4.0 out of 5 stars Good product.
My 11 year old son played this after he opened it for Christmas. He lost against the computer which is a good thing due to the fact that he can beat his teachers in chess without a problem. I believe this game will help advance his skill level. He states that "you have to press down kinda hard on each square for the pieces to register". I would def buy this again.
Published on December 25, 2009 by A. Turner

1.0 out of 5 stars Some squares do not work.... Frustrating.
Published on October 19, 2011 by Arvind

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Some squares do not work.... Frustrating., October 19, 2011
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
I've seen this complaint about Excalibur's chess products online, after I experienced it myself. In my case, the H8 square was not working. So everytime a King side castling move needed to be done, the computer would not let me proceed. For those of you who are looking to buy this, the chess computer requires you to press (either the piece or your finger) on the starting square and the destination square, when a move is made. So when I say that a square does not work, I mean that the computer does not recognize a press on that square.

I returned mine. DB Roth was kind enough to give me a refund even though I had passed the return date. Amazon paid for half of the cost to ship it back to them. So, I can't say I was very unhappy with the return process.

Advice to future buyers of this product. Don't buy it. I was lucky that I found this problem on a square that is frequently moved from. It is quite possible that other sets would have problems on squares where moves are not made that often. You would not want to catch that after 3-4 months of owning the board, especially, if you are buying this to play casually once in a while.

In my case, I bought this for my son to learn. After this experience, I decided to buy a more expensive chess computer - the Novag Aquamarine through Amazon. I will write a review of it once I receive it. I found one user having a similar complaint about one of the inexpensive chess computers from Saitech as well, and so I got cautious, and stayed away from them as well. The Novag Aquamarine does not have a single user review. I hope I am luckier this time. I say that because I have even seen a good review of one these chess computers say that they loved it even though the presses on the squares stopped working after the first two weeks. I'm sure I wouldn't love that. In the end, it looks like getting any of these chess computers is a bit of a gamble.

I also considered buying an autosensory board, but decided against it. There is only one I could find, called the Novag Citrine that is $150 and is not available on Amazon. Although I have not seen any major complaints about it, I decided against buying it. These autosensory boards do not require presses, because the pieces have magnets and I suppose the square are able to pick up the magnets. This means there is more than one thing that can go wrong with these boards. In addition to a square going bad, it is possible that a magnet could fall off a piece or could lose it's magnetization.

My main reasons for buying a chess computer :-
1. Keep my son away from using a computer for chess - keep him from straining his eyes. He already watches too much TV IMHO.
2. I'm not good at chess, I would like him to learn and grow up playing a worthy opponent from the get go.
3. He doesn't have to depend on me or my wife to be able to play chess. When he's with his friends, they don't really want to play chess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product., December 25, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Excalibur chess, January 24, 2011
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
Bought it for my sons (10 and 7). They love playing it and so do I. It has many levels - perfect for beginners and more experienced players also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very user-friendly. Sound quality is poor., January 30, 2011
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
It is nice and durable. The size is just right, and actually bigger than how it looked in the picture, which was a pleasant surprise. Easy to carry around and nothing to easily damage. I wish the magnetics was stronger so the pieces stay in place properly. Message sound quality is very poor. The unit is not very user friendly. And you can not use rechargable batteries, it seems. Because each battery is 1.2V instead of 1.5 in alkaline, the total of 4-batteries make enough difference in voltage for the unit to not work at all, even for a short time. So I suspect even with alkaline batteries they need to be very fresh before they stop working. All said, and with the low price, it is worth it. Just have to get used to its idiosyncracies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the beginning chess player, June 2, 2010
nekko1 "nekko1" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
Our 10 year old pulls it out when she wants to practice and although she was initially able to beat it, by upping the levels she can hit a level that is challenging. Good item for the price, especially for the beginner to lower intermediate level player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
This one is a replacement of the identical one I wore out recently. So far it functions as expected. Love It!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronic Chess wizard, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
I like the magnetic pieces to the game ;but it keeps shutting off but in other words its a great game for my husband. Just plese let me know which battery it takes so I can avoid the problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess Wizard, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
It seems that no one I know plays chess well. It has been many years, but the chess wizard is a very nice addition. It even shows me much of what I have forgotten. I'm glad I purchased the Chess Wizard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronic chess game, February 4, 2011
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
This is a wonderful little unit for someone who wants to learn the game of chess
and test their abilities. The unit has plenty of advancement levels that will
allow the player to grow their skill level. Unit is a little small but other
than that it is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift idea for a young chess player, September 14, 2009
J. C. Nelson (Peoria, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electronic Chess Wizard (Toy)
I got this for my nephew's birthday. Its light and portable so he can take it in the car or use it at home. He loved it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›