Eighty Days Yellow (The Eighty Days Series)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$11.65 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 18, 2012
3.75-4 Stars

These were the moments he lived for. The quiet before the storm. The ritual of unveiling. Knowing the point of no return had been reached, breached, and the f*** was now inevitable.

The above line from the book has got to be one of the MOST sexiest quotes ever. I don't know what it is about it, but to me it held a certain type of promise. It describes the rawness, the carnality and the anticipation of what's coming. The images that start to form in my mind are disturbing, yet breathtaking. I'm left speechless.

I honestly don't know what to say about this story. I don't know where to begin. As one of my GR friends stated, "this book should be in its own category." I, one hundred percent, wholeheartedly agree with her. This is not for everyone!! First off, I'm not really sure if Fifty fans will automatically love, or even like, this book. Aside from the obvious kink and the title having a number & a color (lol), there are no real other similarities.

This book is dark, yes, but it also had its own certain feel. I can't really describe it. It's difficult to put into words. I felt like a voyeur, if I can be honest. It was like watching Eyes Wide Shut, but without Tom and Nicole. It was just an overall strange, tantalizing story that I couldn't help but be intrigued by it. Does that make any sense?

"Dear Summer Zahova,
I was most sorry to hear of your ordeal. I am a great admirer of your musicianship, and to ensure you are able to continue your practice, I am willing to gift you with a new violin.
Are you willing to accept my challenge and my terms?" ~ D

So it begins. Summer's journey into the abyss, as I like to think of it. There was always something peculiar about Summer. She's a brilliant violinist, but there's a darker, kinkier side of her. It comes out occasionally, but once she meets Dominik, she slowly starts to spiral out of control. With each and every game they play, little by little, she starts to question, "what is happening to me?"

Dominik was instantly taken in by Summer. After hearing her play her violin in the Tube, he will do anything to find out more about her. He reads about the incident regarding her violin, locates her on Facebook and sends the message. Dominik's character was at times, cold, but you could easily gather that there is more to him. Once they meet and agree to his terms, Summer couldn't help but be captivated by him. He constantly pushes her limits, testing her. He starts to think about her relentlessly, but makes it clear that they are not in a relationship. They remain unattached, but how far is too far? How much longer can they deny there is more between them?

There are a lot of things that go on in this story that might make readers uncomfortable. There is a constant flow of mind games and not just between Summer and Dominik, but with their "friends" and "colleagues." There is also the explicit nature of the story. Master/slave, BDSM, voyeurism, humiliation, ménage, including F/M/F, as well as sex involving multiple partners; the list of situations knew no bounds in this story. There are hardcore things that occur, so be aware before diving in. Also, be patient. The pace really didn't pick up until 48-50% in. After that, things really started to heat up. Nevertheless, I must reiterate that this is NOT for everyone. However for those willing to give it a chance, come with an open mind. I know it more than intrigued me and I'm highly looking forward to the next two installments.
on August 22, 2012
Format: Paperback
Summer Zahova is a violinist from New Zealand, living in London where she is in a frustrating relationship with a man who can't meet her needs and struggling to make ends meets.
While busking in the underground, Summer gets caught up in a scuffle between rival football supporters which damages her violin beyond repair.
Dominik is a university professor who found himself enthralled by Summer and the way she loses herself while playing the violin on the one occasion he saw and heard her play. Unable to find her again and with no idea who the beautiful redhead is, he has almost given up the hope of ever meeting her when he reads an article about a violinist whose violin was broken. Now that he has a name, Dominik can contact Summer and he sets her a challenge:
"I am willing to gift you with a new violin. Do you accept my challenge and my terms?"
Unable to resist Summer contacts Dominik and agrees to play for him in a location and under circumstances to be determined by him.
And so starts a strange, but initially, fascinating relationship. Summer discovers that submitting to Dominik's requests satisfies her in a way she didn't know was possible, while Dominik's need for Summer only grows.
Things don't progress smoothly though. With their relationship being anything but exclusive Summer feels free to explore this newly discovered sexuality of hers with others as well. And when third parties become involved in the interactions between Dominik and his musician feelings get hurt and the two are torn apart.
With Summer delving deeper into the BDSM scene in New York, and Dominik left behind in London with no idea where the girl he needs is, both find themselves delving into relationships that don't begin to meet their needs. Is there any chance of these two people ever staying together long enough to discover that they actually need each other?

I'm not at all sure how I feel about this book.
I have, by now, read a few books about people discovering their not quite vanilla taste for sex and up until now it has been a case of a novice meeting someone who likes to dominate, discovering his/her submissive side and while the couple explore this BDSM relationship they fall in love and live happily ever after.
Nothing is quite that simple in this book. Summer and Dominik, while attracted to each other and enjoying the antics they get up to while together are not on path towards everlasting happiness. They are not even exclusive when it comes to sexual experiences. They come together only to be thrown apart again because they fail to communicate and don't recognise their own feelings and needs until it is (almost?) too late.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this development. While it makes the story far more realistic - I mean, what are the chances that the first person with whom you indulge in a certain experience is also the person you want to spend the rest of your life with - it also makes the story more disturbing and liking the main characters more difficult.
In fact, I'm not at all sure I did like Summer and Dominic - or any of the other characters in the book.
I'm not sure how I feel about the shifting perspective in this book either. Sometimes it is Summer herself telling the story, then it is a narrator telling the reader about Summer's experiences and at yet other times we see things from Dominic's perspective. These shifts seemed to take the flow out of the story as I had to stop and think about who exactly was telling me what. I can't help wondering if this shifting perspective is the result of two authors having written this book together, and if that is the case, why an editor didn't make them change it.
Finally, this book comes with a "If you liked Fifty Shades, you'll love..." sticker. Don't be fooled by that. This book is only similar to Fifty Shades in that it deals with unconventional sexual relations. But whereas Fifty Shades was above all a love story, Eighty Days Yellow doesn't read like a love story at all. This is the story of a voyage of sexual self-discovery more then anything else and will probably appeal to a different sort of reader than the Fifty Shades books did.

So, there was a lot to question and even dislike about this book. On the other hand, it was also an intriguing story especially because it was so very unpredictable. At no point in this story did I feel as if I knew what would happen next. Events and characters kept on surprising me. And, now that I've finished this book I'm still wondering where the story will take the characters and if they will ever figure out what it is they want, individually or together. And that curiosity means that even though I wasn't crazy about this book I will probably read the next book in this trilogy before too long. The need to know what will happen next is far greater than my "dislike" of this story.
on September 23, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
This book was brought to my attention as comparable to Fifty Shades of Grey. So I leaped on it. Let me just say that this book is more like Fifty Shades of F'ed Up, pardon my language. Anyway, still I'm compelled to read more and soon if possible. Okay my review will follow my roller coaster ratings from beginning to end.

Always, I begin at four stars for everyone. This one was no different. We meet Summer. And let me say that she is no saint and I'm okay with that. I don't have to like the main character to enjoy story. More than that, I find that I admire Summer for making no bones about who and what she is. I can appreciate that what she does is no her own terms and isn't hurting anyone else in the process.

The story then picks up in this strange game of push and pull between Summer and Dominik. I am fascinated at this point. It's a bit weird and almost unbelievable yet I do believe. I could see it based on the personalities of both. So I am stared like a rabbit in a fox hole. This large section of the story is hot, hot, hot and all five shiny stars for me.

Then we hit about the 70% or 80% mark of the book and Summer changes. The girl who did what she wanted how and when she wanted became what she said she wasn't. She began to do things she knew weren't right at the whim of another for no real compelling reason. If she was heartbroken, I might have understood it. Yet, the author really didn't convey that as the reason for her slippery fall. The things she did out right grossed me out, repulsed me. This shouldn't have affected my rating but the believability of her actions just wasn't there.

On top of it Dominik did things that are a "NO" in my book. You just don't cross certain lines and he did.

Further disturbing is the resolution of the story. It was as if the publisher gave a limit on the number of words and the author realized she had to wrap it up. The solution came to quickly and unbelievably, forced. Still there was a bit of a cliff hanger and I would have much preferred if the cliff hanger would have come before the plane ride (for those who've read, you understand what I'm saying).

Anyway, I still was captured by this story enough to look for the next book which is only available in the UK. I want to read more and bad. I'm not sure what that says about me, lol.

Do I recommend, well if you liked the sex and BDSM of Fifty Shades of Grey, you will probably enjoy this one. If you like the romance of Fifty, this isn't it. Still, overall I quite enjoyed. Did I mention I read straight through the night until 4am. Now that things are back on track sort of, I want to see when the preverbal shit hits the fan of the truth of everything is revealed.

See my full review at [...]
on August 31, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
Eighty Days Yellow is another book with the "If You Liked Fifty Shades" flash on the cover. It's also a trilogy. This is where the similarity ends.

The book is written by two popular authors who have teamed up and penned under a pseudonym. This is the story of violinist Summer Zahova. She's from New Zealand and lives in London. She makes money by working part-time jobs and busking in the London Underground. She's in a relationship with a man who doesn't understand her and can't accept her for who she is. Therefore, the story truly begins when Summer breaks off the relationship and soon meets Dominik.

Dominik is a dom, and after hearing Summer play in an Underground station, he wants her. Her music captivated him, as did the fact that she was completely unaware of her surroundings when she played. He contacts her via Facebook after hearing of a mishap which caused her violin to be destroyed, promising to replace it if she will accept his challenge.

From there, the whirlwind affair begins. Dominik poses many challenges for Summer, which she accepts, some more willingly than others. But she accepts because she wants to please him. She doesn't believe she's a true submissive, but still spends a great deal of time exploring her dark side both with and without Dominik. It's wild, it's kinky, and surprisingly, it's also tender in places.

So although the love story isn't as traditional as some others, there's definitely a type of love within the pages of the book. It's just all mixed in with the BDSM and head games. If you're looking for a well-written, erotic and engaging read, you should definitely check out Eighty Days Yellow. I'll definitely be reading the next two books in the series.
on August 3, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I don't even know where to begin. I have to say that cover caught my eye. Black and white picture, woman looked mysterious. It didn't bother me that book didn't had any reviews, it was brand new. There have been a whole bunch of new and amazing writers this year, so I desidet to give it a chance.
As I started reading I found story mysterious. I thought it was interesting that she was so consumed by her music that at times it felt like she wasn't even there. Like out of body experience. She is in a unfolfilling relationship, where she feels like she can't be her self. Even though she is talking about wanting more out of it, she says that his appartament is one of the reasons she is with him. His sterio system is another reason. She likes lieng on the floor and listen to music turned to the max (???).
And then there is the guy. She caught his eye, or his ear in this case, when she was playing her violin one day on the street. He got intrigued and decided to pursue her. But she never returned to that spot again.
And it was ok up until the point where he found an article in a newspaper. That's where things went south in my opinion. First of all, why the story about a girl who's violen got broken even be in a news papers, with her full name?
And then there were one bizarre episode after another. According to my kindle it started some time after I passed 13%. As strange as his proposal sounded, I couldn't blame it on a dude, he came across as a kinky bastard. But the thing that trew me off was how easily she accepted it. And then, she was questioning her self all the way through the book "why am I doing this". I felt like author failed to explain her behavior.
Then there were whole bunch of other characters, like her and his friends, who didn't helped the story one bit. Doing things, that I'm not gonna go in to the details explaining, for the sake of doing. It just grossed me out.
I felt like there were no story line. There was the beginning and that's it. After that all I got was one weird scene after another, with no relevance to the story. Or maybe it was the whole point. I don't know. And the half way through the book I was so grossed out and confused that I didn't care much. I was trying to find the main point in the story, but I never did. I don't even think that story had one.
The girl have been screwed by one guy, then by her friend and the friend of her friend AND by the friend of the first guy, who introduced her to the whole bunch of other weirdos. All that time, while she was being past from one to another, she was wondering "Do I like it? Maybe not. I think I do. No I don't.". And then, at the very end, she decides to go back to the first guy, who started the whole thing in a first place. Who, by the way, was screwing her friend. I realize that my review makes little sense, but that's how I felt when I was reading the book. It just didn't made any sense.
But the thing that provoked me the most was that this book had a tag "If you liked fifty shades, you will love...". I felt like it was an insult to E. L. James, who had actually put a lot of work in her books.
I'm not gonna campaign to not to read this book, read it and make your own opinion. But I felt like it was total waste of my time.
on July 2, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
(My descript part of my review are just a few snippets of the actual story there is more that I could add but...)

Summer is a violinist. One day while playing in the subway (tube, I guess that is how that the authors described it) for change, she found herself in the midst of a drunk brawl between some soccer players. Her violin was damaged beyond repair.

A few days later, she logs onto her Facebook account and finds a single message:
I am willing to gift you with a new violin. Do you accept my challenge? With the signature of the letter D"
Summer knew a few people that had the beginning letter of D and the account yield very little information of this mystery man's true identity.
She agrees to meet up and the challenge is one that she wasn't expecting. One that she agrees to but...

Written by two people using the penname, Vina Jackson writes this series. The book is NOT for the faint of heart reader. This goes DEEPER into the world of BDSM. If you are seeking out some fluffy romantic stuff like FSOG, my suggestion would be to look elsewhere because this is NOT one of those book.

The book is FULL of hardcore BDSM kinkiery and f*ckery (yeah I know that they may be a made up words but it is the best I can think of at the moment of writing this review) all around hardcore and some hard limits for me personal.

Some of the hard-limits for me personally was the full out orgies, unprotected sex, humiliation, degrading and derogatory scenes first from Charlotte & Dominik then leading to Victor selling her for an hour to a stranger to ... (Truly fudged up, the only thing I can say is fortunately that the authors did a glance over and didn't get into in-depth details cause...)
Each chapter of the book has a different POV (point of view) of either Summer's or Dominik's.
The book starts out slow, which I found a bit dull.
I received the book for an honest review, thank you.

This is a DARK and SADISTIC book that was out of the realm of being something that I would normally read. Overall a 2.5 star count for me...
on March 2, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
This book is supposed to be for those who really enjoyed the 50 Shades series which I clearly did not. So, of course I am thinking well, it can't be that bad can it? Of course it can, it can be worse. If you liked 50 shades you might like this, but Eighty days is much, much darker and has much less 'romance' as it's more about sexual discovery and sexual compatibility. It's just really irritating, I don't like weak women, I loathe weak characters, I don't like weak men either but weak women who feel like they have no control over their lives, like they need someone to tell them how to live & what to do, it just infuriates me. Now, I get the culture of BDSM, I get that there are people who need to be sexually dominated, but that doesn't have to bleed over into real life, and it doesn't have to take over your entire existence. Whatever, this book is just grrr. Summer and Dominik are the main characters, we see the story through both of their POVs the majority of this story is getting background information on both of our characters and why they decided to choose an overtly sexual path, but there is no reason to why they let it define them. Anyway, it's really slow, and really boring, and the seduction of Summer is interesting, it involves private concerts, violins and some orgy like scenes, but whatever. I don't like this book, I just don't, there isn't really a quality of any character that is intriguing, there isn't plot point that makes me want to continue and I hate the idea of sexual slavery. There was 10x more that I disliked about this book, but we haven't the time. Will people like this? I'm sure they do, there's something for everyone. I just didn't.
on October 14, 2012
Format: Paperback
A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I am disturbed, horrified, and saddened by this book. I'm still trying to process the story, the characters, the motives; all of it.

As I was reading this story I found myself getting depressed and not in a this is a good book and I'm heartbroken for the characters way. I was saddened by the motivations and machinations employed by Dominick. On top of that I was even more saddened by Summer and inability to stand up for herself.

I felt like Summer fell into a rabbit hole and didn't know how to get out of it. What bothered me about that was that she realized she could say no, she could refuse to do any of the bizarre and destructive things asked of her, yet she continued to do these things. I want to clarify that BDSM is not destructive when all parties involved are in agreement and have the same ideas and goals. However, Summer just blindly went along with everything. I didn't have these qualms when she was involved with Dominick because she knew what was involved prior to the scene. The one exception to that was when Charlotte, her supposed friend, was involved. In my opinion Charlotte just needed a good ole bitch slap! When Summer became involved with Victor she was out of control. She went along with everything he wanted even when it didn't feel right to her.

Dominick had some redeeming qualities, but there weren't many. He was honest with Summer up front about their relationship. However, he was playing games with her and not necessarily good games.

I had a very hard time connecting with the characters and the story. I felt disconnected from it and couldn't get immersed in the world Ms. Jackson was creating. When I read stories I get a feeling of movement from the writing of the authors. I may feel rushed as I read or I may feel desperate or anxious as I read. It all depends on the story and the writing. As I was reading Eighty Days of Yellow I often felt like I was swimming through molasses. It was a struggle for me. I think this was from my lack of connection with the characters or the story.

I think the premise of the story is fantastic and I looked forward to reading it. I expected more from Dominick as he led Summer into the world of D/s. I expected Summer to keep her identity but then realized as I was reading, she doesn't have one outside of music.
on September 18, 2012
Format: Paperback
Drawn in by the 50 Shades of Grey comparisons? Eighty Days Yellow is the perfect book to read, but only if you are prepared for how strikingly different it is. This book is eloquently written, filled with suspense and has plenty of intrigue. You'll find it filled to the brim with very intense scenes that make this book not for the faint of heart.

The setup is semi-stereotypical with a pre-arranged situation being worked out for payment of an item. In this case, Summer needs a new violin and Dominik is our mysterious benefactor. As compensation for his gift, he requires her to play for him in some rather odd and intense settings. Before all this happens, however, we start by meeting Summer and her boyfriend Darren, who is the polar opposite of her. It's apparent that Summer is a free will-type when we first meet her laying on the floor of her Darren's apartment while listening to Vivaldi's four seasons. Dominik is introduced to us as well and it's apparent that he's our typical aloof and mysterious male, but in the best of ways. This leads to some interesting situations between the two. By the end of the book, the love story elements start to shine through past the BDSM material.

This book personally left me hankering for a sequel. I honestly found every single scene stirred up somethingin me as I read them. It was wholly enjoyable to read and watch the relationship between Summer/Dominik develop into something more than just sex.

Finally, I would love to give this book a perfect rating but, due to the minor formatting issues that I'm unsure of being present in the final version, I can only give it a 4 out of 5. I highly recommend this title if you are willing to try something different and better than 50 Shades of Grey. Also be willing to actually work while reading it to find the love story hidden beneath the BDSM elements. This book is definitely worth the cash to delve into this erotic world.
on October 13, 2012
Format: Paperback
This book is marketed after the "Fifty Shades" trilogy, which I read because how could you not read a series that is single-handedly changing the US literary market, actually also the European literary market, considering the trilogy has been translated in Italian too.
Anyway, this book and the infamous trilogy have very few aspects in common; "Eighty Days Yellow" is darker, and more than an anguished love story, is an exploration of the human nature through sex. What the two well rounded and developed protagonists find at the end of their journey, is how much murkiness they have inside, it scares them, and they momentarily pull themselves out, but they're still walking on the edge of a precipice, and the fall is still one small step away.
The atmospheres are an apt accompaniment to the characters' feelings: gloomy interiors and nights, and almost grotesque situations and side characters. Some of it reminded me of Stanley Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".
The writing is polished and, at times, even elegant.