess as a first-time user of external canister filters, the lesson that I have learned is to not purchase an Eheim product ever again. I do not favor Eheims over other models because I lack experience in this hobby, but I do know from experience that this particular filter has failed me miserably.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT BUY A EHEIM PRO 3, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
We purchased this the 2075 and with in 15 months it broke. It started leaking from the top. It was fantastic to come home from work to find 1/2 of a 130 gallon tank on the floor and a real scared fish. I contacted ehiem, after several emails they said it was a broken primer seal. Its suppose to have a 3 year warrenty... They would not send me one nor tell me where I could get one..... Save your money and go with another manufacture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor--Don't buy, February 20, 2011
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
Despite the Eheim reputation, do yourself and don't buy this filter. I concur what others here (and elsewhere) say: The self-priming feature does not work. For the past three hours (*I* *kid* *you* *not*) I have been trying to restart my Eheim Pro 3 filter after unplugging it for maintenance. When it does refill with water, I can hear the sound of water and air bubbles, not it does not pump.

Yes, it was quiet when it was working (before I unplugged it). But, this level of frustration is simply not worth it.

I don't know what else I would have bought, but I am now sorry I purchased this expensive filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eheim Pro 3 Model 2075, April 29, 2010
R. Gonzalez (Cooper City, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
This canister filter was purchased for a 90 gallon African Cichlid tank. I've owned my unit for approximately 2 weeks and purchased my filter for $250.00 I utilized cichlid sand that was not rinsed under manufacturer recommendation and absolutely clouded the water something terrible. The filter was able to make a significant difference in just 24 hours and absolutely cleared the water within 48-72 hours. I knew of the Eheim name and reputation and risked its purchase although I could not find many reviews on this particular model (2075). There were plenty available for the model 2080. Now, let's cut to the chase.
The Good:
1) Incredibly QUIET!!! There is absolutely no hum whatsoever during its operation. You know it's working because you will see the wave of surface agitation from the powerhead.
2) Very efficient as witnessed by me personally in clearing my milky water in just 48 hrs.
3) Relatively simple assembly and installation.
4) Simply hose disconnect feature to allow for cleaning the canister.
5) My model was a complete kit including all filters and substrate all inclusive.
The Bad:
1) The priming feature did not work well and exhausted me in the process. It took quite a while before it decided to work. I pumped the primer over and over and over and..........get the point? It did nothing. Eventually it started after one final attempt.
2) The substrate is very expensive.
3) No tilt and roll wheels on this model to assist with removing from your tank stand.
4) Input and output hoses were a bit difficult to seat on quick disconnect valve on motor head.
Truly, nearly a perfect filter for my 90 gallon aquarium. I would purchase this or any other Eheim product based on my experience with this filter. It deserves a 4.5 rating (because of the primer) but was not available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eheim 2075 Pro3 Leaks!, March 27, 2011
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
I replaced my Fluval 405 with the Eheim 2075 Pro3. The pump worked well for 2 years and then started leaking. It's not that uncommon to have a leak around the main gasket (dirt, damage, improper seating, lack of lubricant, etc), but this leak was coming from the electrical cord outlet on the back. Taking the pump head and cleaning it didn't help. I was losing about 2 gallons a day. Replacing the 0-rings at the quick diconnect coupling and spraying it with Eheim silicone spray didn't help. Somehow, water was getting into the head housing, collecting there and overflowing from the electrical cord opening. After trying everything I could think of, I decided to run my tank on the other Eheim 2075 and keep the original for spare parts.

About 2 weeks ago, the 2nd 2075 started leaking at the same location. I don't know if this is a leaky ball valve (shutoff lever), defective primer seal or something else. Desperate for new 0-rings and main gaskets ($28!) I came across Trilby Tropical Sales. They weren't aware of any specific problem with the 2075s, but they contacted Eheim Tech Support and pleaded my case. Thanks to them, Eheim is shipping me 2 new replacement pumps at no charge. I know there are a lot of Eheims out there and the classics seem to have a much better track record. There must have been some manufacturing defect with this series of 2075s because Tech Support specifically asked me what series I had. For now, I will keep an open mind about Eheim pumps. Their willingness to replace both pumps is honorable and I appreciate that. Time will tell if they've truly addressed the problem.

5 months later: The replacement pump heads from Eheim seem to be holding up well and I have no issues with leaks so it warrants an extra star. Still, this was a nightmare to deal with and getting to Eheim tech support was impossibe except through the dealer.

Update 3.22.2012 - a year after Eheim sent me free replacement head units, they're still working flawlessly.

Update 5.10.2013 - 2 years after Eheim replaced the pump heads, they're still going strong. I just broke the shutoff lever on one pump but that was more likely my fault than a flaw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet and effective filter, March 14, 2013
Voltaire (Lake Worth,Texas,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
I'm no newbie to canister filters. I have used them for 13 years now. My first was an Eheim 2178 Thermofilter. It lasted 11 years. When it came time to replace it I considered everything from Fluval, Rena to Eheim. There were many negative reviews of the 2075. I was put off but further investigation seems to have revealed there was a mid-production modification to a gasket. I have one of the post-modification filters. I have a lightly stocked 58 gallon Oceanic Show tank. I have had no problems at all with the filter. Honestly, I suspect much of the reported problems is with people not taking care of setting up and maintaining the filter. Many, I suspect load the filter the wrong way or force something. One trick I use it to always clean the main gasket when I clean the filter. I also coat it with some petroleum grease (Vasolene). For the price, it is a good deal. It comes with the filter material which is world class and unbeatable. Many people buy other filters and put in Eheim filter material. You get this basically free with this filter. If you are considering a canister filter, give this a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great filter, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter - Up to 160 gal. (Misc.)
I bought this 2075 Pro3 filter 3yrs ago, on the advice of my LFS people, who use it in their display tanks and are some very fish-savvy folks. This is a bit of a pricey filter, but the advice has proven to be good. Before this, I went through several filters, including a Marineland that leaked, and also the Eheim "Classic", which cracked the housing at the bushing. That is a common problem with the classic. I did re-use the old ceramic media with the new media provided to seed my new 2075 with nitrifying bacteria.
I have a heavily planted 90G fresh water tank with 300W+ T5 lighting. Also have a 36W Turbo Twist sterilizer hooked up in line with this (yes this is overkill, but my tank is crystal clear and no parasites!). Priming can be an issue until you find the "trick" to it. I will explain. The easiest way from my experience is to just unscrew the nylon hose fitting at the outflow on the spray bar side. Its very easy and goes right back on. Just put that side into a bucket on the floor and then open up the valve on pump and let gravity do the work. I let mine cycle a couple gallons to get the air out. Close the valve so you don't get the floor soaked and re attach. This is so quick that I don't understand all the complaints about the primer button.
Changing and rinsing the media is very easy with the filter baskets. I bought a roll of the pre-filter white media that has lasted me years. The green Eheim pre filter on top gets rinsed out and lasts me about a year.
I only reason I will not give this 5 stars: my motor housing sprung a leak a few mths ago. But Eheim customer service tracked the s/n, and this was a known problem. They sent me out a new pump head no charge. Great service. I think this is a well designed filter and would buy it again. If you are wondering about what size filter to buy, err on the large side. You cannot have too much filtration.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›